Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

3 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A few questions from a new owner

Hi all, I just bought a BP today and would like some input from an established online BP community.

My little guy came from Petco - now before you all blast me for buying there, first of all I work there, secondly I wouldn't buy a reptile from the Petco that I work at, because I don't like how my coworkers tend to ignore the "reptile" (herp & invert) section. I bought from a different Petco where I know specifically that they take good care of their herps - a few herp and fish enthusiasts work there that look after them. One of the employees told me that it had been a week since the bp's had been fed and that they were going to feed them again that day when I bought the snake. Incidentally, I bought a beardie from them awhile back and he turned out to be quite healthy and energetic, and I fell completely in love with him, and he turned out to be a longtime companion for me.

I picked this one out not because of his looks, but because he (or she) was extremely friendly and inquisitive, and immediately wrapped himself around my wrist, stretching his neck out at me and flicking his tongue curiously. I know some BP's can be shy at first but this one is definitely not

Right now I have a very basic setup in a 20 long; it's temporary so I can figure out what is the best substrate and decorations. The substrate is Repti-bark (~1cm chunks of bark), there is a water bowl treated with repti-safe conditioner, a half-log for hiding, and a small fake leafy plant near the log. There is a small under-tank heat pad on one side (to keep up temp at night) and a basking light on the other side. I have not yet set up a timer - what is the best photoperiod for these animals?

He (I say that hypothetically) is, I'd estimate, around 20-22 inches head to tail. Is s/he old enough to tell gender, and how would I check?

Also, when should I attempt to feed him? I will be using frozen fuzzies, which is what the store used to feed the pythons. Thawed first of course I think that I should give him a few days to get used to his new environment before I feed him. Is that smart? Also, what time of day do you normally have the best success in offering food?

Any input greatly appreciated!

Here's a pic, hope this works: (From the looks of it he has just completed a shed, since he has tiny patches of white skin as you can see in the picture. If you can interpret that differently let me know)
    Last edited by icygirl; 07-02-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks

Re: A few questions from a new owner

Your 20g long is 30'' so you should be able to approximate his length going off of that. As for photoperiod...I would say 12/12 or 14 day/10 night is good. That keeps it thinking that it is summertime. Definately wait a few days to a week to feed him so that he can settle in. It can be probed by someone experienced, such as a herp-vet, in order to have its gender determined. I hope I covered everything.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

Thanks so much for response! I was going to wait until he defecated to go to the vet and bring a fecal sample.

What do you think about that little white patch near his eye? Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks

what kind of log is that? Cedar and pine are toxic to them.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

congrats on your new baby! (beautiful by the way!) it's good to know there is a petco you can trust! lol... not to knock it but when you can't buy a herp from your own store... anyways... you should get a second hide in there- identical to the first. other than that, everything else i have the ability to answer has already been answered! lol! oh well!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl
    Thanks so much for response! I was going to wait until he defecated to go to the vet and bring a fecal sample.

What do you think about that little white patch near his eye? Should I be concerned with this?
    do a search for "retained shed" and you should find a number of discussions on it. I believe there is a sticky thread too. There is very little there so I'm thinking its not a huge deal. It may just come off in a day or two but I've never personally had to deal with retained shed so somebody else prolly knows better.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl

no. if it bothers you, you can soak him. but most likely it will come off with his next shed. as long as it's not directly on the eye it's not going to bother him.
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Hey, thanks everyone for your support. I think Petcos vary depending on the managers and associates that work there. I do my very best to take care of herps and inverts, but I'm only one person, and I don't do the 'reptiles' every day. I think a lot of it depends on how managers train their associates to take care of the animals. I was trained pretty poorly with herps, but luckily I know better.

The log is a Habba Hut from Zoo Med. They claim it's safe for herps, but who knows. I have been scouring Google but cannot figure out what kind of wood it is. Should I remove it, or do any of you know if this is a safe product?

My little one has been exploring his tank ever since I turned off the light. I am falling for him already Is it ok to handle them at night, and how much handling is too much?

Thanks

I would be inclined to think its safe but I can't be sure. It does not look like cedar to me. Cedars grow naturally where I live and it is a sort of light, reddish wood that isn't really sappy. So, if it doesn't smell "piney" then you're prolly OK.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

The Habba Huts aren't dangerous to your snake, but the design isn't the best for Balls. Ball Pythons like very small, confined spaces that they can feel touch their sides. This isn't possible with the Habba Hut that has two opened sides. A better solution would be to use an overturned planter drip tray with a hole cut in the side or on top. Even a regular plastic bowl with a hole cut in the side would work fine.

-Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast