Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

1 members and 3,447 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

need lighting help

I got a new/used tank and I am picking it up this weekend. The water turtles I think they are red ears have outgrown the current tank( a long time ago) anyhow I found a used tank 60 gallon long three times as big as the current tank. It has a standard hood and its plexiglass (yeah I know about scratches, it already has those but I got the tank and stand for $100 bucks so im not complaining) anyhow I need lighting help
    Since its plexiglass I have to be carefull of the heat I can cut one of the top so it will be more open so it wont be exposed to excessive heat but my question is what is the best option for lighting and heat ect I read up and it seems mercury vapor bulbs are the best but my tank isnt a large square tank, so I am thinking a fluorescent Bulb (for the UVA, UVB) and a ceramic (which I already have ) for heat . Would it be best for a mercury vapor bulb on the basking side and then a normal flurescent blub on the cool (water) side?

If I can utilize the two refector dishes I have and just have to get bulbs and the filter it will be better for me.
    I think the mercury bulb will be $50

Can anyone give me some suggestions, I am trying to cut down on cost because I have to get a new filter, my fluval 405 is old and just isnt cutting it.
    so far I have two metal dish reflectors one of them is a normal socket for like the multi sectrum bulbs the other has a ceramic socket.
    I will be setting up the new tank this weekend, I will run both filters the new one most likely a Eheim 2236 and the fluval 405 so I dont lose my bacteria. I dont use tap water I use reverse osmosis water I get from the pet store.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Re: need lighting help

I've never used plexiglass tanks, but I'd imagine the light would have to be way too hot for the turts in order to melt the plexiglass (if it even melts, I don't know).

I use the TRex Active UV heat bulb. It's a uva/uvb combo but is not suitable for tanks under 50gal. How big is yours? How big are the turtles? If you are going to use separate bulbs for heat and for uvb, they both need to be over the basking area. UVB will go through water, but not enough for it to be useful. Either way, you'll need a lamp with a ceramic base to be safe.
    0.2.0 red eared sliders
    1.0.0 Three toed box turtle
    1.0.0 ball python
    1.0.0 common boa
    1.0.0 dumbo rat

Thanks

I will be using two separte bulbs a uba, uvb I think I will be using the repile sun 10.0 and then a ceramic heat thing. I have light fixtures with ceramic sockets so that is not a problem. The tank is a 80 gallon long and wide, I have them in a 40 tall tank which they have outgrown big time. I havent measured them but one is 4" and the other is 6" I will be looking for an upgrade tank in 4 months I am just tight for cash and $100 bucks is a good deal for the tank and stand, its not what I wanted but this wil give me a little more time to find a even bigger tank at least they will be able to swim around right now they cant.
    I will be selling my old tank and probably using the cash toward a 100gallon in Dec.

My sister has feed them too much an in the last year they have grown like weeds on speed!!! These guys are little piggy's

Thanks

I know. My ex was feeding them and not telling me. By the time they were 6 months old, they were 4 inches and pyramiding. I've slowed their growth down to about an inch per year, which is the ideal. They only eat pellets/worms 3 times a week now with veggies in between. I've got mine in a 125long
    0.2.0 red eared sliders
    1.0.0 Three toed box turtle
    1.0.0 ball python
    1.0.0 common boa
    1.0.0 dumbo rat