Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,640

1 members and 1,639 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum

Thread: Dead rat

Thanks

Dead rat

I bought a male rat from petsmart about a week ago and went I went to check on the cage it was dead. It was housed with 2 female rats and they are fine, I had them for a couple of weeks before I got the male.

Didn't notice anything funny about it, it was eating/drinking. Any ideas what happened?

Thanks

Re: Dead rat

2 possibilities

First most "pet store" rats are so imbred that they have really poor immune systems, are kept in mass tanks so the ammonia builds up (which is bad) and usually are fed a poor diet of whatever is available cheap. We also see a lot that have bugs (lice mainily, but mites and others too)... All of this leads to just being too much for the rat and they die. The reason is typically not know exactly but is some combination of the above.

Second, could be a territorial issue. Sometimes bonded females will gang up on new males...not common but if the male is sick (something they sensed that you didn't) they will kill him. Did you notice and scars, bite marks, etc. on him?

Unfortunately you will pry never know why...my suggestion is if you have a breeder near you try getting a male from them this way you know its background.

Also, just like snakes you should QT all new rats you never know what they are carrying and could pass on to your healthy rats.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    2 possibilities

First most "pet store" rats are so imbred that they have really poor immune systems, are kept in mass tanks so the ammonia builds up (which is bad) and usually are fed a poor diet of whatever is available cheap. We also see a lot that have bugs (lice mainily, but mites and others too)... All of this leads to just being too much for the rat and they die. The reason is typically not know exactly but is some combination of the above.

Second, could be a territorial issue. Sometimes bonded females will gang up on new males...not common but if the male is sick (something they sensed that you didn't) they will kill him. Did you notice and scars, bite marks, etc. on him?

Unfortunately you will pry never know why...my suggestion is if you have a breeder near you try getting a male from them this way you know its background.

Also, just like snakes you should QT all new rats you never know what they are carrying and could pass on to your healthy rats.

No bites or anything, I even saw the male mating with one of the females the other day so I think they were getting along just fine.

I wish I knew a place to get quality stuff, is there like a list of rat breeders or something? I only know of Petco and Petsmart that sell rats as pets around here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snikt228
    I wish I knew a place to get quality stuff, is there like a list of rat breeders or something? I only know of Petco and Petsmart that sell rats as pets around here
    Sounds like you just got an unhealthy rat...I have always had issues with rats from Petsmart and Petco around here. Their quality is just poor for all the reasons I said earlier.

Where do you live maybe someone on here can help you out?
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Sounds like you just got an unhealthy rat...I have always had issues with rats from Petsmart and Petco around here. Their quality is just poor for all the reasons I said earlier.

Where do you live maybe someone on here can help you out?
    Central Florida area (Deland/Daytona Beach)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snikt228
    Central Florida area (Deland/Daytona Beach)
    Well I am in Indiana so I can't help you...but I am sure someone else will read this thread and be able to help you out or point you to a good location to get one.

Good Luck
    Sean

Thanks

Wasn't he sneezing and open mouth breathing? No wonder he died.. They need immediate veterinary care. Rats have sensitive respiratory systems and they really need to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Being a prey animal, they don't show symptoms until they are on death's door.

Weren't your females too small too? They need to be 4-6 months old and over 250g if they are to be bred. Hopefully you have two 10-gallons you can separate each into as they are most likely pregnant if he was in with them for any length of time.

Also make sure they aren't showing any respiratory symptoms either, such as red staining around the eyes and nose, decreased appetite, poofed up look to their hair, trouble breathing, sides sinking in, etc. If they are, they need antibiotics.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Wasn't he sneezing and open mouth breathing? No wonder he died.. They need immediate veterinary care. Rats have sensitive respiratory systems and they really need to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. Being a prey animal, they don't show symptoms until they are on death's door.

Weren't your females too small too? They need to be 4-6 months old and over 250g if they are to be bred. Hopefully you have two 10-gallons you can separate each into as they are most likely pregnant if he was in with them for any length of time.

Also make sure they aren't showing any respiratory symptoms either, such as red staining around the eyes and nose, decreased appetite, poofed up look to their hair, trouble breathing, sides sinking in, etc. If they are, they need antibiotics.
    No this was a different rat than the other one I had problems with. This one showed no sign of respiratory problems, just the normal rat ocasional sneezing

Thanks

I'm in Orlando and raise my own rats. PM me if you need a new male.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

Thanks

I've had pet store purchased rats literally fall over dead right in front of my eyes. One minute they are wandering around doing their rat thing then keel right over....stroke I assume. It doesn't happen much anymore since we haven't purchased from a pet store in ages but back when I was buying all our original rats from the pet store I lost a few to sudden and mysterious deaths. I think there's just so much uncontrolled breeding and inbreeding in pet store stock that you just get this stuff happening (plus more cancers, bad temperments, etc.)
    ~~Joanna~~