Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

0 members and 3,174 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Herping? A few questions

I'm heading down right now to see what I can find and hopefully make some trails I can walk through without hitting my head on trees AGAIN
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

If you are looking for snakes go out in the morning as it is starting to warm up (usually 9-11 am) then they are basking and a bit sluggish too.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Just got back. I found out a few cool things. The stream I was talking about flows off and on for about 2 miles. I walked up it all the way and it is the drain off of a 2-3 acre fenced in pond. The stream runs through a huge prairie setting of acres of nothing but grass and the occasional patch of trees. Also, throughout the stream, there are piles of broken up concrete, in and around the water that I plan to look around at. On 1 side of the stream there are lots of old out buildings including the outbuilding of a chicken farmer(if I can get his permission, this may be the best area for rat snakes and bull snakes.) I have also found my 2nd skull by the chicken farmers house, both look to have come from dogs. I'll have my new digital camera by the end of the week and you guys will be flooded with pics of the stream, trash piles, and rolling grass lands. I wonder if I walk through the tall grass(about knee high through waste high if I will find any bull snakes. I haven't seen any snakes this year so I'm not sure that they are all out yet. Usually I have seen atleast a few garter snakes out by now. So you think I have a better chance looking by the water or a bit further away from the water. to find the snakes?
    ~Jake~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Just got back. I found out a few cool things. The stream I was talking about flows off and on for about 2 miles. I walked up it all the way and it is the drain off of a 2-3 acre fenced in pond. The stream runs through a huge prairie setting of acres of nothing but grass and the occasional patch of trees. Also, throughout the stream, there are piles of broken up concrete, in and around the water that I plan to look around at. On 1 side of the stream there are lots of old out buildings including the outbuilding of a chicken farmer(if I can get his permission, this may be the best area for rat snakes and bull snakes.) I have also found my 2nd skull by the chicken farmers house, both look to have come from dogs. I'll have my new digital camera by the end of the week and you guys will be flooded with pics of the stream, trash piles, and rolling grass lands. I wonder if I walk through the tall grass(about knee high through waste high if I will find any bull snakes. I haven't seen any snakes this year so I'm not sure that they are all out yet. Usually I have seen atleast a few garter snakes out by now. So you think I have a better chance looking by the water or a bit further away from the water. to find the snakes?
    dude the concrete near the stream, if there are some near the edge like half in the water is a good place for salamanders, just to give ya an idea. Bull snakes are awsome!!!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

I am so excited. do you think its possible that all the snakes haven't come out of hibernation? There are HUGE trash piles all over that are about 1/4 mile from the stream, do you think those may be a good area to check out?
    ~Jake~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    I am so excited. do you think its possible that all the snakes haven't come out of hibernation? There are HUGE trash piles all over that are about 1/4 mile from the stream, do you think those may be a good area to check out?
    Trash is a great place to find snakes. The should all be out of hibernation by now, though they may not have distributed all the way through their range from wherever they over wintered. whats the temp been?

~mike

Thanks

The temps have been up and down. We have had a few days close to 100 and a few nights that the temps still hit freezing. Lately the highs have been about 75-60 while it still drops below 90 at night
    Last edited by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread; 06-04-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: messed up #'s
    ~Jake~

Thanks

they should be out by now. i would wait for a day when it is supposed to be in the 80's then head out at like 9 ish if you wanna grab som snakes. anything above about 40 is fine for amphibs.

~mike

Thanks

Its supposed to be about 85 on Wednesday. I'm actually planning on making about a 5 mile ride down to the park where I believe hognose are. I'll probably go out early tomorrow and get started. Its supposed to be 78 and sunny tomorrow so if I go out at about 8 I may find something
    ~Jake~

Thanks

wed will prob be good, mainly because it will have had a day to start warmin up. If you get to the desired site by 8 it may be too early, but if you leave for the site and get there like 9 30 you should be okay (for tomorrow that is). Wed 9 at the site should be good. Remember to take your time and be thorough no rush when lookin for cool stuff. Hognoses huh? AWSOME!

~mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast