Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,289

1 members and 2,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rat mites

Thanks

Re: Rat mites

Frontline actually gets into the hair follicles not just into the oil on the skin.

And Flagg, the vets in your area are twits If that makes you feel any better.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I just got off the phone with Pfizer customer support and they tell me that Revolution absolutely is a prescription product in the US, and she kept stressing how it is regulated by the FDA and prescription is required.

So Becky, you are lucky that you can get it so easily, as apparently it is not supposed to be sold that way.

I'm just glad there are overseas vendors that aren't controlled by the US government, and I hope I don't get screwed by customs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    I think a mistake that people use with PAM is spraying too much. A couple short bursts and you are done. The bedding (or whatever substrate if you are using it with reptiles) should never feel wet and should dry within seconds to minutes. Now I am not saying you made a mistake. Could have been a freak occurence although the extensive testing done by Pro Products should have assured that it wouldn't happen. As of this morning all the rats and even the pinks are still fine. I'll check them later today.
    I think you are absolutely right as I remember more about applying it and using to much.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    I think you are absolutely right as I remember more about applying it and using to much.
    I think this is a good lesson for any application of PAM. It is extremely effective in small amounts. A can of PAM should last a LONG time. A couple short bursts are all it takes. I treat every incoming animal that goes into quarantine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg
    Vets are a**holes. They don't care about the animals, all they care about is getting their money for the visit.
    <rant>
    That remark is completely out of line, spoken by somebody who has no idea of what a good vet is worth. It is against the law for a vet to sell Revolution to patient they haven't seen. This is true of all prescription medications. We had a sting last year where some folks from the veterinary medicine board went around to all the different clinics trying to buy heartworm prevention without a current client-patient relationship...several clinics got busted and had to pay big fines.

I really really dislike that attitude, and will be leaving you Reputation to reflect that. None of the vets I work for are rich...we just have flipping high operational costs that you, as a whiny client, have no idea of. Approximately 3% of our gross intake actually comes out as profit...the rest goes back into the business...better equipment, rennovations, etc. Don't like it? Feel free to walk on....we'll see you later, and for more money, when your animals are horribly ill from conditions that could have been treated easier and cheaper if they'd been seen by a vet sooner.
    </rant>

You may now return to arguing the merits of off-label use of various insecticides.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    <rant>
    That remark is completely out of line, spoken by somebody who has no idea of what a good vet is worth. It is against the law for a vet to sell Revolution to patient they haven't seen. This is true of all prescription medications. We had a sting last year where some folks from the veterinary medicine board went around to all the different clinics trying to buy heartworm prevention without a current client-patient relationship...several clinics got busted and had to pay big fines.

I really really dislike that attitude, and will be leaving you Reputation to reflect that. None of the vets I work for are rich...we just have flipping high operational costs that you, as a whiny client, have no idea of. Approximately 3% of our gross intake actually comes out as profit...the rest goes back into the business...better equipment, rennovations, etc. Don't like it? Feel free to walk on....we'll see you later, and for more money, when your animals are horribly ill from conditions that could have been treated easier and cheaper if they'd been seen by a vet sooner.
    </rant>

You may now return to arguing the merits of off-label use of various insecticides.
    I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are. YOU are obviously biased in this case.
    I've called dozens of vets, none of them will even SEE my rats, so how am I supposed to establish a "current client-patient relationship" when they can't even be bothered to see my pets?

In my experience, vets are money-hungry, cold and ruthless. Perhaps you have a different experience. Whatever. If you decide to take my comments personally, well that's your problem. They weren't directed at you. Are you a vet?

Thanks

Oh, and I agree with your comment that I "have no idea what a good vet is worth." I've never met a good vet, so I agree , I have no idea.
    Perhaps rural vets are better than those in larger cities and their suburbs.
    Perhaps there's just a larger concentration of questionable vets in the cities so it's harder to find the good ones.

Thanks

Oh gosh yes, come here to Waco and the majority of the vets will give you the shirt off their back. They are very nice and inviting here, very willing to help.

I have a friend in Austin, however, who had to take one of her rats to the emergency clinic one night because of pneumonia. These rats are her children and she treats them as such. These people at the vet office stuck the rat in a rubbermaid container, put the oxygen tube on and left her there... Didn't give her fluids, didn't keep her warm, didn't give antibiotics, and most importantly, they didn't OBSERVE their PATIENT. They were busy cooing over puppies... Ugh. My friend had to make the decision to euthanize her girl, Pnut, because these people didn't do a darned thing to care for her. Pnut easily could have survived if she had been in the care of a competent vet who actually cared. THEN these people have enough gumption to charge my friend $1200... for OXYGEN and for being there during emergency hours... And she still didn't get to take her little friend home...

Now my vet will go out of her way to help my rats, my friend's rats, my friend's snakes/cats/etc. She took my dwarf rat, who isn't any bigger than a large mouse, to DALLAS, for emergency surgery AND cared for her over the weekend... And hasn't even charged me for it!

Sometimes you just have to find the right vet. And if they move, you move with 'em, LOL.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Just got home and all rats, pinks to adults are fine. I sprayed the bedding 24 hours ago with PAM. I checked the one who was infested the worst and couldn't find any on him alive. I can't stress enough though, go easy on the PAM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    Just got home and all rats, pinks to adults are fine. I sprayed the bedding 24 hours ago with PAM. I checked the one who was infested the worst and couldn't find any on him alive. I can't stress enough though, go easy on the PAM.
    This is great to hear...how is the little boy doing getting any better?
    Sean

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast