Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

2 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rat Cages?

Thanks

Rat Cages?

Okay so i'm looking for a bigger better rat cage than what i got. Its nice because its all metal and stuff but its just not big enough for two full grown rats. My 2 rats now are kinda snug actually and they aren't even adults. anyways i'm tryign to find a cool cage thats semi affordable and this is what i found,

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2007+113918

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2007+113918

would one of these work well or will my rats just chew the plastic bottoms up?
    Cassandra

0.1 Normal Ball Hydra
    1.2 Cats Princess Kiddy, Master Kiddy and Snickers
    0.1 Dog Raven
    1.1 Budgie Parakeets
    2.0 Ratties

Thanks

Re: Rat Cages?

I kept pet rats in similar cages with plastic bottoms for years and never had any issue with chewing out. Finally after a long while one did start to nibble but she was a notorious chewer. If they have enough other things to do, stuff to chew on, and things to mess about with, as well as not being overcrowded, most won't bother to chew on their enclosure bottom (at least in my experience). Those look like lovely multi-level cages for a couple of pet rats.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Those look fine, but I'll tell you what I did for my girls, who are now in rat Mecca.

First cage was a creation of my own; a combo of a 'My First Home' guinea pig cage and a two story tall wire cage. It was a good size, but he** to clean. So, when I got my tax return, I went to Petsmart and purchased the 'Midwest Ferret Nation Double Unit Home'. My girls couldn't be happier, it's really easy to clean, and it looks really cool. To solve the problem of the bars being spaced for ferrets, I just covered the outside with 1/4" wire mesh from Lowes...works like a charm. I have pics, but I can't upload them into a post...oh well, just trust me on this.

Also, yes it costs around $200, but the investment is well worth it if you intend to have pet rodents for a long time. Myself, I will always have a pair of rat ladies until the day I can afford my dream small animal: a chinchilla.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I have a couple of the bigger versions of the My First Home....the ones for rabbits. They work really well, and the girls and boys had lots of room but I have one cage now that only has one clip instead of two, b/c someone chewed thru the other. It's not usu. a problem with the way I clean and vacuum, but when I had to try and find Kishnah and found he was underneath, I forgot and picked the cage up by the bars, not the base. That was stopped PDQ!

They've chewed up the plastic bowl a bit, but I had added hammocks, extra toys and roll tubes to play with and that helps.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I have 3 rats in a first home rabbit kit cage and it works fine. Was like 39$ and it's plenty of room

Thanks

Thanks guys for the responses! I ordered the one with the blue bottom. It was more affordable for me. Ill just have to keep them extra happy so they dont start chewing the bottom
    Cassandra

0.1 Normal Ball Hydra
    1.2 Cats Princess Kiddy, Master Kiddy and Snickers
    0.1 Dog Raven
    1.1 Budgie Parakeets
    2.0 Ratties

Thanks

--Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Ah, now I know how to post pics! Here is my rat cage:

And yes, those are my girls in the top left corner. Tho you can barely see them cause of the reflection.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Becky don't you have problems with bumblefoot since it looks like there aren't any solid shelves? They appear to be all mesh. Isn't that a problem??? Or do you put carpeting sheets/ hammocks in there?

Just curious. I'd like to get some Martins but that's a concern of mine.

Thanks!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Bumblefoot is caused by abrasive surfaces(rusty wire), surfaces that are constantly wet and dirty(bacterial infection), etc. This can cause the feet to break down and fungal and bacterial infections can occur. The cage is good, especially with boys, because they are constantly peeing everywhere, and the wire doesn't allow the wee to puddle, where they have to stand in it. Those cages are good because they also have a pan on the bottom where you can put bedding. I always put a litterbox on one of the top floors anyway, so they have somewhere to marinate Icky boys.

The super pet cages are the ones you really have to watch because the pee can puddle in the shelving, and the rats are having to sit in it. The majority of my rats are in wire cages and I have never had a case of bumblefoot.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast