Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

0 members and 3,310 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ridding your life of "things"

Ever sold something you had for a VERY long time and felt better? It may not be something you value such as family photos or a card from someone special but just normal things that were there in a part of your life that was tough? I'm getting ready to move to TN in the next 8-12 months and I've sold lots of things I don't need. I feel almost like a huge stress and weight has been taken off my shoulders. It really shows me the difference from things we want, and things we need. Sadly I'm gonna have to get rid of my scaley kids. However, Abbath is going with me to TN. I can take care of 1 snake in case he gets sick, but 3? Ouch that's a big vet bill!

Anyone else had a moment or moments like this?

Thanks

Re: Ridding your life of "things"

We moved just recently and I had tons of stuff out in our shed, after Shaun and I moved into together and got married we had a lot of stuff that we didn't need so it all went out to the shed lol.

I went through all of it after we moved and anything that we hadn't used in 6 months was going. I thought about having a garage sale, but a local Great Dane Rescue was looking for donations for a huge garge sale to benefit Great Danes that they rescued from Hurricane Katrina to help their medical bill. So I contacted them and donated all of it. I had so much stuff, and none of it was junk, a lot of stuff was brand new still in boxes. It was an awesome feeling to not only get rid of all of it but to donate it to a good cause. Plus I got to play with some really HUGE Great Danes too, so that was enough reward for me.
    Kristina Rogers
    http://www.myspace.com/kristinarogers
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.1 Crested Geckos
    1.0 Pastel BCI
    0.1 Beardie (Pop Tart)

Thanks

I definately hear ya, Vom. It is my belief that objects that we hold dear, or are even around often, tend to absorb our feelings and strong emotions.
    I had this Playstation game that my ex and I played often.. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I loved it; we spent hours building up our character; etc. Then I learned that he was cheating on me, and well, that CD ended up in a few hundred pieces. It felt good to destroy it because he destroyed my feelings. Now the whole thing is comical, until I see that game selling for $30 on ebay.. could've bought a pair of jeans with that money! Or a concert tee to replace the ones that jerk sole from me.. but I definately hear you. And it was my game, not even his!
    It is far more intelligent to sell things than to destroy them; but if the shoe fits..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I definitely agree. We're moving too (actually from TN ... since I knew you were coming ) I'm finding it very easy to let go of many of our 'things'. I had crib sheets for heavens sakes, and my youngest child is 5 1/2!!! I've donated BAGS AND BAGS of clothes and toys. I still have bags and bags of clothes and toys to get rid of as well. Of course the kids aren't as relaxed about letting go. 'No mommy, I love that baby teething ring. I play with it ALL the time! Please don't get rid of that ... I LOVE IT!!!' The trick is to do it while they're not here, and then they never miss it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I looooooooooooooooove "taking out the trash!"
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

When we moved, my mom made me get rid of EVERYTHING. It feels oh so good, lol. AAND my closet was CLEAN. Now it's filled with more clothes that doesnt fit and old shoes again.. -sigh- You can never get rid of all of it.

Thanks

I know how you feel, at least once a year a go through my room and throw out almost everything! Even things that you think you might need, cuz you never really do, i just throw out evrything! it feels awesome! and its much easier than organizing everything
    Cassandra

0.1 Normal Ball Hydra
    1.2 Cats Princess Kiddy, Master Kiddy and Snickers
    0.1 Dog Raven
    1.1 Budgie Parakeets
    2.0 Ratties

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not good at letting go, but when I do, it feels a whole lot better and less clutterful (not a word, hut fits).

I just need to get back into a mindframe of cleaning again.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I definitely agree. We're moving too (actually from TN ... since I knew you were coming ) I'm finding it very easy to let go of many of our 'things'. I had crib sheets for heavens sakes, and my youngest child is 5 1/2!!! I've donated BAGS AND BAGS of clothes and toys. I still have bags and bags of clothes and toys to get rid of as well. Of course the kids aren't as relaxed about letting go. 'No mommy, I love that baby teething ring. I play with it ALL the time! Please don't get rid of that ... I LOVE IT!!!' The trick is to do it while they're not here, and then they never miss it.

this cracks me up christie. i recently got rid of all our plastic cups, plates, bowls... as my youngest is 8 and IMO should be using the normal plates etc.

this frees up an entire cupboard!

so i told my eldest daughter i did this and her response was... "oh you didn't get rid of my abc bowl did you? i looooove that bowl. how could you get rid of IT?"

i laughed... i told her to buy a new one for herself... that one was old. but she was, i guess, quite attached to it. so much so that she didn't take it with her when she moved out 2 years ago LOL

too bad, so sad... time to move on.

i practice feng shui and one of the things is getting rid of 21 items from your home (or each room which ever works for ya). so i do this regularly... especially if my life feels stuck. i walk around and choose 21 items and take them immediately to the thrift store. i find my life starts moving forward again almost immediately!!!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

I'm a die hard collector. I like cleansing the closets of old clothes, but my "COLLECTION" is what I retreat to after a hard day. Every item brings back the memories of the mostly good times we had finding them. It is usually dark with about 24 mannequins thru out the rooms. Sitting there is comforting like sitting amongst old friends. A few have special meaning, like Anne, who we had JUST found when I got the call my close friend Anne would be dead before I could get there. I don't like old dishes, clothes or household junk. Out it goes! Now that makes me feel good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast