Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

1 members and 3,359 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Unexpected eggs... are they fertile?

I recently adopted some cresteds from someone who didn't have time to care for them anymore. I've had them for about a month. They seem healthy enough, but I don't know anything about how they were cared for before I got them.

Anyway, when I went in to do my maintenance today I noticed two small eggs in the back of the enclosure of a large female. I removed them carefully and I noticed that they have a dimple running down one side.

I've been reading caresheets, as I was planning on breeding these geckos at some point, so I know the basics of egg care, but what do those dimples mean? Is that normal? Was the female deprived of calcium before I got her? Do Cresteds lay infertile eggs?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Unexpected eggs... are they fertile?

cresteds can lay infertile eggs--sometimes females will lay a clutch or two when they reach sexual maturity (and before being put with a male) and sometimes the first clutch they lay after being put with a male is infertile. the dimple is most likely a sign that the eggs are too dry--they dimple as they lose moisture. definitely incubate them regardless. often times a fertile but dimpled egg will fill back out once it regains moisture from the incubation material. good luck with them!
    - Emily

Thanks

Thank you, I've got them in an incubator set up now. I'm trying to reach the previous owner and find out if this gecko had a chance to mate. If so, I'll tend to them until they hatch or until they definitely wont.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

if they were kept together at all, even temporarily it is likely that they did mate. i once purchased a female who was never kept with a male and she laid me some eggs. i knew they were infertile but i'm in the habit of putting all eggs in the incubator regardless until they are flat moldy pieces of rubber. one of the eggs went bad and i paid no particular attention to the second egg until one day i came home to a baby in the incubator when no baby was due. sure enough--that egg was the one that was empty. i contacted the previous owner who then said she had put her in the male's cage for just a few minutes while she cleaned her cage shortly before i bought her. oops!
    - Emily

Thanks

Well, I talked to the previous owner, looks like it's possible they're fertile. Let's hope so!

Thanks for the tip!