Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

3 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

first RTB... a rescue story

today i was working my the biology lab at my school, and another researcher comes in and asks me if i have seen the boa in the bio office. i go in and find a young red tailed boa in a small tank trying to fit in a small dog bowl(he had half hanging out), with a small heat lap on the glass beside him.

apparently they found him in a dorm room that has been vacant since may 5th. one of the bio professors was stopping by every once in a while to check on him, but other then that it was like a circus, everyone walking in to see him. he looked so stressed out.

so i grabbed a tub that was digger then the water dish, and moved him into it. i figured he was in his water cause the tank had NO humidity. i also layed down some newspaper as substrate (there was nothing before). when i picked him up he looked on the skinny side, and had what looked like rat bites or burns on him. about three small ones that looked like they had healed a little.

well i talked to the lady that was keeping him and told her i can give him a nice place to stay with plenty of heat and humidity and some nice food to eat, and she said to take him. there was a list of about 5 people that wanted him, but non of them have ever owned a snake or knew anything about them, they just saw it as a cool pet. it happened before and i wasn't going to let it happen again. his pervious owner didn't want to take care of him so he left him in his dorm room. boy what i would like to do to that little... anyway i brought him home and set him up an a 20 gal tank, until i can get to target and find him a nice tub.

so thats my little story. i have researched RTBs for some time cause i was planning on getting one months from now. but i just couldn't say no to this guy and have him be missed treated again. you will probably see me post some questions down the road... and when i get him settled in i will snap some pictures and see if anyone can help me out with a locale or what sub species him might be.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Re: first RTB... a rescue story

Oh it's wonderful you've given this snake a home Kevin. Do make sure you are keeping it in strict quarantine as all rescues should be, especially when you have a mixed collection. Boas are, in my opinion, just lovely snakes...can't imagine our house now without at least one in it. It's probably best since you have no history on this snake to plan a vet visit. You can get it sexed, get a fecal float done and have it checked out properly (over all exam, mouth exam, etc.) Do watch on feeding night...most boas have a very long strike range and a very strong feeding response.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

i have a vet visit scheduled for monday,i might hold off tho because he hasn't pooed for me. he was fed by a bio professor on weds so i hope i can get some this weekend, or mon before the visit.

as for the quarantine, i had to put him in my bp's tank, an put my bp in the top shelf of my corn snakes. i have an extra 3" of heat tape on the top drawer and it is keeping the temps up. so he will be fine. i went to walmart and bought a nice tub for him, but since i don't have any flexwatt i can't but him in it. i am going to the taylor show tomorrow so hopefully i can pick up some flexwatt, if not i'll have to call Rich. once i get him in the tub the tank is going to be cleaned heavy duty, even though i don't plan on putting the bp back in it. i just needed an excuse to put him in the rack (the girlfriend loved to watch him in the tank). this tank has been moved to a totally separate room then my rack.

i am really excited about taking this step forward in snake keeping. i wasn't planning on jumping right into a 3-4' boa right off the bat, but this guy is so calm and easy going (for now).
    -Kevin

Thanks

If you need to take him to a vet at anytime try this one:

Canton Center Animal Hospital
    5900 Canton Center Road, Canton, MI
    734-459-1400

They have a great herp vet there.
    RIP Scout 4-5