Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

1 members and 3,373 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

just came back from the vet

I visited DR mark peckham(sp) who is a supposedly known herp vet and comes recommended by every reptile shop in town.

looks like hank does not have an RI afterall. He did discover mites though, which I already knew about. I expressed to him that he had not been spending any time in his hides, and he recommended that I take away some furniture, he also said I should only have one hide on the hot side for now.... I took out his tall rock that he climbs around on. but dont know that I want to take any of his hides away. he also told me the humidity should be of no concern to this snake, and that if he needs humidity during shed he'll find the water bowl.

I told him i was using provent a mite and he started talking about how the direction of use for that thing are very wrong, because if I use it in the form it was intended (which is apparently not an aerosol but a diluted spray) mites should be gone in less than 4 weeks. He left me the option to continue using the provent a mite though and I shall continue and see what happens.

The guy clearly knows his stuff, alot of people i know go to him but the comments about humidity kind of threw me off. I told him i had choro-plast covering the top of my tank to maintain a certain level of humidity and he said to take them off...

thoughts?

Thanks

Re: just came back from the vet

I visited Dr. Peckham many times last year when I had some very ill baby balls. For the most part, I was very pleased with his amount of knowlege and care of my ball pythons. He did occasionally say some things that I was unsure about, but they were all pretty insignificant, personal preference-type issues. It did sometimes seem to me that he might not know what conditions are optimal for ball pythons specifically.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture
    I visited Dr. Peckham many times last year when I had some very ill baby balls. For the most part, I was very pleased with his amount of knowlege and care of my ball pythons. He did occasionally say some things that I was unsure about, but they were all pretty insignificant, personal preference-type issues. It did sometimes seem to me that he might not know what conditions are optimal for ball pythons specifically.
    He has worked for the Houston zoo, and he knows his stuff. I have no doubt in his capability as a vet, but I do agree when it comes to little things like living conditions some of what he said was kinda "meh" if you will. That humidity thing is the only thing that didn't sit well with me. Other than that I couldn't really question anything else that he said or did. The examination seemed extremely routine for him, and the snake never got pissy about it.

Only thing that sucks is I had this whole hank and dean venture thing going for the snakes names, (I know I'm a child) as I'm in the process of getting another male and it may turn out that hank might be a girl

Thanks

pissy snakes, never a good thing... duno he sounds like a good vet.... *wishes more vets and bp peeps would move out here, neeed a breeder and cheaper BP tank gear shop *
    1 norm BP - monty - Male.

g0 BpS