Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

2 members and 3,428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Harris Hawk Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo

wow amazing! ......nice shot........look how effortless they make flying look!

I used to work for the humane society and i believe it was s red tail that came in! it had a broken wing and they sent him/her to a rescue pretty cool to see up close, but you better not open that pet carrier! lol

when they're flying, you can't really see how big they are......thats the only time i have seen the talons in person, and they look like they will mess you all up!
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Claire, Do you have to be licensed in Canada to have a BOP? Any sort of apprenticeship required? A harris hawk is a great first bird. They are very social and docile as cats but fierce hunters. They are very forgiving and if you make a mistake with them it will not ruin the bird. You can train him to fly at night as well. I have one that is strictly a night hunter... hes my little ninja.

Gos hawks are not for the first time falconer. They can be very tough to fly and will take your head off if you dont train them right. The power of a Gos is amazing and the speed of their flights is unmatched for such a big bird. It is great you have the chance to be able to fly BOP . Keep us posted on your first bird. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

good luck

Yes You do need to be licensed. And an apprenticeship for at least two years(including two October hunts) is required here as well, the falconer you are mentoring will decide when you know enough. They Like you to start with either a red tail or a Kestrel<<--- Bad choice I think only cause they are little, and so many die because of inexperianced handlers. They are beggining to let your first bird be a Harris, but then you need another special permit and a licensed falconer to sign it for you. I have seen them fly at night and the hunters had a harris that would follow them from tree to tree while they flushed. Very cool. What do you hunt the most where you are?
    •°¤*Ç£@Ì®€*¤°•

Thanks

Evan,
    Thanks man.. I am pretty excited about the eggs. It has been a long breeding season for me. Dont know why its so late for these birds but I am not complaining .

That is great you are a falconer too. Not many of us around but we pop up in the craziest places.. How long have you been flying? If you need some ideas on new mews, there are some guys on the forums building them now, it might help spark an idea or 2 for you... check it out.

I love my Gos... She is in my breeding project now but she was hell on wings. I still fly her come season. You cant beat an accipiter...

Oh how i would love to trap a merlin... Great bird to fly. Good luck with trapping them both. Please keep me posted if you get one and take a lot of pictures... If you need anything dont hesitate to ask . If i cant get it, i am sure I know someone who can.
    Thanks for the offer on the help, I still have to talk the wife into letting build the mews where she wants to plant an herb garden , but I think I'm winning . I've been a falconer for 4 years now, and I absolutely love it. I will definitely take lots O pics if we do go trapping this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cl@!r3
    YThey Like you to start with either a red tail or a Kestrel<<--- Bad choice I think only cause they are little, and so many die because of inexperianced handlers.
    I agree that kestrels are a little more difficult because of weight management issues, but I think it helps apprentices realize what it kind of commitment and devotion it takes to be a successful with a bird. A couple grams can mean the difference between a successful hunt, and a potentially lost bird. I had two different kestrels during my apprenticeship, and loved flying them both. Defintely a different experience than flying an RT as a first bird, though both are pretty forgiving with manning and training errors.

Now, back to important stuff....more pics Chris

-Evan

Thanks

Gorgeus Harris hawk! and congrats on the eggs!
    a mate oof mine who works in my local reptile store flys harris hawks aswell, and he also has a beautiful European Eagle Owl called patience which was bred by Jemima Parryjones (anyone whos into Falconry will know who she is), patience is such a beauty too as is all Birds of prey actually all birds are beauties!

I have a photo of Patience on my pc if its ok to post it on this thread?
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveo
    Gorgeus Harris hawk! and congrats on the eggs!
    a mate oof mine who works in my local reptile store flys harris hawks aswell, and he also has a beautiful European Eagle Owl called patience which was bred by Jemima Parryjones (anyone whos into Falconry will know who she is), patience is such a beauty too as is all Birds of prey actually all birds are beauties!

I have a photo of Patience on my pc if its ok to post it on this thread?
    Steveo,

Thanks , I am pretty pumped about them as well. The parents are great game hawks and are very pretty.. we will see.

about your pic, post away. I would love to see Patience. What does he hunt with it?.. I am sure it is a great bird as it came from great stock.
    Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "
    -My falconry forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cl@!r3
    Yes You do need to be licensed. And an apprenticeship for at least two years(including two October hunts) is required here as well, the falconer you are mentoring will decide when you know enough. They Like you to start with either a red tail or a Kestrel<<--- Bad choice I think only cause they are little, and so many die because of inexperianced handlers. They are beggining to let your first bird be a Harris, but then you need another special permit and a licensed falconer to sign it for you. I have seen them fly at night and the hunters had a harris that would follow them from tree to tree while they flushed. Very cool. What do you hunt the most where you are?
    That is good you have an apprenticeship.. it really helps to be able to call on someone if you have a question.

I mainly hunt squirrels and rabbits and pigeons. Here in Sc, it is hard to find ducks and anything else so we are kind of limited. What kind of game is up there. ?
    Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "
    -My falconry forum

Thanks

OH forgot to say GREAT photos there AWESOME!
    he hunts rabbits with the harris hawk , and patience the EEO is trained to fly to the glove on a lure (sp)
    Here is Patience

and her TALONS! :eek: (shes a big softy... real docile nature to her she even enjoys her cuddles lol )
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

Thanks

Chris, that picture of the Cooper made me laugh as they can put on such a show! I have seen that exact face made by a young macaw that I was helping to raise. They can be QUITE intimidating if allowed!

I have a deep love of Peregrines and we see quite a few of them out here in the PNW, along with Redtails and Eagles. There is a big stand of woods not far from my house - a month or so ago, we had an owl fly right through the front yard while we were on the porch. That was quite the sight!

I'm looking forward to watching the babies hatch and get raised. Do you allow the parents to raise them, or do you pull them and feed them yourself?

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Thanks

Steveo,
    great pictures. I love the eagle owls. Never flown one, but I am sure it would be a blast.

Thank you for sharing those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dalvers63
    Chris, that picture of the Cooper made me laugh as they can put on such a show! I have seen that exact face made by a young macaw that I was helping to raise. They can be QUITE intimidating if allowed!

I have a deep love of Peregrines and we see quite a few of them out here in the PNW, along with Redtails and Eagles. There is a big stand of woods not far from my house - a month or so ago, we had an owl fly right through the front yard while we were on the porch. That was quite the sight!

I'm looking forward to watching the babies hatch and get raised. Do you allow the parents to raise them, or do you pull them and feed them yourself?
    Peregrines are one of my foavorite falcons. I have a breeding pir and hopefully they will lay as well, but I am not holding my breath.

Thank you for the warm wishes, Egg #3 may be here tomorrow.. lets hope there is one
    Chris L.

-My falconry forum

Thanks

Shelby, to see a cast fly is amazing... have you ever seen them fly?

No, I haven't. I've never actually seen falconry other than on TV.. oh well, someday I'll take it up.

EDIT: I lied.. I saw a falconry exhibition at a rennaisance fair once.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast