Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

1 members and 3,123 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

new owner of a bp

I have been looking at BP's for a while now and i think i am ready to own one. My question is petco a good place to by BP's they have them for sale at 79.99. Also i would like to know about selecting a healthy BP. What are the characteristics to look for in a healthy BP. And i have never owned a snake but i have a leopard gecko and bearded dragon. Thanks for advice in advance.

Thanks

Re: new owner of a bp

Please don't go to Petco! Most of their babies are stock from the bottom of the barrel... plus they don't care for them very well. By keeping them all housed together, they expose them to all kinds of bad things: stress, disease, bugs, you name it. Plus, BPs are known to be problem feeders if they're stressed (as surely they would be after being stuck in a cage with six of their sibs). So, the baby you get from Petco probably won't eat well... if at all. (I imagine the reason they're on sale is because the store has too many and is trying to get rid of them---not a good sign, either).

Another very good reason: you can have a perfect, healthy little baby BP shipped to you from a breeder for less than you can buy one at Petco (they totally rip you off!). Check out some of the breeders of here... PM them and see if they have any normal males for sale. Or, check out a local reptile show (though be picky here too!). You'll be happy you did when your little guy shows up fat and happy and eats the very first week!

Thanks

well i havent bought a BP yet but i was looking at them. I already had a bad experience with petco with a bearded dragon. But yea i dont want to spend more than 80 for one. All the breeders i have seen on then net so fay have been very expensive. Do you personnaly have any links or people names to contact about BP breeders?

Thanks

Check with Adam---8ballpythons---on here. Shoot him a PM and see if he's got any normal males up for sale.

A lot of breeders just post their morphs... you have to actually ask them about their normal guys.

Thanks

Ok becuase when i go to alot of breeders websites all i see is there morphs and they are like a thousand dollars.

Thanks

Normal male ball pythons occur as a matter of course when breeding snakes and in the greater scheme of breeding, they aren't really needed so they tend to be inexpensive to buy. They, however, make lovely pet snakes and if you buy a normal male from a breeder rather than a pet store you'll have a much better experience. Most of those pet store babies are recent captive hatched imports which basically means to you that you have no assurance they've ever taken a meal, no hatch date, no assurance of gender, no guarantee they aren't riddled with internal and external parasites....basically it's a crap shoot with them.

For your first ball python that's just not a great experience for you. There's nothing really wrong with captive hatched if they've been set up properly though. I have a few captive hatched snakes in our collection but they were from Will Bird originally and he does a nice job with them prior to selling them.

You can likely pick up a nice, well started normal male ball python and even with shipping it will be about the same as those pet store prices and you'll avoid the worry and potential feeding problems, vet bills, etc. that can come with these pet store ones.

Just had a peek, for instance, at Bailey Reptiles. http://www.baileyreptiles.com/07available.html

Tim's a member here and he's got some lovely 07 normal males for sale (as well as some possible het males too). Adam at 8Ball is www.8ballpythons.com another wonderful breeder who I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to you for your first snake. Adam's also a well respected and long time member here.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

anybody familiar with these guys http://lllreptile.com/? they have baby ball pythons for 19.00. it seems like that is almost to low. And does anybody know about the bailey breeder either? I just want to know if they are good or not.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idontknowaname
    anybody familiar with these guys http://lllreptile.com/? they have baby ball pythons for 19.00. it seems like that is almost to low. And does anybody know about the bailey breeder either? I just want to know if they are good or not.

If by Bailey you meen Tim and Monica Bailey of Http://www.Baileyreptiles.com. Tim Or Muddoc on here. Is one of the best guys around.. I can't say enough good things about him. A+
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by idontknowaname
    The babies aren't very expensive, just make sure you taken into account the cost of shipping when you price one.

Thanks

i was talking about the tim and monica there bp's seemed good and fairly priced. one more thing is it better buy a baby or an older snake or does it not matter at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast