Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

2 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Couple ackie questions...

I've been reading about them quite a bit, and quite a few people say to leave the light on 24 hours a day, that seems a bit odd to me but maybe other keepers could tell me. Also do you have to use dirt or you can use cypress mulch * I think I read that somewhere * Doe's anyone know a life expectancy on these guy's I cant find that in any care sheets I've been reading.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Re: Couple ackie questions...

Dirt, dirt and dirt.
    The proper kind of dirt, they dig burrows, so it must hold shape.

Thanks

Also can anyone tell me a good monitor book I should pick up?
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

the 24 hour light is all about giving the monitor the choice to do as it sees fit. Monitors are rather stubborn instinctual animals and will do right by themselves if you give them the right conditions that allow them to successfully regulate themselves. They need to be able to burrow, but depending on who you talk to, there is the idea of a nest box vs. burrowing throughout the enclosure. Frank Retes is a good person to listen to about this as he has kept and reproduced many species of monitors successfully for years while others cannot even successfully keep them alive.
    Daniel1983 is probably who to ask about monitors here, he currently keeps some V. storri.

Thanks

to finish my thought. sorry I got really distracted....
    many people seem to buy monitors looking for a dog. They want something to cuddle with and walk on a leash.
    people who own monitors say, a mean/fiesty monitor is a healthy monitor. Although there are some situations where the owner and the monitor reach an agreement and get along quite well.
    somewhere this lack of tameness is lost in translation and many new owners are disenchanted because they wanted something closer to a puppy than a dragon.
    But the rest I'll leave to those with more experience.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

there's not to many good ackie care books but i would definitely recommend australian goannas. its better to join a good message board with knowledgeable people that know about monitors. if you IM me i can give you the links to a couple.
    -marshall

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris B
    I've been reading about them quite a bit, and quite a few people say to leave the light on 24 hours a day, that seems a bit odd to me but maybe other keepers could tell me.
    Monitors thrive when they constantly have access to a broad range of environmental conditions. 24 hour lighting is a mechanism used to provide 24 hour heat. The light actually has little to do with it....the goal is to privide a constant basking temperature. Since most monitors require a basking temperature of at least 135 deg., using lamps to provide heat 24/7 is one of the most commonly used methods. Unlike other lizards, the health of the monitors is uneffected by 24/7 lighting because if a monitor is 'tired' or 'wants to get out of the light'....they burrow into the soil where it is dark and cool...pretty simple concept.

All of my Storr's monitors are kept with 24/7 heat. I use lamps to achieve the proper temps, so they also have 24/7 light and are doing great.

Also do you have to use dirt or you can use cypress mulch * I think I read that somewhere *
    As it was said....Dirt, dirt and more dirt. Monitors love to burrow. You might have read of people using cypress mulch as part of a soil mix or spreading it across the top of the soil to hold moisture(kinda simulates leaf litter). Using cypress mulch(as well as certain soils) as the only substrate would be insufficent for burrowing.

I use soil mixes. Most are a combination of topsoil, clay, peat moss, fine vermiculite, and sand. I just combine ingredients until I get something that holds a good burrow and moisture.

Doe's anyone know a life expectancy on these guy's I cant find that in any care sheets I've been reading.
    While I don't recall the longest lived ackie in captivity, I do remember someone stating that they had one around 15 years old.

I noticed that you refer to 'care sheets' and 'reading' in your post. Monitor keeping is nothing like keeping snakes or other lizards. Get the thought of a 'caresheet' out of your head now. There are no set guidelines or standards for keeping monitors. Caresheets and articles on the internet will only give you an idea of how to keep the animals.....the majority of care you have to learn yourself by observing your monitors...and that is one of the main reasons that monitors are my favorite animal to keep

Thanks

bulbs ?

hey daniel 1983,

with ackies what size bulb would you use?
    i have a 100w and it is maintaining my temps and suface basking temp, is see a lot of people using one 45w halogen.

also the 24/7 lighting/heating is that on a thermostat?

cheers.

I like your information provided, ope you can advise

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

6 year old Zombie thread alert.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2