Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,238

0 members and 3,238 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Something I have noticed...

what if you have green and grey

Thanks

Red square - negative reputation
    Green square - positive reputation
    Grey square - no points +/- (user was unable to use the rep system - usually because they are still a grand new member)

Reputation System FAQ
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Thanks i learn something new everytime i log on...

Thanks

i'm not sure the whole, think before speaking line works all the time, I agree there needs to be much more brain to mouth connection in some people, but sometimes, I think, people are just way too emotionally charged about an issue, so if you try to play devils advocate, or even add a little reason to counteract the mainly gut reactions people have then people will still get angry. not everyone has to have the same thoughts, and even if people have the same thoughts they believe that thinking is an important part of living and that maybe you should consider the other side (which more often than not you won't do), and many times considering the other side is not what people would like to do, or even hear about.

for example, the original post had a post from ben copied. he stated his opinion, then played devils advocate, but since he knew he would get a bunch of grief about it, he added the disclaimer. Most people reacted emotionally to this, so when he tried to add reason that was not the popular opinion, hence the disclaimer hoping at least half the people would catch what he was trying to say before they replied to his post with their most emotional gut reaction.
    At least that's my take on it, and my reasoning.

does this make any sense? I'm still thinking in java from a computer programming class, not english yet, but it makes sense in my head so i hope it makes sense here...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    i'm not sure the whole, think before speaking line works all the time, I agree there needs to be much more brain to mouth connection in some people, but sometimes, I think, people are just way too emotionally charged about an issue, so if you try to play devils advocate, or even add a little reason to counteract the mainly gut reactions people have then people will still get angry. not everyone has to have the same thoughts, and even if people have the same thoughts they believe that thinking is an important part of living and that maybe you should consider the other side (which more often than not you won't do), and many times considering the other side is not what people would like to do, or even hear about.

for example, the original post had a post from ben copied. he stated his opinion, then played devils advocate, but since he knew he would get a bunch of grief about it, he added the disclaimer. Most people reacted emotionally to this, so when he tried to add reason that was not the popular opinion, hence the disclaimer hoping at least half the people would catch what he was trying to say before they replied to his post with their most emotional gut reaction.
    At least that's my take on it, and my reasoning.

does this make any sense? I'm still thinking in java from a computer programming class, not english yet, but it makes sense in my head so i hope it makes sense here...
    Your right, you cannot get people to think before they type in many situations, however this is where the neg rep comes in handy. If you just shoot your mouth off on a gut instinct, there's a good chance someones gonna slap you with a neg rep. Now as I said earlier, I don't take much stock in the rep system, however every neg rep I receive I take to heart and try my best to make adjustments to the way I present myself here without compromising my opinions. Thats all the neg reps really are, just a slap on the wrist to get your attention most of the time.

Now of course there are heated discussions with varying opinions that for one reason or another will prevent people from seeing eye to eye. One needs to take that into account before they call the other person "stupid", "ignorant", or any other less-tasteful remarks about one's intelligence, and try to make CONSTRUCTIVE posts. If your not willing to accept, or even take a deeper look at someone else's opinion, you might as well point yours out and then never come back to the thread because little good can come from a close-minded argument. Now I know this is not a perfect world and you cannot make people act accordingly, however it really only takes a few good examples to make the place a much more light-hearted yet very serious place for people of similar interests to commune. I know I've been guilty of not holding up these standards before, and at some point I'll probably slip again, but ya just gotta do your best everytime you sign on to not take anything too personnaly, because seriously, what good is a INTERNET FIGHT? It's just plain childish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    Hi,

I agree that using reason against an emotional,gut reaction will only provoke outcry a great deal of the time - so I tend not to bother.

I also agree not everyone has to think about things the same way, I don't feel the need to try and change peoples deeply held beliefs most of the time and I don't really expect them to try and change mine.

I try to be open minded about most things and consider both sides of the argument rationally but not everyone chooses to do things that way or enjoys it when someone else does so in a discussion with them (my saint of a mother springs to mind here ).

As Ben rightly said the rep system should never be that big a deal - it certainly wasn't intended to be from what I can see.

And I tend to agree the most important thing is to try and remain constructive in your outlook and avoid demeaning or attacking people.

The internet fight point was also well made - there are plenty of sites on the web where nothing but screaming matches and fights fill page after page if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Personally I like and respect the fact that this site makes an effort to stay friendly, welcoming and tolerant. If I felt the need for drama I would try and start it somewhere more appropriate I promise.

I try and read as much of the site as I can and quite often I will see the start of a thread and think to myself "well that's going to turn into a trainwreck" - a wonderfully large percentage of the time it doesn't and that is due entirely to the people on here respecting each others opinions.

Now nothing is perfect and we all have off days ( I personally have about 7 of them a week on occasion) but I know I think a lot harder before giving neg rep than I do with pos rep.

I think I have given neg rep all of 3 or 4 times since I joined and I always sign them anyway but I think it's important to keep pointing out to people that if they recieve rep they feel is unfair they should contact a member of staff.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    I find it more that if you feel you have to post a disclaimer, then perhaps you should stop before you hit submit.

If even YOU recognize that a post could be distasteful and needs a disclaimer, then perhaps it's not something worth sharing.

You yourself caught a lot of heat for posting a pretty controversial video a couple of months ago, and I really don't think that a disclaimer would have "saved" you back then or even now with that one. That was one example where you should have just "stepped away from the keyboard" before posting, especially to a board full of animal lovers.

So as to your question does it strike anyone else that there may be a problem if people have to feel the need to protect themselves from the feedback of others? No - can't say as I do. Use good judgement when posting and you shouldn't have problems. It's just a forum on the huge internet - not real life, and certainly not something you should feel you have to "protect" yourself from.
    NOW that's a post worth some pos rep... and consider yourself HIT by me girl!!!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gooseman
    however every neg rep I receive I take to heart and try my best to make adjustments to the way I present myself here without compromising my opinions.

i agree completely!!! i know i look at any neg reps i get and honestly take stock of myself in that moment...

cause 'growth' is a good thing. change is a good thing. and sharing my opinion in a friendly non-threathening intelligent way is a very good thing!
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12