Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

2 members and 3,286 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wrinkled skin?

Thanks

Re: wrinkled skin?

Quote Originally Posted by vr-mark
    so if hes dehydrated how do you get him to drink?
    I'm new to this also, but from what I've read on my own they rarely drink out of the water bowl...making sure there is water in there will raise the humidity, some one else said misting ? that was the first time I heard about that. I've seen others give their BP's a very bath with the water only coming up to the middle of their body. Hope that helps somewhat...these sites a big help...look around a bit and your sure to find anything your looking for.

Thanks

I don't know how reliable this info is but I was told that they tend to be a little more loose-skinned looking when they are very young.

I've never had any trouble with my BP drinking. He went straight to his water dish on his first day home and took a nice long draw. But, I do notice that when he's not super thirsty he's alot more discriminating about when he goes to his dish. I'll often leave the room for a few minutes and come back to see him fully out which his head right over the bowl and a "damn I'm busted!" look on his face. So, you might just make sure the trip to the dish from the hide isn't too far to make sure shyness isn't discouraging drinking.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LightWorker
    I'm new to this also, but from what I've read on my own they rarely drink out of the water bowl...
    Not true at all. BPs won't hesitate to drink from a water bowl.

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LightWorker
    I'm new to this also, but from what I've read on my own they rarely drink out of the water bowl...making sure there is water in there will raise the humidity, some one else said misting ? that was the first time I heard about that. I've seen others give their BP's a very bath with the water only coming up to the middle of their body. Hope that helps somewhat...these sites a big help...look around a bit and your sure to find anything your looking for.
    Mine drinks out of his dish alot. (so keep that water fresh!) I would say he drinks at least once a day and several times a day after feeding. He also really likes to drink the droplets off the glass right after I mist so I also make sure and mist the sides well for him.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Cool, didn't know that. How do you guys/girls mist? About how much and how often? Do you only do it when you know they are going to shed or is it a once or twice a week thing? Also I have my guy on Aspen shavings, its okay to mist the whole tank right? The aspen will also hold in some of the moisture, correct? I too am working on raising the humidity, I'm only at 45% as of right now.

Thanks

I use a sprayer I got from the cosmetics area in walgreens. Anyway, its just your basic adjustable sprayer that can be dialed from stream to mist.

Once the humidity drops, I mist the whole cage as evenly as possible and pretty heavily (but not to really soak anything). That bumps the humidity way up at first but once the surface moisture dries it kind of levels out. Now that I've got everything tweaked I can usually go 2-3 days before my humidity is back out of spec. I try to keep it between 50 and 60%.

Also, I try to avoid misting my snake (usually I take him out first) but I don't know if this matters much.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

Oh yea, I use distilled water for both the water dish and the misting. I'm not sure if its needed for the drinking water but if you don't use distilled for misting you'll be experiencing some hellacious spotting on the glass.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"

Thanks

You know, sphagnum moss works really really well for making a humid hide for shedding. I would totally do that. It holds moisture well, and makes a nice little cubby for your snake. Esp since it looks like he's gonna have a hard shed.

As for misting, you will notice a sharp increase on the hygrometer after you've just sprayed, but that will come down. So expect 80', but it should drop back to around 60- 65. btw, what's your tank set up? maybe i missed it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl
    You know, sphagnum moss works really really well for making a humid hide for shedding. I would totally do that. It holds moisture well, and makes a nice little cubby for your snake. Esp since it looks like he's gonna have a hard shed.

I also use a humid hide.

I don't like to mist (I know it works.) just because it makes the newsprint wet and seems to just get messy.

jmo.

Thanks

Talking Re: wrinkled skin?

lol nope wasnt dehydration ..infact she was shedding and yea she had a bad shed ..came off in 3 pieces; oh well it seems like everyone's first shed isnt a good one..better luck next time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast