Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

4 members and 3,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Live feeding bites on kingsnake.

If you don't want to read the story, please just skip to the question. The question is important, the story is not.

My brother got a common kingsnake from a friend of his. It's your typical case of the kid that purchased it thought it was "cool" to own a snake, then decided it was a waste and sold it off to someone else for real cheap. The kid said he got rid of it because it won't eat; more on this later. So, my brother knows nothing about snakes, he just felt bad. He decided that I'd be able to take it, though he did not mention he was giving it to me. A week after he bought it, I went out there to get my oil changed (just 2 days ago) and he gave the snake to me. He said maybe I could help it, because it still wasn't eating.

We have no idea if it's male or female, nor did the kid. It's about 3.5ft long, appears underweight. Kid said he was feeding it once a month (!!!!). And I do have an idea about why it isn't eating, now. I'll call it a "he." His eyes are completely blue, colors all faded, and instantly I was aware of why he was so uncomfortable. That and, the stress the poor thing has gone through!

So, after running errands with me after the oil change (he was in an all-blue sterilite bin the whole time) for a few hours (i was out in the valley, had things to do, did not plan on a snake), we got home and I set up a tub, sprayed it with Provent-a-Mite and let it dry while I showered and did things around the house. I made sure it was dry, then I sprayed the snake himself lightly with Reptile Relief, checked him over real good and didn't see anything on him (save for mice/rat bites). He's a total sweetheart, didn't get defensive once and I know he isn't feeling very comfortable and open to friendship. I'm not even a kingsnake type of woman, but if this one maintains his charming personality, he may just win me over. I didn't even want him, but as of now, I plan on keeping him. You know, regardless of whether or not he stays sweet, he may just have a constant home to call his own, anyway.

Yes, he's being quarantined, currently.

THE QUESTIONS:
    What can I do for the mice/rat bites? I cleaned them with warm water/soap, but what else could I do? At the moment, I don't have Neosporin, but would you recommend I grab some tomorrow when I go to the store? I did my best not to get the Reptile Relief on/around the bites. These bites are not near his face, but he has one on his belly (that's the biggest one), and some scattered all over his back/sides. Some have large scabs on them, one came slightly loose so I left that one alone as obviously that's the most fresh one and I didn't want to make it bleed again, some appear to be scarred.

When he sheds, will this open the wounds again?

Is it hard to transfer a kingsnake from live to frozen/thawed? I have freezers full of rats of all sizes, but not many live ones to choose from, as most are adults (way too big) and a few that are still in the pinky stage (which would be too small, but i'd rather feed this new snake a small meal anyway at first, after he's shed and settled in for 7-10 days, i'm just hopin' i can transfer him to f/t easily).

Thanks a whole bunch! I'll attempt to get a picture in the next month or two. I'm anxious to get the settling period over with, get the wounds healed, have him all shed and beautiful and on a good feeding schedule first, before I worry about pictures. Sorry this post was so long! I just know this forum has always been helpful, so figured I'd just type away.
    ~*Raven*~

Thanks

Re: Live feeding bites on kingsnake.

Aww the poor thing. I bet they just tossed a live prey in there and walked away, leaving for extended times alone with him. I'd suggest you set him up on layers of soft, plain white papertowel...lots of layers so he can hide in them if he wants but nothing can stick to those sores. Hides, right temps, etc. of course. I'd likely put his enclosure in a walk-in closet or somewhere else that's dead quiet and has little foot traffic as the poor thing must be miserable and stressed.

Neosporin is a good idea, the one without the pain relief in it and buy the store brand from WalMart. It's just as good as the name brand and half the price. The only issue I'd be worried about hon is with that many untreated rodent bites there could be an infection brewing under the skin. I highly doubt this poor snake was kept in a clean enclosure either so put open, untreated bites together with a probably dirty substrate and I'd be very concerned about infection. It's probably wise to seek a vet's opinion on whether a course of antibiotics are in order for this snake to ensure nothing is going on that way. If you do see the vet make sure to ask whether the meds administered will affect digestion as some vets suggest not feeding until after the treatment (depends on the vet and on the medication).

Other than that, typical stuff....let him settle in quietly, no handling and so forth. I don't know about kingsnakes specifically but I know most milksnakes and cornsnakes will take f/t pretty easily. Just start with a smaller than normal prey item so he's not overly stressed by a big digestive thing, better he takes a few weeks or a month of smaller feeds that he can keep down than go to a larger feed and trigger a regurge I figure.

Remember all colubrids are escape artists at heart so lid clips are a super important part of keeping them. I'd suggest you take a pic of him now for your records so one day you can look back and see how far he's come. It's wonderful you've taken on this poor snake....good for you!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks, Jo!

I feel terrible for the poor thing. I'll call the vet on Monday and see what happens then. I know he should probably have a fecal and all that, anyway, so it's definitely worth my time.

I gave him a nice comfy hide, temps are also in the good range (85F on warm, 75F on cool) and some tasty purified water. Currently, he's in the open space between the water bowl/hide with his head under a belly coil, but not quite curled up. It reminds me of someone laying with their face down and their arms over their head, as if stressed but perhaps slightly relieved? He's in a quiet area and only my boyfriend and I check on him every so often, but we approach slowly and quietly. Neither of us has disturbed him yet.

Actually, the picture idea is a good one. I think I actually will go ahead and snap a few. I know that if I can get him to thrive, the change is going to be dramatic. I bet this snake was gorgeous, before the kid bought him and turned him into an uncomfortable, wounded ball of a stressed out snake. I think he came from a pet store...I'll bet the kid was too embarrassed to even try giving it back! That's probably why he sold it to my brother.

Thank you again for your informative (and fast!) response. I can't wait to see how he turns out, if I can fix the damage that has been done. Even through the wounds, dull colors, visible spine/ribs, I can see he's a fantastic snake begging to be helped. He didn't ask for what has been done. I'm glad fate brought him to me, though it depresses me to look at what he's become.
    ~*Raven*~

Thanks

Well with your good, loving and knowledgeable care I'm sure he'll turn right around. Pictures of him will not only show you what you accomplished but may well be a learning tool for the whole community here at BPNet. It's important to be able to show our lovely, healthy snakes but also to say to a new owner..."look this is what can happen if a snake isn't cared for properly". I often use the dorsal burn scars that Orlah carries to visually warn about exposed heat lights in enclosures and I think, as they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words.

I think the vet is a great idea hon. Best to rule out/deal with any infection, parasitic load, etc. so you can get down the to the good work of helping this snake back to full health. Do ask your vet if they offer a rehabbers/rescuers discount...many vets do as there are so few people that will step up to help these snakes.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thank you for the compliments! I try to be as knowledgeable as possible, and I try to do the best I can for all of my snakes, as well as the rest of the animals...it's just always that feeling of, "Can I do more?"

I tried getting good pictures, and I can't seem to get good up-close ones of the scabs and such. From the ones I did get, however, I think it's easy to tell how thin he is, and I do believe that when I make his folder and put the before & after pictures together in it, I will see a world of difference, if he ends up thriving. I'm sure he will. He may have given up in his last home due to mistreatment, but I won't give up on him.

I'll ask the vet that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    ~*Raven*~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I haven't been on the forums for a while and am just reading through the threads. I have a lump in my throat reading this one. Poor little snake

How is he doing? Please let us know.