Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

0 members and 3,215 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bp Vs Rtb

Thanks

Bp Vs Rtb

Question:

I have about a 3 and a half ft ball python, love it to death, pretty tame for the most part, only struck at me a couple of times, barely snagged me once, but it was my fault.

I know they're a pretty laid back snake, and that's what i love about it.

Over the last few months i've fallen in love with the RTB and have been looking to get one. This guy i know who works at my petstore wants to get rid of his RTB with everything for $350. It's 5ft and very tame, so i was thinking about getting it.

My question is, How are they compared to the BP? Are they similar in attitude, housing, and what not? I've been reading up on them, and of course they're not going to be identical, but is the RTB an aggresive snake, or laid back like the BP?

I figured i can do all the reading i want, but when it comes down to my decision, i figured i'd ask the people who have already had them, own them, and experienced them.

What do you guys think, and say?

Thanks

Re: Bp Vs Rtb

I don't actually own one, but I've done some research on them so I will try to answer your questions.
    Attitude: I really couldn't tell you since I don't have one.
    Size/housing: RTBs can get over 7 feet long, so they need a tank bigger than what you would house a BP in.

Also: it isn't too good of an idea to keep them near each other, as boas can carry IBD without showing signs, which is potentially fatal for BPs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    I don't actually own one, but I've done some research on them so I will try to answer your questions.
    Attitude: I really couldn't tell you since I don't have one.
    Size/housing: RTBs can get over 7 feet long, so they need a tank bigger than what you would house a BP in.

Also: it isn't too good of an idea to keep them near each other, as boas can carry IBD without showing signs, which is potentially fatal for BPs.
    DITTO

Temperment: Basically the same, however RTB's hate to go back into their cage once their out, and can be defensive of their cage when taking them out. It's almost as though they don't know what they want. lol.

Thanks

Find out it's a BCI or a BCC if it's the latter and female the snake is capable of reaching 10'+. Basically ask yourself if you're comfortable working with a snake that has the potential to be get this size----->Click

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Eyes
    Find out it's a BCI or a BCC if it's the latter and female the snake is capable of reaching 10'+. Basically ask yourself if you're comfortable working with a snake that has the potential to be get this size----->Click
    almost but not quite.
    Colombian BCI's reach 10+ which I would almost guarantee is what you're going to get, they're the most common boa in the pet trade, so if you're serious about this be ready for that.

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Most petstore boas aren't pure colombian. I have seen many boas sold as colombian that were clearly full of central American blood. Now on to the size. Assuming it isn't B.c.c., you likely won't end up with a 10' or even 8' snake unless you try for it by feeding a lot of food. Its rare, even with power feeding for a B.c.i. to get much over 10' and in my opinion shouldn't even get over 8'. There are a ton of localities of B.c.i. with some that will never get over 5' even with a lot of food to the ones that can occasionally get to the 10' mark.

For $350 with cage and all, I would pass. I would much rather start with a guarenteed(sp?) healthy animal that you can raise on your own. I would have been fairly intimidated had I jumped into the game with a 6' boa vs. a 18" baby that grew into a 6' boa over the period of 3-4 years. You'll be far more satisified if you start with a baby vs. an older one. Starting with a baby, you should have no fear of a giant snake since you have control over this when they are babies.

Hope this long post helps
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Monty
    My question is, How are they compared to the BP? Are they similar in attitude, housing, and what not? I've been reading up on them, and of course they're not going to be identical, but is the RTB an aggresive snake, or laid back like the BP?

I figured i can do all the reading i want, but when it comes down to my decision, i figured i'd ask the people who have already had them, own them, and experienced them.

What do you guys think, and say?
    For housing and temperment.
    I've only been nipped during feeding time and guess what, it was my fault!
    Housing is pretty simple. They do fine is tubs but they also make awesome display animals as well. I don't even use hides of any of my 4(that sounds like a lot) and they all eat flawlesly every week, even is shed. I've never seen a boa that with time won't take frozen thawed.
    I bought 2 of my boas on strictly live mice feeders, first meal for both was a thawed out rat. Not picky at all

I would go with no less than 1 square foot of cage for every foot of snake(just a rule I find that works well for me) but the good thing is, a big cage won't stress them out easily so you can go wild where with a BP a huge cage could cause some big problems.
    ~Jake~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    Most petstore boas aren't pure colombian.
    I know
    I have seen many boas sold as colombian that were clearly full of central American blood.
    and me too
    Now on to the size. Assuming it isn't B.c.c., you likely won't end up with a 10' or even 8' snake unless you try for it by feeding a lot of food. Its rare, even with power feeding for a B.c.i. to get much over 10' and in my opinion shouldn't even get over 8'. There are a ton of localities of B.c.i. with some that will never get over 5' even with a lot of food to the ones that can occasionally get to the 10' mark.

For $350 with cage and all, I would pass. I would much rather start with a guarenteed(sp?) healthy animal that you can raise on your own. I would have been fairly intimidated had I jumped into the game with a 6' boa vs. a 18" baby that grew into a 6' boa over the period of 3-4 years. You'll be far more satisified if you start with a baby vs. an older one. Starting with a baby, you should have no fear of a giant snake since you have control over this when they are babies.

Hope this long post helps
    I wouldn't say it was that long, but then again I can be rather long winded. And I agree about the getting a baby would be better, but I have seen a roughly 9 foot common boa. I agree it's not common, but yeah it happens. I would say it's kinda nice to know the extremes before you get into something which is what I was saying, but you're right.

Thanks

you said you don't use hides at all? is this common with alot of boa keepers? i will be moving my bp to a rack and will have a 20gal long tank free. my bp lives 99% of his live in his hides, so he really isn't a display snake. people come over and are like... where is he? so would a boa be more active, or just put it's self on display?
    -Kevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    you said you don't use hides at all? is this common with alot of boa keepers? i will be moving my bp to a rack and will have a 20gal long tank free. my bp lives 99% of his live in his hides, so he really isn't a display snake. people come over and are like... where is he? so would a boa be more active, or just put it's self on display?
    Yep, no hides. Most boa keepers that I know of do the same, hides aren't necesary for most boas IMO. I have a female that is just over 1 month old(thanks Jimi) and she doesn't hide at all, she even ate the day she got here. My big female(6'+) almost always is just curled up when I come in and by the time I get around to opening the cage, shes springin into my arms.
    ~Jake~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast