Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,986

2 members and 2,984 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Question Behavior of Baby BP

I recently got a new little BP, weighing around 60grams, I've never delt with one this small as the other one i got was four times this size, but every time I hold him, he is always in a tight 's' position. Is this just because his age/size and will he eventually grow out of it, and warm up?

Here is a pic of him...
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...1/103_1869.JPG

I also got one about a week before, i got that one, and hes a lot more friendly, once i get him out of the tank. lol. Hes also twice he size as the other one, about 110grams.

Heres a pic of the other...
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/gallery/...1/103_1859.JPG

So, is it just their age thats causing them to be in the "s" position when being held, and will they grow out of it, the more I handle them.?

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Behavior of Baby BP

Consider this...

You are BIG

Your snake is SMALL

It is just protecting itself. Once it realizes that you are not a threat, it should be more willing to unravel.

Handle it more often, and it will "warm up" to you, as you said.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

in the second pic is that a camera in the bin with the snake, snakes cant take pics heh heh, cute babies...

Thanks

hehe the BP wants to be a model
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks

they won't always 'warm up to you' although even if they're not looking to strike at you they may S up anyway, in my experience it can be kind of an attentive thing, like a dog picking up it's ears. Then again, or it could be ready to defend itself from the big scary thing towering over it, or they think you're going to feed them. Take your pick.

Thanks

Think a bit from the snake's position. It's small, it's instincts are screaming that you may likely eat it, it hasn't the brain power to have a clue who you are and that you mean the best for it. You are quite simply a big, heat emitting possible predator that swoops in from above and scoops it out of it's safety zone. It just needs to survive. In order to do that the only choices available are....going into a defensive S....curling up into a tight ball to protect it's vulnerable head...escaping....hiding...biting. That's about it when you are a snake, especially a baby one.

Do remember that these are naturally shy, pretty nocturnal snakes...even more so as vulnerable small babies. Handling is something we keepers want but our snakes don't necessarily need so be respectful of that gift they allow us. Overhandling of stressed young hatchlings can lead to their decline, refusals to eat or in the worst cases, a suppression of their immune systems to the point of illness and death.

Personally I don't handle any snake under 150-200 grams except when absolutely necessary for cage maintenance, a quick picture or a quick check over/weighing. Up until that size I'm just way more concerned about them eating regularily, pooping, passing urates and shedding. There's oodles of time to work on handling when they are bigger and stronger I figure.
    ~~Joanna~~