Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

3 members and 3,339 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: My Harris Hawk Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    I was fortunate enough to volunteer at a wildlife rehab center. I loved the work more than I can say. Most of my experience is with feeding and holding for vet checks, although I did get to give a couple shots. I had to work my way up from Robins, crows, and various other birds to the raptors. My first experience was with a Great Horned Owl, and I was amazed at how light they were. Not to mention I thought she was going to take off with me. Very impressive animals.
    Christie, that is great. Do you still work with them? I know what you mean about taking off with you. These birds are very powerfull.

It is amazing how agile they are once in flight. here is a picture of a red tail i flew this year. this was her first free flight ...

Birds of prey are amazing animals, thye have adapted to survive millions of years. They truley touch my life everyday. I really am fortunate to be able to do what I do
    Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "
    -My falconry forum

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

do you feed them rats??? what is there daily diet.

it is leagle to hunt with them where i live and alloways wanted one. are you going to be selling those babies you hatch out. if so what do they go for.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo
    Christie, that is great. Do you still work with them? I know what you mean about taking off with you. These birds are very powerfull.

It is amazing how agile they are once in flight. here is a picture of a red tail i flew this year. this was her first free flight ...

Birds of prey are amazing animals, thye have adapted to survive millions of years. They truley touch my life everyday. I really am fortunate to be able to do what I do
    Alas, no. I have been moved around the country since then and I haven't been able to find another facility like the one I volunteered at. Actually, when we mentioned what I did during our first move they told us they didn't rehab animals that were hurt .. they took them home and ate them.

What an awesome shot! That is stunning. How many different types of raptors do you have?
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I would love to be able to do that, I have ever since I learned about the middle ages in something like 3rd grade and they talked about knights and falconers. I did some research a while ago about falconry and would love to be able to pick it up as a hobby sometime in my life. I'm just curious about how you go into it, and a little bit about stuff like that mind sharing? I also read something about an 8 year apprenticeship under a falconer, is that how long it takes? That's impressive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES
    do you feed them rats??? what is there daily diet.

it is leagle to hunt with them where i live and alloways wanted one. are you going to be selling those babies you hatch out. if so what do they go for.
    Matt,
    I feed quail and rats. Varitey is the besy for them. I feed them the rats my snakes dont eat... So my rat breeding has a dual purpose around here

Yes I will be selling them, I sell them to other falconers or to eduactional programs. They got for around 700-800. But the only way to have them is to be licensed.

hope this helps
    Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "
    -My falconry forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    Alas, no. I have been moved around the country since then and I haven't been able to find another facility like the one I volunteered at. Actually, when we mentioned what I did during our first move they told us they didn't rehab animals that were hurt .. they took them home and ate them.

What an awesome shot! That is stunning. How many different types of raptors do you have?
    Christie,

Well it is great that you had that opprotunity to interact with them. It will something you will never forget for sure.

I have 3 different types of birds. Currently I have peregrine falcons, harris hawks, and Gos hawks ( Finish and North American). Along with these birds, I have also flown Red-tails and coopers hawks.

I really would like to fly a eagle.. maybe one day. If you ever are near Columbia Sc.come on by.. We can take the birds out for a flight.
    Chris L.

-My falconry forum

Thanks

How much are these going for when they hatch?

I would like to get into breeding these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    I would love to be able to do that, I have ever since I learned about the middle ages in something like 3rd grade and they talked about knights and falconers. I did some research a while ago about falconry and would love to be able to pick it up as a hobby sometime in my life. I'm just curious about how you go into it, and a little bit about stuff like that mind sharing? I also read something about an 8 year apprenticeship under a falconer, is that how long it takes? That's impressive.
    I dont mind at all,

I also have always been into anything that flies.. be it birds, insects, anthing.. it truley fascinates me.. I saw a video with a falconer flying a falcon and I was hooked.. I found out anything and everything I could about it. This is how I am with anything.. I really get obsessed. and the rest is history. I have been a falconer for about 8 years now.

There is an apprenticeship that you have to do.It is 2 years though.. Dont know If i could have done eight . It can be done, it just has to be a priority in your life.. the time will come when you are ready. It is a lot of work but it is worth every min. of it. It makes it worth it when you see stuff like this

It is amazing all interested in this. I enjoy sharing my experiences with those who are interested. I hope you all dont mind the pictures....
    Chris L.

-My falconry forum

Thanks

Dang, I used to live in Augusta, GA and travelled up to the Columbia zoo all the time. DRAT! Thank you for the offer. I may to take you up on that.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I was kidding on my previous post.

These are beautiful hawks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast