Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

2 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

How to pick up bp from enclosure?

I have only taken out my ball python twice from its enclosure since I got him 14 days ago, and both times I was extremely nervous, lol. I know they are very docile creatures, (plus it was captive breed and born), but I guess it's their natural way that makes them look like they're going to strike.

It's only a few months old, and I've read an adult bite is only equivalent to a cat, so I'm not too worried...but what is the best way to pick it up? I've seen people "scoop" them up when they are curled a little, I'm a little afraid for that lol, the two times I would put my hand to it's side to let it know I'm here, and then went for the tail and my other hand a little upwards. Also, does the time of day matter? Is it ok to take it out during the day and night? Any suggestions? thx

Thanks

Re: How to pick up bp from enclosure?

I approach slowly but firmly, coming in from the shallowest angle I can (overhead approach is what a predator would do). I also try to lightly touch or brush the body once ahead of time to check the reaction and make sure the snake knows its about to get picked up.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Has he already eaten a few times? If not, I would lay off of the handling until you have 3-4 consecutive feedings in him. He will settle in alot faster and just be more comfortable in general.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beachvibesbyeff
    It's only a few months old, and I've read an adult bite is only equivalent to a cat, so I'm not too worried...but what is the best way to pick it up? I've seen people "scoop" them up when they are curled a little, I'm a little afraid for that lol, the two times I would put my hand to it's side to let it know I'm here, and then went for the tail and my other hand a little upwards. Also, does the time of day matter? Is it ok to take it out during the day and night? Any suggestions? thx

I'd suggest you get some of these right away.

J/K

Seriously, there's not a lot to be worried about. Move slow and don't approach from the head and you'll be okay. If it does bite, you will probably be more shocked by the speed than the actual bite. Even the largest ones aren't as bad as a cat bite unless it's a feeding strike, then it might be like that of a cat. But feeding strikes are usually due to careless mistakes. Quite often when they bite it's only a head bump and they don't even open their mouth.

As far as time of day, the daytime is usually better as their still asleep and not looking for a meal like they would be at night.

-Lawrence

Thanks

read my thread in the gen chat, there is alot of useful info on how people go to pick up there BPs
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think about it - just scoop them right on up. If they look like they are in a defensive S pose, I normally lightly touch the top of their head with a water bottle and they tuck their head under their coils and I pick them up.

I would describe an adult defensive bite to hurt no worse than getting pricked by a cactus (stole that from the Barker's book - but it's darn accurate!)

Thanks

We try to establish routines with the snakes....certain routines mean it's feeding night...certain routines mean "just ignore me I'm in here to clean up your poop"....other routines indicate to them they are about to come out for some handling. Very basic routines, done over and over and over again seem to be understood by the snakes over time.

Our handling routine is pretty much this....we open the tub or tank, remove the hide if the snake is in there, gently stroke down their lower body to let them know it's time to come out (also helpful to let them wake up and to "feel" if they are tense and agitated by the tone of their muscles). Most of the mature snakes pretty much get the drift right away and either exit their enclosure on their own or slither up our arms. The younger or baby ones we scoop up gently and keep them close to our bodies so they feel warm and not so exposed.

Then we just sit with them quietly as they explore us and the room we're in. It's generally a really relaxing experience all around.

Of course all snakes are individuals. Examples being Malachi who feels the need to "grumble" about being disturbed, Dori who MUST hiss at you or she has no self respect LOL, Buddy who feels life isn't complete until he at least tries to bite the hand that feeds him and wee tiny Fianna who loves to nip my husband. Snakes are just too cool!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    I'd suggest you get some of these right away.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

I agree with Rabernet.

I just go right in and pick him up. I think this doesnt give him the time to decide on whether or not to strike me.

I had him 7 years and never had 1 strike.

Thanks

ye snakes are amazing aint they.
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast