Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How smart is my Bp?

I was handling Lucy yesterday and a question came to mind.
    Does my little Lucy recognize me? Do snakes know their owners versus a stranger? Does she feel safer with me than someone else?

I know snakes are smart in other aspects but this ones just rattling my brain.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Re: How smart is my Bp?

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ht=snake+loves

That post isn't on the same question, but going through it will give you some ideas on how smart people thing their snakes are.

Personaly I think that they can reconize you. The hunt by smell and heat, so I would think that they can smell the small differences in people. I have seen a couple posts where someone suggests putting a shirt or something that you have worn in the tank with a very skiddish or aggressive snake. That way they know your sent. Something I have noticed with my girl is that she is more calm when I am handling her than when someone else is. So, to me, yes I think they can reconize you, and probably feel safer with you b/c over time they learn that you won't hurt them. ^_^ Of course, this is all just my opinion.
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure they can recognize people, and be more calm with those people rather then others. Such as like when my Dad or brother handle my snake, he stays balled up and won't move. But as soon as they leave the room, he uncoils and starts to cruise around. And he never balls up with me.

It's pretty simple conditioning that lets them recognize certin people as not being dangerous. In the wild Big things = Danger so humans are big and = Danger. But after consistant handling they son't see you as such a huge threat anymore.

At least thats my take on it.

Thanks

i just finished reading the majority of that other thread. Very intresting inputs and lots of heated debate, my favorite type of reading.
    i guess they recognize to a certain extent, but to feel love or emotion, i suppose they are incapable, im slightly dissapointed.
    But then again, i can think whatever i want, right? I guess that means me and Lucy are the best of friends and shes fully aware of it!

Thanks

I would have to say that my snakes know me from other people. I also have an idea that animals, even reptiles can in a way sence (how do I put this..) good and bad in people? what I'm trying to say is this.. My carpet python was very agressive to his other owners. biteing, hissing, and striking out. They did handle him but didnt take the proper care of him. I was thinking it was lack of care that changed his mood. Care with me.. great temperment. I took him over to his old owners place to show them how he was doing and he was lashing out at them. hissing striking and finaly bit. I took him back in my hands and he calmed down. I dont really feel that his old owners are bad per-say but there lack of care must have really done some sort of damage to this poor little guy.

maybe I'm off my rocker for thinking this, but hey every one in this forum has something odd about them
    Jessica K

Thanks

whew - just went through this one.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=48658

This was originally about teaching but it got into the more general question. Its a heated subject. Personally I think they are smarter than alot of people give them credit for but certainly nowhere as near as smart as a cat or dog.
    1.0 Normal BP - "Snakey"
    1.0 Jungle carpet python - "Chewbacca" aka "Chewie"
    0.1 Olive python - "Cleopatra" aka "Cleo"
    0.0.1 Corn - "Husker"
    1.0 Veiled Chameleon - "Kermit"