Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,467

1 members and 3,466 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: a year old now...

I personally would never own a hot, but gabbies would be one I would choose. Their patterns and colors are incredible. Yours are no exception. And those pictures show them off beautifully.
    Doris

Thanks

thank you!

the temperment on both of them is probably not what you would expect. You would think a snake that holds that kind of power would be confident of itself, but with both of these they are only defensive.

I know the rest of what I'm going to write makes them sound like they are terrified every hour of every day of their lives, but really most of the time they just sit. And they are okay with me watching them, and the only time they really react is if they feel you are above them, or when I'm trying to move them with tools (they hate tools).

It's kind of hard to explain, but I can say for sure, if you were to lean over the top of their cages, they would probably die of a heart attack (slightly exaggerating of course)...

They are scared of the hooks and they can be scared of me (but this is only when you're right there with them and trying to move them with the hook, etc), and they react by huffing and puffing and literally bursting energy to move as fast they can away... but most of the time you can get right up to the glass with them on the front of their cages without them doing anything... the female does sometimes acknowledge your presence by tilting her head up, as if to challenge you...

Let's see, their nicknames are "huff" and "puff" and I hear them huffing and puffing just about every time someone walks by them (especially if they move to quickly)...

But out of all the day-to-day care for the past 10 months, I have been struck at only once through the glass by the male. And he was just having a bad day... It was also when he was younger, and even more nervious about me...

And the thing is, as some of you may already know, I have to get in there everyday and move them around with the hooks because they won't drink water on their own. For some reason gaboons just can't remember where water is and the only way they'll drink from standing water is if they happen to stumble across it... But they don't move around that much, so I have to take them both to their bowls once a day, and that works... It's also pretty amazing to watch them drink...
    www.monsterpets.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blake_Herman

And the thing is, as some of you may already know, I have to get in there everyday and move them around with the hooks because they won't drink water on their own. For some reason gaboons just can't remember where water is and the only way they'll drink from standing water is if they happen to stumble across it... But they don't move around that much, so I have to take them both to their bowls once a day, and that works... It's also pretty amazing to watch them drink...

wow! i didn't know that! is it the fact that it's not running water! what about putting one of those stones that go in fish tanks.............that pretty cool though
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

Dude ripping Gaboons!!

You take some freaking awesome pictures as well. Keep em coming!!

Good luck with them...and as always be careful lol.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

one of my personal fav hots. i want one so bad but am kinda afraid so im holding off for a long time.

thanks for the awesome pics.

keep them comin.

Thanks

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ittlemouse.jpg

i love that pic!
    Awesome pair, ive always had an eye for them.

Thanks

Katie is "HOT" !!! No, Seriously!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

how much would the antivenom cost and how offen to you have to buy it? (if it has a shelf life) also how do you get a hold of it? I know in AZ they have the stuff for everything that I had right in the Post hospital. Centipeeds, scorpions, Rattlers, I really didnt have to wory about buying the anti-venom and it was paid for by the military... I too have yet to be bitten, but I nolonger have hots.
    sorry for all the questions, just wondering.

I was stupid in AZ. I knew how to care for the animals I had but I didnt have the antivenom, nor do i know anything about it. That is why i nolonger have them.
    Jessica K

Thanks

Great shots Blake!!

That pair has grown quick!

Thanks

a friend of ours here has enough to get me started with the antivenom if anything were to go wrong, and then anything else would be brought in from venom-one's stock in florida, and then it gets charged through the hospital and you pay for it with the hospital bills...

well here are a couple more pics from today that show some size comparisions of dougie... (and I just want to go ahead and clarify - there is a zoom lens on my camera - I'm not as close as the pictures may look. And I have my camera in one hand, with a hook in the other in case he were to try to make a run for it) And I had backup in the room watching in case I might miss something while looking through the camera lens...

and another cool one of fat katie coiled... there's a poop coming soon!
    www.monsterpets.net

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast