Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,186

3 members and 3,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I came out of the snake closet at work.

My place of employment is huge, but I work with a small team of 8 (all women.) We are pretty close, but I had only told 2 people (that I was closer to friend-wise) about the snakes. Well, last week I let it all out of the bag about owning them. Here's how it happened.
    Two of the girls were talking about "good vs. evil" type stuff. They were mentioning about "do animals go to heaven when they die?" One of them said "oh yes, our dogs will go there, I know it, but what about nasty animals like snakes?" It riled me up a bit, but instead of getting mad (like I wanted to, lol) I went over and explained that I keep snakes as pets. After some weird expressions like I would make if I saw someone decapitated, they actually apologised about talking so badly about snakes; their fears and such are completely religious, and fear, influenced. My one coworker said that her older brothers would torment her by putting little garter snakes in her bed.. I guess that this could create a lifelong phobia.
    But I feel better now that I am not hiding this. And it turns out, one of my coworkers loves snakes and used to work at a zoo, and wants to see them. And my supervisor has a bearded dragon.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: I came out of the snake closet at work.

Good for you(I guess!) I've been out of the snake closet for a while now, but fortunately I don't know anyone who is afraid of snakes because of religion. How silly. Maybe you made a friend out of this experience.

Thanks

I have my balls on the wall here in my cubical That's how I came out of hte snake closet hehehe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gibbrishclown
    I have my balls on the wall here in my cubical That's how I came out of hte snake closet hehehe
    My office board has grandkids pics, snakes dogs, frog eating a mouse and horse.

Thanks

That's awesome!

When I came out of the snake closet at work, first there were some looks of horror and a bunch of questions. Now, about once a week, some of the ladies come up to me and ask if Panndor and Loki ate this week and how they're doing and how big they are. It's hilarious! They can't remember work stuff some of the time, but they know my snakes' names and when their feeding day is. I think coming out of the closet actually helped them address their fears and realize they weren't really grounded in reality.

Thanks

Now, people are asking me "how are they doing?"
    I don't really care if people talk about me behind my back about it. I hear what they say about each other behind Their Backs! So keeping snakes is nothing compared to, say, "she slept with him" and so on.. lol..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Gen, I don't know what that's all about... sometimes I think that that response is still one of fear, but a fascinated fear... like the way I felt looking at my friends newly split tongue... I didn't really want to look, but after seeing, I was a little fixated... similarly when I told some friends about a recent girly piercing, I haven't heard the end of the questioning..."what's it doin' today?" every day LOL... Same with the snakes. Do your coworkers ask you how they are with a little wrinkle on their nose? Just curious... it seems like when non snake loving chicks talk to me about mine they have a funny look on their faces... LOL. I think it's cool that you and your coworkers have more to talk about now... that's always nice, right?

Yeah I'd totally take "she keeps snakes" to "she's ______" (insert cliche bash on a female here) please bust my chops about the pets I own if that's the other alternative!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gibbrishclown
    Hehe ditto
    -Kyle
    Green = 8 Ball Python
    1.3 Normal Ball
    1.1 Nerd Lemon Pastel & VPI Pastel
    1.1 100% Het Albino and Homo Albino
    1.1 100% Het Butterscotch/Yellow Hypo
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

I'm glad that your co-workers have accepted your snake-loving side Gin. It's always nice not to feel like you have to hide part of your life with people that you work with. I actually mention my snake collection in my resume. I guess it's one of the perks of working in the zoological field .

-Evan

Thanks

Though I'm sure most people I work with know I own snakes, they also don't care all that much, which makes for very little snake story sharing. At least my husband has some snakey people to talk to!

Guess that is one of the hazards of working in the gaming/software industry!

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast