Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

0 members and 3,178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Man feeds puppy to boa.. wait... what?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnme
    Do you not see that it is also noted that the snake was neglectd???

I mean that alone is animal cruelty.

and how do you know they did it because it wasn't a bunny???

Seems like you only reflect back to the "they do it in the wild" theory which clearly is not the case here.

I have fed my RTB bunnies but they get respect while in my care.
    this all just means you're a decent person, and not a scumbag like the guy in question. but how many cases of animal abuse against reptiles are ignored just because they're reptiles. very few people care enough to go out of their way to help a snake, and i've definitely been to shops that i know have been reported to the authorities, and i know have been checked, but because they only have hamster, rats reptiles, fish etc and not cats and dogs no one cares.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    well touche...
    yes, he won't be doing that again, but that has no effect on other people doing it, that was more where i was headed with that. i was more saying there will be others that will do stupid things and help ruin the reputations or reptiles and their owners.
    How so? One person see's that you get jail time for it...they see that this man was put in jail for feeding a dog to his snake. It could very well make them think twice about doing this...

Thanks

Do you not see that it is also noted that the snake was neglectd???

I mean that alone is animal cruelty.

and how do you know they did it because it wasn't a bunny???

Seems like you only reflect back to the "they do it in the wild" theory which clearly is not the case here.

I have fed my RTB bunnies but they get respect while in my care.
    Meme... In the very post you quoted I said he deserved animal cruelty charges. I just only feel it's getting such attention because a puppy was involved. If he had been feeding a rabbit the SPCA/PETA would have blown it off as just another trick to get your snake to eat, which I feel is wrong and my main beef with this thread. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I stated that if I ever saw this person I would end up on the 6 o'clock news. And I only mentioned the wild in jest once when Susan stated that dogs are not a natural food item. I have never "gone back" to the wild argument. And I am not calling anyones practices into question, I have not attacked anyone for their beliefs I have just offered why I feel the way I do and continuosly explain myself when people keep asking me why. I have no doubt that the people on this forum let alone you have animals best interests at heart and take extreme care of their animals, whether it's your snakes or food items you personnaly breed.

Banned
    Thanks

this all just means you're a decent person, and not a scumbag like the guy in question. but how many cases of animal abuse against reptiles are ignored just because they're reptiles. very few people care enough to go out of their way to help a snake, and i've definitely been to shops that i know have been reported to the authorities, and i know have been checked, but because they only have hamster, rats reptiles, fish etc and not cats and dogs no one cares.
    Your just skimming the surface of what your saying...

Many people buy reptiles on impulse, or with no real knowledge of them. They listen to the pet store "experts"...They're misinformed, and their animals suffer for it. There's also stubbornness. Some people look at it as they know better and they're keeping their reptile right, no matter how many experienced individuals talk to them about the subject... It's much more than just "because they're reptiles".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    How so? One person see's that you get jail time for it...they see that this man was put in jail for feeding a dog to his snake. It could very well make them think twice about doing this...
    but there are people that think that since it's an animal it has no feelings, especially if you consider according to some of the 'experts' (some animal behaviorists and such) humans are the only things that experience emotions and pain, i've read in published papers that dogs don't respond to pain, that it's just and instinctual reaction. there are too many people who use this sort of thinking to their benefit so that they can do whatever they like to creatures so that they feel more powerful. someone who doesn't think it was wrong won't not do it because he went to jail. another thing is, most people believe they won't get caught.

Banned
    Thanks

but there are people that think that since it's an animal it has no feelings, especially if you consider according to some of the 'experts' (some animal behaviorists and such) humans are the only things that experience emotions and pain, i've read in published papers that dogs don't respond to pain, that it's just and instinctual reaction. there are too many people who use this sort of thinking to their benefit so that they can do whatever they like to creatures so that they feel more powerful. someone who doesn't think it was wrong won't not do it because he went to jail. another thing is, most people believe they won't get caught.
    If dogs didn't respond to pain, then how do all these people train them? Lets say if the dog goes to the bathroom in the house, you smack it on the butt with rolled up newspaper etc?...

Sure, jail time won't stop all of them, but it sure would make a great handful think twice before doing so. Like I said, some people are just messed in the head, and if they feel they need to feed a dog/cat to their animal; they shouldn't own one...

Thanks

this all just means you're a decent person, and not a scumbag like the guy in question. but how many cases of animal abuse against reptiles are ignored just because they're reptiles. very few people care enough to go out of their way to help a snake

thanks.

but just because some cases get ignored doesn't mean we should have leniency for those jerks that they do catch and prosecute.

It only takes one person to make a difference.

Thanks

Your just skimming the surface of what your saying...

Many people buy reptiles on impulse, or with no real knowledge of them. They listen to the pet store "experts"...They're misinformed, and their animals suffer for it. There's also stubbornness. Some people look at it as they know better and they're keeping their reptile right, no matter how many experienced individuals talk to them about the subject... It's much more than just "because they're reptiles".
    i agree with you completely, but then again there are a lot of people who if they treated a dog or cat the same way would turn it in, but because reptiles are considered less of an animal than a dog or cat they'll let it die and not do anything. often even the most stubborn self righteous person will give up a dog, sometimes their forced, sometimes the do it on their own, but the same person with a reptile? chances are the people around them won't care enough to make them surrender the animal.

it basically comes down to how different from us the creature is. a dog has expressive eyes, fur and is warm blooded. now consider the general populus' idea of a snake as pure evil, the recent texas thing for example... the ball pythons were going around eating children and pets... do you really think those people will care about a snake?

Thanks

If dogs didn't respond to pain, then how do all these people train them? Lets say if the dog goes to the bathroom in the house, you smack it on the butt with rolled up newspaper etc?...
    i feel like you think i said that i agree with this... i don't, i absolutely think dogs have thoughts and have feelings, i wasn't talking about myself.

but just because some cases get ignored doesn't mean we should have leniency for those jerks that they do catch and prosecute.
    It only takes one person to make a difference.
    i'm saying i don't think we're prosecuting him for his ill treatment of the snake, i think we're prosecuting him for feeding off a cute little defenseless puppy. which i don't agree with, i think all animals, scales fur whatever should be viewed equally by the law, but i really don't think this case is about the snake at all.

Banned
    Thanks

i agree with you completely, but then again there are a lot of people who if they treated a dog or cat the same way would turn it in, but because reptiles are considered less of an animal than a dog or cat they'll let it die and not do anything. often even the most stubborn self righteous person will give up a dog, sometimes their forced, sometimes the do it on their own, but the same person with a reptile? chances are the people around them won't care enough to make them surrender the animal.

it basically comes down to how different from us the creature is. a dog has expressive eyes, fur and is warm blooded. now consider the general populus' idea of a snake as pure evil, the recent texas thing for example... the ball pythons were going around eating children and pets... do you really think those people will care about a snake?
    If that were true, then why are there all these reptiles in reptile rescues? Why are their so many Iguana's released to animal shelters? If what your saying is true, than most people would let them starve and suffer, rather than turn them in. I've seen more dog abuse cases, than reptile. People around my neighborhood fight dogs...I don't know who it is, but they go around and steal neighborhood dogs, so theirs can "practice", then dump the bodies by the railroad tracks...I've seen people chain their dogs up outside, let them bake in the sun without water or food and let them starve/dehydrate. I've even seen someone throw their dog out of the car while they're driving down the road...

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast