Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

3 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: whats wrong with these guys?

I completely agree with qiksilver!

Please keep us updated on how everything turns out on the inspection.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

ok guys...what is wrong with this one? MBD again?

this RES has hugeley swollen ears it looks like. i cant identify the problem...can you guys help? he has a great attitude and a nice appetite which is rare around there

maybe he had mbd as well, but his shell isnt showing the usual signs?

EDIT. does this sound like its the problem?

Ear Abscesses: These are most common in box turtles. They appear as large bulges on either side of the head, where their ears are. The Tympanic membrane swells and a cyst develop will under it. As the infection worsens so does the cyst. If your turtle develops an abscess it is essential to have a veterinarian examine the turtle and determine if aspiration or lancing of the membrane is necessary. Most often antibiotics will also be given to the turtle to kill off any infection. Some vets will send an aspirated culture to a lab for sensitivity testing. Others will surgically remove the cyst and have that tested, or may just treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. An abscess is very painful and should never be treated without veterinary supervision.
    1.2 Het Ghost, Frank; Normals, Delilah and No-Name
    1.0 African Clawed Frog, Casper
    2.0 Sliders, Stewie and Spike

Thanks

either that or megalocephali (think thats what it is called, i know thats not how its spelled) but to me to looks more like an absess or something. Imagine an ear infection making yout head swell!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

My tortoise looked like that due to an infection and a vitamin deficeincy. Cost me 165.00 to have it cleared up.See article "Update on Daisy". We found her at a feed store in that condition. She's great now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    i think you need to talk to a dean about how far below standard this place is, and then you need to call the permitting people, and the ASPCA, or whoever, and get something done about this. take lots of pictures to document what's going on in just in case, but something needs to be done, i agree with what has been said so far, and that you should do something. if you're afraid of this guy somehow retaliating, there are ways that you can tell people anonymously. either way, something must be done, that's just awful, i'd lose sleep too.
    True...and WRITE everything down...Do U still have receipts for the supplies YOU bought?? Dates, times, quotes....

and the pictures you've posted HERE would be good strong evidence as to the befores and afters of what that creepy owner is doing, and FAILING to do.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    My tortoise looked like that due to an infection and a vitamin deficeincy. Cost me 165.00 to have it cleared up.See article "Update on Daisy". We found her at a feed store in that condition. She's great now.
    really? she looked like the one here? oh man. so this is once again caused by no uvb light you think?
    1.2 Het Ghost, Frank; Normals, Delilah and No-Name
    1.0 African Clawed Frog, Casper
    2.0 Sliders, Stewie and Spike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherHonda
    really? she looked like the one here? oh man. so this is once again caused by no uvb light you think?
    The place we got her from had no lights at all on her and a terrible diet. He claimed he got her like that, but thanks to a good vet she is doing great now.

Thanks

Mike you need to do what will sit right with you morally. This work/study issue needs to be brought directly to your dean. Take a file of your photo's and set up an appointment. Explain your concerns in detail. Perhaps a compromise where you get credit for the work time there (you certainly went WELL beyond a normal student/intern workload) and the rest for a paper on proper husbandry and what a good rescue should be providing versus what this one is. Be honest with your dean and lay it all out, I don't see how you should be punished for this mess! Heck invite you dean to drop in to the rescue unannounced for a "visit", might open the dean's eyes to this situation.

I too have been concerned all along that this may be more of a hoarding situation than a rescue as the conditions are quite horrible from what your pictures have shown. Considering that the owner seems unaware of proper husbandry, is refusing free and appropriate caging, allowing you to spend your cash and time when he should be doing this....I'd be hard pressed to not blow the whistle on him myself. Keep good records Mike, you may want to turn them over to the proper authorities at some future point.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: ok guys...what is wrong with this one? MBD again?

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherHonda

this RES has hugeley swollen ears it looks like. i cant identify the problem...can you guys help? he has a great attitude and a nice appetite which is rare around there

maybe he had mbd as well, but his shell isnt showing the usual signs?

EDIT. does this sound like its the problem?

Ear Abscesses: These are most common in box turtles. They appear as large bulges on either side of the head, where their ears are. The Tympanic membrane swells and a cyst develop will under it. As the infection worsens so does the cyst. If your turtle develops an abscess it is essential to have a veterinarian examine the turtle and determine if aspiration or lancing of the membrane is necessary. Most often antibiotics will also be given to the turtle to kill off any infection. Some vets will send an aspirated culture to a lab for sensitivity testing. Others will surgically remove the cyst and have that tested, or may just treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. An abscess is very painful and should never be treated without veterinary supervision.
    Yes that is exactly the problem!
    Ear abscess: Swelling on the side of the head

Causes: poor water quality

Treatment: Veterinary attention, possible surgery

My friend just rescued a turtle like that. I hope this info helps alittle!

Thanks

Here is a good site to look up more info on this: Red-eared Slider Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast