Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,434

0 members and 2,434 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Is she eating enough?

Hey guys, its been a while since I have posted here, but I have a question to run buy you.

My snake has been eating once a week up until about 2 months ago. I decided to try feeding her every monday and thursday. She is eating fun but she just seems sooo anxious each time.

I just finished feeding and as soon as I open the top to her cage she begins to fly up to the top looking for food. The second she is in striking range the mouse is already constricted.

Currently I am feeding f/t adult mice. Should I consider xl mice? I have already tried rats, but she has no interest in them.

Thanks,
    David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Re: Is she eating enough?

You can try putting in some mouse bedding in the enclosure 15 minutes before introducing a rat and chances are she will eat it. Some never switch over though. It's cheaper than multiple mice, usually.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

The only way to properly answer your question as to if she is eating enough, would be to know the size of your Ball Python. However, I have found over the years, that you will get a snake that eats more consistently year around if you stay on a one prey item once a week schedule. With that said, if you have an adult ball python that refuses to switch to rats, I currently have three snakes like this, I do feed them 2 or 3 mice, depending on the snakes size, once a week. Hope that helps.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Common mistake is to overfeed snakes in captivity.

Now it is possible you might want to feed multiple preys once a week (2-3 as Tim suggested) however it depends on how big is your BP.

I decided to try feeding her every monday and thursday.
    You need to allow at least 5 days between feeding.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

ok, I will switch back to once a week then. I read of quite a few people feeding a couple times a week so I thought I would give it a try.

How do I feed multiple? Just offer another when she has finished the first one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zreon
    How do I feed multiple? Just offer another when she has finished the first one?
    Correct. I wouldn't leave the second prey item in any longer than about 20 minutes. Normally if they want another, they'll take it fairly quickly.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I'll let you know how it goes on monday I guess

Thanks

i think it's a little harder feeding multiple prey with F/T. the times i thaw 2 he wants one, the days when i only do one the little bugger stares at me like that all ya got buddy?
    -Kevin

Thanks

I dont know if this will pertain to your situation but if your snake is underweight...
    I had a girl that would not eat for about 4 months. I was concerned because she was losing weight. She lost 100grams off her 700gram weight. I had to get her to eat to get a fecal sample for the vet to check for parasites.
    I continued to offer every week a rat then after she refused a mouse. I heard that once a snake is almost done swallowing (just the tail hanging out) you can follow up with a pk/ft right after and they will continue to swallow. Well she finally took a mouse so I placed a prekilled mouse inbetween her open jaws and she took it no prob.
    I guess technically this is assist feeding but it was very low stress for her as I did not have to pick her up or anything she just kept on swallowing. In the long run I got her fecal a week later and she was fine, no parasites, she as just fasting.
    If your snake is losing weight and it will not eat more that one prey item this may be something to keep in mind.