Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,401

1 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Bedding experiment

My rodent colony has grown and so has the smell. I have two 6 tub racks and some standalone tubs as well. At any given time I have 50-100 rodents here. I have tried Aspen and Pine and with both there is a noticeable ammonia smell within 2-3 days. After doing some research I am trying out a product called Woody Pet (which I think another forum member had used). It is sold as horse bedding at a lot of feed stores. The price ranges from $4-$6 per 30lb bag. It took me two 30lb bags to do 12 tubs (and I probably used slightly less than I was supposed to). The product starts out as a compressed ball of wood about the size of a pebble. It is supposed to fluff up to 4 times its size as it absorbed urine. Here is some info about the product and the website. I will let everyone know how it works and if it does what its supposed to!

www.woodypet.com

Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding (30 lb.)

The Ultimate Horse Bedding - Used by professional trainers, breeders and veterinarians world-wide!

Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding is not only the preferred horse stall bedding, but is also widely used and loved by cat, rabbit, ferret, guinea pig, hamster, parrot and bird owners as well as all other animals. Let’s put it this way; if you own animals, Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding will work for you.

Woody Pet bedding is three products in one: a moisture absorbent, that controls odors and expands into a fluffy soft bedding! The product is a dry granular material with very high absorbent capacity and absorbs very quickly. Absorbs 3 times its dry weight in moisture (urine) and expands to 4 times its original dry size. Made of pure softwood fiber with absolutely no additives and is sterile.

There are many horse stall benefits with the use of Woody Pet Bedding, such as: Reduces flies; Reduces waste; Great for foaling; Extreme absorbency; Helps to reduce hoof diseases; Reduces ammonia odor; Environmentally friendly; Reduces allergy symptoms; Reduces stall cleaning time; Reduces respiratory problems; 100% biodegradable; All animals stay cleaner and healthier; and it is not necessary to strip Woody Pet Bedded stalls every one or two weeks as it is with shavings, straw or sawdust. Many Woody Pet customers strip their stalls every five – six months, some even longer. On average, one pallet will last one horse in one stall for one year.

Available through Woody Pet Dealers and Retailers only.

Woody Pet All Purpose Litter & Animal Bedding (15 lb)

Our All Purpose Litter & Bedding is very popular with Pet Owners and Animal Breeders of all denominations. It offers the same odor and moisture absorption qualities as our Woody Pet Animal Bedding, in a smaller package for customers that do not have the storage space for the larger bags. The odor & urine absorption is unsurpassed as compared with other products in the market place, and being the “preferred choice” by cat owners and small animal rescue centers, as well as owners of large bird cages across North America. In cat litter boxes, Woody Pet absorbs more odor causing liquids and lasts longer. Cat owners have said, “Scooping the solids daily, we only replace the litter every 14-21 days and there is NO ODOR.” Because of the high compaction, Woody Pet has up to 400% more volume and will absorb up to 6 times more than most other litter & bedding products, making Woody Pet Bedding more economical for the consumer. Available through Woody Pet Dealers and Retailers only.

When discarding used Woody Pet from litter trays & small animal areas, it can be flushed in small amounts. For litter boxes and cages; start with ½ - ¾ of an inch as it will swell 3 – 4 times in depth.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Bedding experiment

Jamie what is the dust factor like?? equal to aspen or other shredded wood bedding??
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

This sounds interesting Jamie. I sent a request at their website for a dealer local to me. I'd like to do a side by side tub trial in my own rat colony and see how it stands up to other beddings over the course of the week. Let us know what you think about it once you've had some time to check it out with your colony. Thanks!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    Jamie what is the dust factor like?? equal to aspen or other shredded wood bedding??
    Out of the bag it has zero dust. Its compressed into little pellets. We'll see what happens as it expands. Check out the pictures on their site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    This sounds interesting Jamie. I sent a request at their website for a dealer local to me. I'd like to do a side by side tub trial in my own rat colony and see how it stands up to other beddings over the course of the week. Let us know what you think about it once you've had some time to check it out with your colony. Thanks!

Will do! At this point I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks

Looking forward to a detailed report Jamie! I don't think there is a distributor here locally, but ya never know. What does it run price-wise?

-Evan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jamison
    Looking forward to a detailed report Jamie! I don't think there is a distributor here locally, but ya never know. What does it run price-wise?

-Evan
    $4-$6 per 30lb bag...We'll see what happens!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Woody Pet!!! That's what Kara uses in her rodent room - a very little bit goes a LONG way - you should have seen how many bags of dirty bedding we filled after cleaning after all the mice!

Thanks

Woody Pet Rocks...I just switched back to it (I couldn't find my usual Aspen).

I used it some time ago then the local supplier went out of business so I switched to Aspen...I am so glad some local guys are carrying it again.

I will look forward to seeing what you think...for me I only have to use a single layer. I also put a handful of pine bedding in a pile to act as a nest for any nursing or prego moms (just for comfort)
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Woody Pet Rocks...I just switched back to it (I couldn't find my usual Aspen).

I used it some time ago then the local supplier went out of business so I switched to Aspen...I am so glad some local guys are carrying it again.

I will look forward to seeing what you think...for me I only have to use a single layer. I also put a handful of pine bedding in a pile to act as a nest for any nursing or prego moms (just for comfort)
    How long did it last before you had to change it and what about the smell?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast