Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Refused feed and possible crushing or kicking

Hi everyone iv had my bp now for about 2 weeks and all has been going well. He refused his first feed on his first week which, from what i've read is normal. I have not been handeling and doing everything by the book. ( i keep a few herps). However i come home dtoay and i notice the lock off the tank and the stuff has been moved around inside, so I immediatly went to my dad and interigated him for answers , he was shocked that i could tell things had been moved. After a while he said, my little sister had come 2 him and said whats the snake doing on the floor and it was in a ball. Now this is the thing, the cage was shut and my dad had been walking in and out of the room and the snake was in his path and to be fair my dad isnt the most observant person so if the snake was in a ball is it likely the it would have been struck by him or my sister? I'm so upset! my mum said she has held it since and she cant feel anything irregular but still i am so gutted! Is this likely to prevent him from feeding longer or all together?
    0.1.2 corn snakes 0.0.1 milk snake 0.0.1 royal python 1.0.0 bearded dragon

Thanks

Re: Refused feed and possible crushing or kicking

btw its obvious the my little sister opened the tank and then either took the snake out or let it slither out coz shes a little *****
    Last edited by JLC; 06-14-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Please watch your language...this is a family friendly site

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Hi everyone iv had my bp now for about 2 weeks and all has been going well. He refused his first feed on his first week which, from what i've read is normal. I have not been handeling and doing everything by the book. ( i keep a few herps). However i come home dtoay and i notice the lock off the tank and the stuff has been moved around inside, so I immediatly went to my dad and interigated him for answers , he was shocked that i could tell things had been moved. After a while he said, my little sister had come 2 him and said whats the snake doing on the floor and it was in a ball. Now this is the thing, the cage was shut and my dad had been walking in and out of the room and the snake was in his path and to be fair my dad isnt the most observant person so if the snake was in a ball is it likely the it would have been struck by him or my sister? I'm so upset! my mum said she has held it since and she cant feel anything irregular but still i am so gutted! Is this likely to prevent him from feeding longer or all together?
    Yep...I would say he is really stressed now. You need to keep an eye on him for a next few days. Watch for funny movements, kinks or bumps and and for anything protruding out (like a rib). I recommend you don't touch him till he eats. He will pry skip this week (but try anyway) then try each week. If he still isn't eating in say another 3-4 weeks let us know and we can give some ideas for other things to try.

At this point assume you are starting over with getting him comfortable...and by all means get a lock on the cage.
    Sean

Thanks

hi thanks for the reply im so mad! I do have locks on all my tanks due to a previous events with a milksnake and my sister (again), never found the milk snake but this morning my mum change the bulb and i guess she forgot to put the lock bak on this morning before she went to work.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

So how old is your sister.

Yea your little guy is more than likely really amped up. Cover his tank with a towel and do not mess with him for a week at least (just like when you first got him) allow him to clam down and then look him over good for any injury's. Please make your mom and dad and sister aware that regardless of how it happened your animal could have been if not has been injured or could of been lost. Then tell them that if sister wants to see and hold your snake that you request for the animals safety and well being that you be the one to at least present when she handles it.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Why does your mother have to unlock the enclosure to change a heat bulb?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

hi like I said my family is fully aware of these things my mum is into herps just as much as i am. My sisters 3 but do not be decieved by the age shes cleverer than most 6 yr old i have met and she one of them nasty kids who if you locked in a room she would knaw herself out.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    hi like I said my family is fully aware of these things my mum is into herps just as much as i am. My sisters 3 but do not be decieved by the age shes cleverer than most 6 yr old i have met and she one of them nasty kids who if you locked in a room she would knaw herself out.
    Easily solved get a lock with a key and keep the key.
    P.S why is there a heat bulb in the enclosure?? This is primed to deal with your snake getting burned and trust me it ain't pretty and can take months or even years depending on the burn and the animal to heal.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

This is what can happen to a snake with a bulb in a tank. We got this female like this, and our vet was quite surprised that the shock of having most of her dorsal skin ripped off hadn't either killed her or caused a huge system wide infection. Orlah is fine now but it's terribly sad she must carry these scars because someone didn't keep her safe from a hot bulb.

If this bulb is indeed in the snake's enclosure please consider a change in your heating arrangement or at the VERY least a protective caging around the bulb so your snake does not have to end up like Orlah.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

hi the blub is in the tank with a cage around it so the snake can get it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast