Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

1 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Solomon Island Tree Boa

Quote Originally Posted by weirdbuglady
    I thought the mouse was a good size, but we have more that are small so I'll set them aside and try again in a few days. I always feed my snakes at night before I go to bed because I know most of them prefer to eat in the dark and in peace. I was really hoping it would be gone by the morning... but I won't give up.
    I am sure you will have success with it. Keep us posted!

Thanks

Well she killed another hopper, quite quickly. However, just as before, she's just dragging it around in the tank, and cant get past the head. The mouse might be a tad too big but it seems like if she put some more effort into it, she would be fine. I guess I'll find out in the morning if she finishes it off.

I wont be able to get live fuzzies until next week because my boss is on vacation... I'm betting that with her attack response the way it is, a fuzzy/almost hopper would be just perfect.

Thanks

Sigh. Once again, she could not finish off the hopper.

I'll try wiggling an f/t pinky for her when I feed the other snakes this week just for the heck of it. If she doesnt go for that I'll just wait until I can get something smaller thats alive.

Thanks

Sigh. Once again, she could not finish off the hopper.

I'll try wiggling an f/t pinky for her when I feed the other snakes this week just for the heck of it. If she doesnt go for that I'll just wait until I can get something smaller thats alive.
    I think you are making great progress! My carinata did the same thing before finally eating. You are almost there. I would wait about 1 week and try again...

Also, does your carinata have a hidebox? if not, he should...

Thanks

the first time i got my carinata to eat a mouse she was in a 16 cup sterilite with a hide box with bedding stuffed in it and paper towels on the ground. She wouldn't eat in a glass tank. So maybe try something like that. Because the first mouse she ate was a hopper (because of the movement), and it was about 5 times her girth, but she killed it and ate it just fine.

start asking for the smallest hoppers they have, or even fresh weaned mice so they're still small but can still stay alive without their mother to give her time to try and eat it. The harder part is getting them to recognize mice as food, so I agree with John, you are making progress.

Thanks

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!

So, it's feeding time and I took out a f/t pinky destined for one of my milk snakes, when I paused to dangle it above my boa's head, as usual, not expecting any reaction.

This time, she struck out and missed, and with my heart racing I wiggled it some more and she grabbed it! She thrashed around a bit, trying to "kill" it... and she finally ate the whole thing!

I am SO relieved, I had gotten so excited before when she killed the mice, and now, hopefully she'll keep attacking the f/t pinkies! I was going to try getting her some live fuzzies at work tomorrow but this is even better!

Thanks

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!

So, it's feeding time and I took out a f/t pinky destined for one of my milk snakes, when I paused to dangle it above my boa's head, as usual, not expecting any reaction.

This time, she struck out and missed, and with my heart racing I wiggled it some more and she grabbed it! She thrashed around a bit, trying to "kill" it... and she finally ate the whole thing!

I am SO relieved, I had gotten so excited before when she killed the mice, and now, hopefully she'll keep attacking the f/t pinkies! I was going to try getting her some live fuzzies at work tomorrow but this is even better!

GREAT!!! Now, remember that carinata have very slow metabolisms. I would not offer food again for another couple of weeks. i go 2-3 weeks between feedings with mine. Too much too soon could keep her from staying on the f/t. They do best when hungry.

Good job!

j

Thanks

Can you post some more pics of her?

Thanks

I'm excited to try again, hehe, but yeah I bet it will help if she's hungry and has more of an instant "strike at anything that moves" response. And hopefully now she realizes that mouse smelling things are food.

I'll take pictures the next time she eats

And I sent pictures to Jerry Conway, since I did lots of reading from his website on candoia, and he agreed it is a carinata. Wont get any longer but I hope to at least get her a bit fatter, she has gotten a bit wrinkly.

Thanks

I'm excited to try again, hehe, but yeah I bet it will help if she's hungry and has more of an instant "strike at anything that moves" response. And hopefully now she realizes that mouse smelling things are food.

I'll take pictures the next time she eats

And I sent pictures to Jerry Conway, since I did lots of reading from his website on candoia, and he agreed it is a carinata. Wont get any longer but I hope to at least get her a bit fatter, she has gotten a bit wrinkly.
    Was there any doubt she was a carinata?

Yeah, she is undernourished, but will fatten up on the mice! Good Luck!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast