Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

4 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Solomon Island Tree Boa

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    well I defer to your superior knowledge, but really? carinata? I admit the head threw me off, but it's HUGE, and I personally have never seen a carinata that has those proportions.

btw, you have a pm
    Hey Qik,

I don't have superior knowledge! Just happen to know this one little thing about the cloacal saddle (O'shea). It is a very large Carinata though-I feel certain of that, well, if I was certain of anything

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb
    Hey Qik,

I don't have superior knowledge! Just happen to know this one little thing about the cloacal saddle (O'shea). It is a very large Carinata though-I feel certain of that, well, if I was certain of anything
    Thanks, I most definitely did not know that. Good bit of info to have too. Since it is a carinata, my goodness it's uncharacteristically large at least from what I've seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    Thanks, I most definitely did not know that. Good bit of info to have too. Since it is a carinata, my goodness it's uncharacteristically large at least from what I've seen.
    Boy Howdy! Biggest one I have seen...

Thanks

Wow thanks for the insights everyone!

I guess I never realized *quite* how tough it can be to get the candoia figured out.

And yes I was told she was wild caught. I was also told she was eating pinkies... but she will take treefrogs once or twice a month. At the moment she is looking a bit wrinkly, though she did just eat. I don't really handle her any more so as to try to not stress her out too much. I know she doesnt look too healthy but she doesnt always like to cooperate

And yes that spot is definitely lighter, her tail was always my favorite part because her patterns have more contrast there, heh. Though I also really like how she changes colors. Sometimes her patterns really stand out.

Thanks

well candoia have slower metabolisms and therefore should eat less, so have you gotten her treated for internal parasites? not saying that's the problem, but that could be a factor. Honestly, she really is huge, before John came along I really thought she was just way too big. But I don't know how to help you, the one i posted was quite the problem, but I swapped her into a small rubbermaid to get her acclimated (and gave her big cage to a house snake) and I think the tightness helped. But then again I have another on a hunger strike, and another that won't shed... etc. Ah, candoia, just gotta love 'em for all their quirks.

Thanks

Well I did some searching online and found that indeed, the lighter saddle above the ventral area is a characteristic of the species, and she's got it.

She's been treated for parasites. Now that I work at a pet store I can ensure a more steady supply of treefrogs for her at a lower price and try to fatten her up a bit, but I'm glad to know that she doesnt need to be fed every week like my other snakes anyway due to her lower metabolism.

And if you all think she's so big, perhaps she's getting old? I have no idea how to estimate her age and I never asked when I got her, since I assumed she was a ground boa I knew those are supposed to get a decent size so I thought she was a young one.

Thanks

Seeing as she's skinny, I'd try and fatten her up a bit with feedings every week, sorry to say, haha. But once she's of good weight, a lot of people feed their adults every 3-4 weeks.

My female carinata is still on an every week pinky sched because once I am feeling strong enough to deal with such tiny troublesome babies, I'd like to breed her. Another reason is because she shows good body weight and is not obese on this schedule, plus is always ravenous when I go to feed her, so why change a good thing.

*oh, and I'd assume she's a pretty good age given her needing time to grow so big. But it's too bad there's no real way to tell how old she actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdbuglady
    Well I did some searching online and found that indeed, the lighter saddle above the ventral area is a characteristic of the species, and she's got it.

She's been treated for parasites. Now that I work at a pet store I can ensure a more steady supply of treefrogs for her at a lower price and try to fatten her up a bit, but I'm glad to know that she doesnt need to be fed every week like my other snakes anyway due to her lower metabolism.

And if you all think she's so big, perhaps she's getting old? I have no idea how to estimate her age and I never asked when I got her, since I assumed she was a ground boa I knew those are supposed to get a decent size so I thought she was a young one.

Thanks

You really should work hard at getting her to switch to pinkies. Carinata are very responsive to live hoppers...that is something you should try if you have not already. After a few live hoppers, try a F/T pinkie. Something about hoppers (not fuzzies) seems to stimulate their feeding response. Also check temps and humidity...

Let me know if you need any help with the above...

j

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try a hopper... live pinkies didnt do much for her, I guess they dont move enough. For the first 8 months I had her I tried every pinky trick in the book but she wouldnt go for it. I'll see what I can do this summer, during the school year my parents take care of her because I can't take my snakes with me to college.

Im pretty sure my temps are ok (80s during the day 60s-70s at night) but what should the humidity be? I've read they like a medium level of humidity. The top of the tank is 3/4 covered (made it myself out of wood and wire mesh), she has a full water dish and I spray once in a while or simply overflow her dish (cocofiber as the substrate). She loves to soak, especially in the evenings.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try a hopper... live pinkies didnt do much for her, I guess they dont move enough. For the first 8 months I had her I tried every pinky trick in the book but she wouldnt go for it. I'll see what I can do this summer, during the school year my parents take care of her because I can't take my snakes with me to college.

Im pretty sure my temps are ok (80s during the day 60s-70s at night) but what should the humidity be? I've read they like a medium level of humidity. The top of the tank is 3/4 covered (made it myself out of wood and wire mesh), she has a full water dish and I spray once in a while or simply overflow her dish (cocofiber as the substrate). She loves to soak, especially in the evenings.
    Hey humidity should be around 50-60% normally, with misting a few times a week to boost it. Big water dish too. Also look into Reptibark. Mine thrive with that substrate.

You say your parents take care of her while you are at college? Are they qualified? I don't mean any offense at all, but Candoia are far from easy to keep [properly]-ESPECIALLY Carinata. Is she getting the kind of care she needs?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast