Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

4 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: A mite ?

Thanks

A mite ?

I treated Star and her enclosure with PAM. I still see mites. I treated again, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to make her more comfortable? I still see mites under her scales and have pulled off the ones I could. I have soaked her a couple of times. Should I soak her more? This is my first battle with the little suckers and any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks,
    ~Weena
    3.1 Leopard Geckos ~ Ralph,Karl,Harshad and Lizzy
    RIP~ Whitey
    1 Albino Pacman Frog ~ Artimus
    2.0 Cornsnakes~ FS and Cinno-mon
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Thanks

Re: A mite ?

What do you mean you treated Starr? I hope you didn't put PAM directly on her? PAM is very strong and you MUST follow the directions exactly.

Also, can you give us a time line. You treated once...then waited how long before you treated again? How long has she had them?

There is no magic bullet here it takes time to get rid of them and over doing it just stresses the snake more and puts her at more risk from not only the mites but also the over use of PAM.
    Sean

Thanks

What do you mean you treated Starr? I hope you didn't put PAM directly on her?
    No I didn't treat Star directly, that was a typo. Sorry, It was very misleading.

I did read the directions exactly. I treated on 6-26, but after I read a few more posts on here I noticed that some of you were cleaning out the whole cage and laying news paper before spraying. I waited 10 days and resprayed after I removed all the aspen bedding, wiped out with vinegar and water solution, and laid down news paper. The directions say to treat every month. I thought I had better do it right this time if its going to work. What about Star? She looks so miserable rubbing herself all over. Anything I could do for her? Any way to get those mites to come out from under her scales?
    ~Weena
    RIP~ Whitey
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Thanks

Oh good you had me worried there for a minute.

It sounds like you have done everything right so far...the PAM should kill the mites under her scales within a couple of days.

I would give her 2 solid days from when you last sprayed just to make sure the mites are exposed to the PAM as much as possible...which will kill them.

After this time you can give her a bath. Warm water (not hot) about as deep as half her thickest part...so it only comes up half way on her body. Also, add 2 - 3 drops of Ivory (or another) mild soap to the water. This breaks the surface tension and causes the mites to drown. Let her soak for 30 mins - 1 hr...but you need to check the water every 15 mins to make sure it doesn't get too cool.

Is she in a tub or a tank? You said you put her on newspaper (good) what else in left in the cage?
    Sean

Thanks

Is she in a tub or a tank? You said you put her on newspaper (good) what else in left in the cage?
    She is in a tank with just a clean, fresh water bowl and I made her two new hides, just like her other ones. I will try the mild saop soak. How often should soak her? Thanks!
    ~Weena
    RIP~ Whitey
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geckochick
    I will try the mild saop soak. How often should soak her? Thanks!
    You don't want to over stress her so maybe once every couple of weeks...but you should see a marked improvement (ie dead mites everywhere) very quicky.

Also, if she was really infested and since she was in a tank (I assume with a screen lid) I would recommend you clean and treat the surrounding area (desk, immediate floor, etc.) as mites can travel...just to be safe.

Keep me posted on her progress.
    Sean