Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,160

1 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Discussion on Rat food.

There has long been discussion on whether or not dog food is a good diet for rats and if it's a good complete diet. What exactlly ARE the nutritional requirments for rodents and how were those requirements determined? I've been using an all dog food diet for my rodent colony now for a year and a half with the occaisional inclusion of some sunflower seeds as treats. I've had several generations of rats now that have eaten nothing else. I haven't noticed any difference in my rat colony than when I was feeding a lab block diet. At one time I thought I was having a problem with fewer litters and smaller litter sizes, however once I replaced my old breeders with younger ones, the production went back to normal.

I've always been of the mind that the ingrediants in the bag are more important then the picture on the front. Here is the list of ingrediants to the brand of Dog food I use, it seems to me that the list is, while not identical, very similar to the list of ingredients on the bags of rodent chow I've used in the past. The only major difference I've been able to determine is the amount of money left in my pocket. With the dog food costing me $11.95 for a 50lb bag, and the harlan teklad costing me over $19.00 for a 33lb bag, the savings really adds up. So, how is feeding dog food 'bad' if it meets all of their nutritional requirements?

List of ingredients.
    Wheat middlings, ground yellow corn, soybean meal, poultry by-product meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), calcium carbonate, salt, minerals (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, manganous oxide, mineral oil, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, pantothenic acid, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride.

The dog food I use also has this note under the list of ingrediants.
    'Sprout Chunk Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutrtional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance of adult dogs.'

So, I'm wondering, Does the AAFCO also have a Rodent food Nutrient profile? If so, where can I find this information? I tired looking it up on the web but I was only able to find their listing of nutritional requirements for Dogs and Cats.

Thanks

Re: Discussion on Rat food.

I think this thread could be a very good one...as long as everyone doesn't try and stereotype the feed.

I see a lot of "dog food" is bad and "lab block" is good comments. But these type of comments are stereotyping the foods.

Yes Dog food is designed for dogs - but that doesn't mean certain brands and/or mixes won't have the correct ingredients or nutritional values to be good for rats.

Yes Lab Block is designed for rats - but this doesn't mean that ALL lab blocks are created equal. Several of the pet store brands have alfalfa as a base ingredient (which we know rats cannot digest) which also raise the protein higher than needed.

Just something to keep in mind that in order for this thread to be meaningful we will need to be brand and product specific when saying something is good or bad.
    Sean

Thanks

Here's three versions of the same article of a study done on the protein content of rats' food and how it affected Kidney Diseases.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...37720545959705

Now, how much of an issue that this is, well, that's another issue. If the rats are on a diet that merely sustains them (not optimal), how does that in turn affect the predators eating them, if at all? I think THAT is the more important question here, as opposed to whether or not one food is better for the rats or not.

My own reasoning goes like this - do what is healthiest for the rats, which will be healthiest for the snakes. If feeding a high protein diet to rats is bad for them, I feel like that would be bad for the snakes as well.

edit: if you ever want to do some real research, start at least with google scholar. It only includes peer-reviewed publications that are MUCH more reputable and does not include all of the Melissa Kaplan type of BS that shows up on the regular searches.
    -Brad

Thanks

I feed my rats lab block, supplemented by the occasional chicken bone, dog milk bone or peanuts....

Rats have been around for hundreds of years and are one of the most sucessfulll animals on the planet. They are on every continent except antartica. Wild rats eat garbage and they are thriving.

Thanks

What tye of Dog food are you using. I had been using Flint River Mills lab block. But had problems. Most of the fat was a chicken skin. Made the rats smell worse and they seemed to not thrive on it as well. Todd

Thanks

Well, through my experience keeping rats as pets as well as helping raise a colony of breeders with a friend, I found that no one food does the total trick. The key to rats being healthy and happy is variety, just like with many other animals. They need a base diet, usually a mix of healthy grains, and the addition of different foods on top of that. My friend's colony was fed on a diet learned from this site (Which also happens to be where I got my current girls from)
    http://www.freewebs.com/camarattery/diets.htm

Tho certainly not the LAW of rat feeding, her page points out many good and bad things and her diet mix, supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies and the occasional treat, is what I have been giving my girls for a year now.

Thats my on the subject.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I can't dispute the use of dog foods other than that are formulated for just that...dogs. I have fed *some* dog food but not as a staple. For me personally I am happy to buy a food specifically formulated for rodents. Not to long ago I was using a cheaper block, it was for rodents but the ingredients and quality was not there. After changing to what I will say is a higher quality food, albeit a little more expensive I saw a drastic change in my rodents overall. Larger healthier litters and nicer looking adults -not that I ever thought they looked bad or where unhealthy before. The biggest result was with the litters as I said they seem to be larger and growth rate is excellent. I take full advantage of the fact that the company has put time, effort, and money into a rodent feed product so I don't have to guess or hope that something else is "close" enough to what they should get in order to thrive. It is my goal not just to keep my rodents alive and fat while I have them but healthy and thriving as much as they can be in such an environment. If this can be accomplished then I know my snakes are getting the highest quality rodents.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Because rats are omnivores we feed them as such. They receive a base dry mix that contains dog food, lab block, various other things such as dry pasta, large flake oatmeal, raisins, etc. Other than the base of dog food and lab block the other dry mix items change percentages as I pick this or that up. They have this available to them daily to free feed from and there's very little wasted.

They also receive 2 to 3 times a week, kitchen scraps which might include chicken bones, steak bones, cooked meat scraps, cooked pasta, vegetables both cooked and raw....basically things that would end up in my garbage can but instead are put to good use by the rats. I consider this an excellent use for our human leftovers and basically free rat food.

We've been feeding this way for a couple of years now. I don't see protein issues with their coats, they are fit rats that are producing consistently large litters, they are producing litters for a very good useful breeding lifespan and are healthy and vibrant when they go into retirement from the breeding pool. I think it's best to feed an animal specific to that animal so for me a pure dog food diet just doesn't work for rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The major rat breeder near me feeds pig food to the rats. I haven't found out what kind, but it's special ordered in by the local feed store for them.
    Pigs are omnivores too, so might it be a closer diet?
    A feed store near me SMALL-TIME breeds mice and rats, and they also feed pig pellets. They say the rats/mice do well on it, and breed well.
    I have tried the lab block, and dog food, and combining them, and feeding a mice of fresh fruits, veggies, dog food and lab block.
    The best was the combo with fresh veggies and fruits.
    The WORST was the plain dog food(BUT... it was a lower quality dog food, like think.. Old Roy garbage). The rats did lousy on it.
    At no time did I notice any higher rates of cannabalism. When a rat died, they would tend to start eating it. I DID have a few more deaths on the dog-food only diet, which is why that trial was cut short very very quickly.
    Now, they are eating the pig pellets(annoying, because they are tiny pellets and I have to use dishes again) and I'm not sure I'm very happy with it. I'll probaly end up going back to lab block mainly, with added dog food(high quality) and veggies and fruits according to what's on sale.
    I'll be following this thread, so I can make a decision on the new diet ideas. I also have to replace a large number of my breeders, as they are already over a year old(some)
    Wolfy
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

My mice are getting the non-medicated Hog Finisher pellets right now, as I ran out of lab block and won't be getting any more until Saturday. They go through it a LOT faster than they do the Mazuri, so I think it's not as filling.

I just want to share that I recently learned that raw corn on the cob is not good for the rats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast