Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,365

4 members and 3,361 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Back up thermo's... necessary??

I'm reading around about people having Johnson's backed up by another Johnson, or a R500, and I'm asking if it's totally necessary? I don't know what the purpose is of having a back up. Is it in case one breaks down and you need one temporarily? Thanks for the attention guys.

Tony

Thanks

Re: Back up thermo's... necessary??

Is insurance important to you...is so why?

This same logic can be applied to why you might want a back up thermostat. Flexwatt can easily hit 115+ degrees in a few mintues. High enough to burn and/or kill your snakes (or cook eggs in an incubator). If you have $1000s or $10,000s of morphs in a rack (or potentially in an incubator) is $75 worth some peace of mind?

Only you can answer this question.

A backup thermostat is typically set a couple degrees higher than the main one. If the main one fails then the backup kicks in to keep the temps in check till you can replace the defective one.

Now where the question comes in (like in insurance) is it common for thermostats (at least the name brand ones) to fail? No...but some will...are you willing to gamble if yours will fail?
    Sean

Thanks

well basically it's in case the main thermostat fails, and the heating pad heats up to higher temps then set. a back up thermostat is usually set 5 degrees higher then the other thermostat so it would cut the power to it, which would cut the power to the heating element. this would prevent the heating element from getting to how and hurting the animals.

as for is it necessary... just put it this way: you have a collection of snakes worth $3,000 (many collections and way higher then that). would you put all your faith in that thermostat? if it fails, you are SOL. by having a back up thermostat you protect your collection.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Oh wow, thanks for the replies. Very interesting too. It's safe to say though just having a normal BP would be okay on just one right? lol. Thanks again guys.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Buy the best equipment you can afford.

I had a Bigapple thermostat stick on and burn one of my girls. I now use the Herpstat DBS1000 on all three of my racks with no worrys of them failing and sticking in the "on" position.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

yea as long as you buy a quality thermostat from a reputable vendor, you will most likely not have a problem. there are people on this forum that have been keeping snakes 10's of years using helixes and they have not had a problem.

i am not one of them but give me 10's of years and i'll get back to ya....
    -Kevin

Thanks

I use rheostats on my BP tubs, and they are pretty foolproof; they do not allow more power than I set them at.
    Now, I plan on switching to my Helix thermostat once it is done being used for my incubator in a few months.. It is an awesome thermostat and worth every penny I spent on it. I do not feel that it needs a backup, but everyone is different and responsible for their own actions I guess. I had a power outage while running it, and it was "smart" enough to remember its setting before the outage, and that gives me confidence.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

We have our snakes in tanks (more visually appealing and my BP seems to like watching us and TV). I stick a ceramic tile over the ZooMed UTH (no FlexWatt yet). That reduces the temp by about 10 to 15 degrees by spreading it out. Then adding a layer of substrate (CareFresh Bedding) reduces the temp to about 90 degrees. I have a ZooMed thermostat running wide open (probe taped to ceramic tile under warm hide). It only kicks out if the temp in the room gets too warm (over 80 degrees). If he does dig into the substrate it's only about 100 degrees, not high enough to burn (I hope).

It's not perfect but having layers over the UTH reduces the possibility of thermal burns.

I learned this from a guy who's kept and rescued all kinds of herps for over 30 years. He never uses thermostats and adds layers of substrate (indoor/outdoor carpet, etc.) to regulate floor temps.
    1.1 Ball Pythons, 0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Suriname Boa, 0.0.1 Corn
    1.1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.0 Red Tegu, 1.2.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas, 1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon

Thanks

Wow.. That sounds so safe! ...:eek:

Snakes don't know if they are being burned enough, their nerve sensing capabilities are not very developed on their bellies. This is why heat rocks and unregulated heating pads are very dangerous. They can develop hot spots or the temps can spike if the room warms up too much. The snake won't be aware of this and can get burned or overheated very easily. This is why having a QUALITY thermostat is important.. It can save your snake's life. Crappy thermostats can stick in the ON position and FRY your snake or cause a fire. I used one of the ALife "things" for about 2-3 months before it started fluctuating wildly(wildly meaning 10-15 degree swings). It wasn't safe to use on my ONE normal Ball I had at that time, so why would I use something like that for my 25(+18 eggs) snakes that have cost me thousands of dollars, only to have it fail ONCE and possibly kill my entire collection or start a fire?

I have a Herpstat 2 on my largest rack controlling both sets of flexwatt. It will shut off if temps are too high for too long of a period, and will sound an alarm(that is VERY annoying...) if the temps fluctuate or the probes get moved. I also have a Helix DBS-1000 that will be used on my newest rack(along with a dimmer that is connected to the cool side flexwatt, and in turn is connected back to the Helix), and a Johnson Controls thermostat that will be used with my two baby racks. All of these thermostats will automatically sound an alarm and shut off if there is a problem. Some models will send you emails, some will call a pre-set phone number to alert you.

I am responsible for my snakes' wellbeing, and if I can't spend a measly $70-$140 on a decent thermostat that can possibly last the life of the snake(30-40 years), then I don't need to be owning these animals. Divide the cost of the thermostat out for the lifespan of the snake, and you'll see that the expense isn't much at all.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBalls
    We have our snakes in tanks (more visually appealing and my BP seems to like watching us and TV). I stick a ceramic tile over the ZooMed UTH (no FlexWatt yet). That reduces the temp by about 10 to 15 degrees by spreading it out. Then adding a layer of substrate (CareFresh Bedding) reduces the temp to about 90 degrees. I have a ZooMed thermostat running wide open (probe taped to ceramic tile under warm hide). It only kicks out if the temp in the room gets too warm (over 80 degrees). If he does dig into the substrate it's only about 100 degrees, not high enough to burn (I hope).

It's not perfect but having layers over the UTH reduces the possibility of thermal burns.

I learned this from a guy who's kept and rescued all kinds of herps for over 30 years. He never uses thermostats and adds layers of substrate (indoor/outdoor carpet, etc.) to regulate floor temps.

Ouch. If your snake burrows (as many do..) you'll end up with a crispy critter in no time.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast