Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

2 members and 3,346 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: RTB Costs?

Thanks

RTB Costs?

I've owned ball pythons for a while, but have gotten bitten by the snake bug. I eye the large snakes feverishly when I go to the local snake breeder. Just some overall questions.

1: what size tank will I need for the next 3 years? I'm a college student and dont have much space for a massive aquarium.

2: How much does food cost between years 1-3 and 3+? I read about feeding large rats and rabbits. How often do 3,4 year old RTBs eat and how much does it cost per feed?

3: How overall difficult are RTBs to keep as pets? I've done everything from Hamsters to Ferrets to a temporary Rattlesnake pet. How difficult is it to keep a RTB as a pet? There are 2/3 week chunks where I have 0 free time (Finals, etc). I can check temps and humidities and feed but thats it

Thanks guys.

Thanks

Re: RTB Costs?

As far as the tank,why don't you use tubs. Especially being a student, they're inexpensive and easier to maintain. I have my baby RTB in a 31 qt right now, I think you can find an adult size tub at reptilebasics.com

Thanks

Re: RTB Costs?

I'm going to make a hateful recommendation, but one I feel is the best.

Having been a college student with multiple critters, as well (there was a point that I had six snakes and as many geckos---plus I was working two part times jobs and working full time), I would recommend holding off until you graduate and are more financially sound.

There were times when I felt I was working only to feed my animals (and yes, I had two RTBs). I had to keep some income back every week---you never know when something disastrous will happen and you'll have to take the animals to the vet (if one animal gets it, it's possible the others will).

I don't doubt that you care for the animals you have... but if you're running short on time already, perhaps you need to take a step back and reevaluate the decision to get another. I understand what a full course load is like... I also remember (very well) how I could have money one week and none the next three. You have to think about the happiness of the animals as well as yourself.

It would be a shame to get the critter just to have to give him up in a few months.
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 07-13-2007 at 03:23 PM.