Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

2 members and 3,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Partial shed?

Thanks

Question Partial shed?

Since I have had Lilly she has shed twice for me and once while she was at my mom's house. I know the two that I have seen have been pretty dang close to perfect sheds and from what my mom said about the other time, it went pretty well too. But after this last shed I noticed a small spot on the underside of her tail that could possibly be a cut. I'm not too worried about that, but she has also developed these places on her head and the first half of her body that look like she is sheding one scale at a time. I was going to just wait until she shed again to see if it cleared up, but I'm curious as to what it is or what caused it. I have tried like crazy to get some pictures of the spots, but I just have a little point and shoot digital camera and I can't get any of the pics to show it. Mostly it just looks like individual scales are shedding. The better part of her head is starting to look like that, then some spots of 3 or 4 scales, and some spots of just one scale. If it's still like that after she sheds again, I'm going to take her to the vet, but does anyone have any idea what that sounds like? I'll try to get pictures again, but it's more just for my curiosity than her health (which isn't at risk by this).

Thanks ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Re: Partial shed?

I've had a couple scales here or there that looked odd or kinked but they always cleared up after a shed. I think you have a good plan. If the problem worsens or continues, it's always best to seek the advice of a professional.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

my male has done this all three times hes shed since i got him always in different spots i have adjusted the humidity a little higher each time and it doesnt help. its weird but doesnt seem to bother him. so i try not to let it bother me.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

ive found if they come into contact with mineral oil vegetable oil for some reason, it will make the scales fall off one at a time in that area.

Thanks

My Bp was having bad sheds and the vet said to soak him and while in water gently pet/rub with a wash cloth, head to tail direction. It removed difficult scales, or helped him to. Also bad head shead, eyes, use lightly mineral oil to soften. Wait until next shed. or do the soak thing. But don't pet of mess with eyes. If that doesn't come off next shed, see your vet. I have increased humidity and sheds are improving. Also, see belly pink you can lightly coat with mineral oil, may help shed if snake is too dry.

Thanks

Shannon is this the same snake that was loose in your mom's home for a few weeks recently or a different snake?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Same snake But she has shed since we found her....twice I believe. I think she shed once while my mom had her, and she has shed since I have gotten her back. I'm not too sure about while she was at home, but there has been at least one shed since she was out.

It wasn't a bad shed, I actually watched her shed last time. Someone that works with my mom wanted her shed for her little boy that thinks snakes are the coolest thing ever (start them early!! ) I watched and caught her shedding. It was all one piece, so I know it's not stuck shed.

She went blue the day before yesterday, so she'll shed here soon and I can see if the odd spots go away or not. After her last shed, it was several days, to a week, before any of the spots showed up.
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)