Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,476

2 members and 3,474 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Solomon Island Tree Boa

First of all let me start by saying Regal Reptiles SUCKS. I went to a show in White Plains NY looking for a solomon island GROUND boa... which they sold me my snake as... as you can see, she's definitely a tree boa. Small and skinny and loves to wrap around things and be up high. She's cool and all, but not what I was looking for at all

She will ONLY eat treefrogs. Heck, they told me she was eating pinkies, I tried eeeeverything for 8 months, including lizards... thought she was just going to starve herself to death till I threw in a spring peeper.

Anywho. Here are some pictures. Anyone else have this species? Anyone have any luck getting theirs onto pinkies?

Thanks

Re: Solomon Island Tree Boa

I own quite a few candoia. Regal doesn't really know the difference between the subspecies, and they'll absolutely admit that, next time you go for an uncommon species make sure you know what you're looking for. Not trying to reprimand or be on their side, but Candoia are quite difficult to distinguish especially when young. That said, I had a ground that looked quite like an australis for quite some time, when they're young they're all very similar. Your's seems big, so I'm guessing it really is a paulsoni, just young and not in the best shape. Once it's eating on a normal schedule and plumps up to normal size you'll be able to tell more. All Candoia except aspera are rather arboreal and can be found in low levels of bushes, so I wouldn't make that the deciding factor. But despite the skinniness and fact that I can't quite tell from the pics, the tree boas usually have thinner necks... but then again they're all so closely related... but for now I'm gonna say it's still possible you just have a very ragged, skinny paulsoni, but don't quote me on that.
    Anyway, how long? and yeah i've got mine on pinkies, except my male australis is on a hunger strike at the moment because he thinks he should be allowed to breed, but i have not found a mature female australis yet.

Thanks

That sucks man. Youve already had it 8 months? I guess it might be a little late to take it up with them then. I would be pretty mad too. I have never previously heard of this species before, but I did find something in a care sheet in a yahoo search saying that (the ground species) should have a tall enclosure with branches for climbing. So is he always perched up in his branches or does he go onto the floor and use his hides? I really dont have any experience with switching prey types so i cant help you there.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy
    1.0.0 Colombian Boa possibly double het for albino stripe - no name yet

Thanks

At this point I've had her for over two years. So yeah at first I was thinking perhaps she was just young and skinny. But by now... I dunno. It's tough to feed her as often as I should because of the availability of treefrogs in pet stores, and then sometimes she just fasts anyway, and the frog will die in her cage. She's a little pain in the butt.

Thanks

I think her face is just gorgeous Even if she is a pain in the rear
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

I have a carinata and he has gone off feed for as long as 18 weeks.

Even when he's eating regularly he usually won't take food for 3 to 4 weeks.

They are picky eaters. I had to get ours on mice by scenting them with anoles. He has never had any interest in frogs.

What temps are you keeping her at?

Thanks

i have a carinata girl that eats pinks every week, she's one of my best feeders. but then again most of the others are picky, some do get in a rythm though and once they're eating don't stop until winter.

how long is this tree/ground boa? and how bout a top-down shot on a flat surface.

this is a well fed carinata...
    Last edited by qiksilver; 06-23-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks

I wonder if she's the same species as that snake? Her body shape is just much thinner even when she's been eating regularly. That doesnt happen for very long though... she's got a frog in her cage right now and is showing no interest. I'll keep trying to scent pinkies and maybe one day when she's hungry enough she'll go for it. I'd love to fatten her up.

Thanks

you really just don't wanna give me a size huh?
    From your pics i'll say she's not a carinata because she looks too big. the one i showed is full grown.

Thanks

I just hadnt tried measuring her in a while because she's so difficult and twists into knots when I try to hold her... I tried just now and she's about 22".

In that last pic she's wrapped around my wrist, to give a feel for the size.

STILL has not eaten the frog in her tank. Ugh.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast