Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

2 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

So mad at myself!! stupid computer

I have a virus that got thru on my home computer this afternoon. I have over 500 photos on file, over 100 that I don't have saved to disk or hard copy. The only way I know how to get rid of the problem is to do a total recovery. I can still access the photos, but don't know if saving them to disk will also save the virus to reintroduce it. Anyone with any suggestions on saving photos? I can't afford to print even half of them! I'm doing all other work in my office now!

Thanks

Re: So mad at myself!! stupid computer

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    I have a virus that got thru on my home computer this afternoon. I have over 500 photos on file, over 100 that I don't have saved to disk or hard copy. The only way I know how to get rid of the problem is to do a total recovery. I can still access the photos, but don't know if saving them to disk will also save the virus to reintroduce it. Anyone with any suggestions on saving photos? I can't afford to print even half of them! I'm doing all other work in my office now!
    Yes...burn all the photo files to CD (as individual files). Then once you recover the PC you can run an antivirus scan on the CD to identify which (if any) have the virus.

Also, when you do recover make sure you shut off the autorun for the CD so that it doesn't try and read the disk before you are ready or it might just re-infect the computer.

Good Luck.
    Sean

Thanks

I'm just wondering why you can't clean the virus?

Thanks

500 photos? That's nothing. I have over 4000

Good luck fixing it.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    I'm just wondering why you can't clean the virus?
    I agree many virus's can be "cleaned" and if you don't have a anti-virus there are plenty of free ones out there that work great. AVG, Avast, etc. While it doesn't hurt to do a clean OS install every once and while it doesn't have to be the way to get rid of some viruses. If you already have AV protection but it is not up to date because it costs money than remove/uninstall it before adding a new free one. Multiple AV programs running will decrease the system's performance. Do a google search on the virus name and you should be able to find info on how to clean it.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Yes...burn all the photo files to CD (as individual files). Then once you recover the PC you can run an antivirus scan on the CD to identify which (if any) have the virus.

Also, when you do recover make sure you shut off the autorun for the CD so that it doesn't try and read the disk before you are ready or it might just re-infect the computer.

Good Luck.
    Thanks,
    I saved everything that I needed and will do a complete recovery when I get home tonight. Actually printed out all my favorite photos which was about 50 of them. Any tips help, I'm not to good with computers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    I agree many virus's can be "cleaned" and if you don't have a anti-virus there are plenty of free ones out there that work great. AVG, Avast, etc. While it doesn't hurt to do a clean OS install every once and while it doesn't have to be the way to get rid of some viruses. If you already have AV protection but it is not up to date because it costs money than remove/uninstall it before adding a new free one. Multiple AV programs running will decrease the system's performance. Do a google search on the virus name and you should be able to find info on how to clean it.
    I didn't know about cleaning a "virus". But since I already dumped and saved everything I figure a total recovery will be even more effective. I'll eventually learn more as I go along I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    I didn't know about cleaning a "virus". But since I already dumped and saved everything I figure a total recovery will be even more effective. I'll eventually learn more as I go along I guess.
    That's not necessarily true. Some viruses reside in the boot sector, and all the rebuilds in the world won't get rid of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    That's not necessarily true. Some viruses reside in the boot sector, and all the rebuilds in the world won't get rid of them.
    Good Point...

Do you remember the name of the virus that you have? We could look it up and see what type of damage it does which might help offer some other ideas in how to fix it.
    Sean

Thanks

Ohh no.. I can relate to that. We had a virus not too long ago.. I lost a lot of photos. But luckily, many were on my Photobucket account, so I just re-saved the ones that I wanted.. heck, it helped "clean house" and get rid of many I didn't need.. but now I make backup photo disks periodically so if this thing does get infected, I can at least salvage something.
    I am glad that you were able to save the pics.. I know that some are priceless..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast