Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Dog trainers?

Thanks

Re: Dog trainers?

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    Jess, I don't know what else to say. I keep saying I'm trying to remedy the problem, I'm trying to get the fence repaired, I'm kenneling the dogs. I don't need the scare tactics, and frankly, it's pretty much making me sick to my stomach. I've had dogs that were hit by cars before. I grew up on a farm, I've seen gore, I've seen favorite animals maimed and reduced to something unrecognizable due to trauma. I really don't need to be 'scared straight.' I don't need to SEE PICTURES, why would you even say that?? I don't know what to say to you -- I accept responsibility for what has happened and I'm trying to set things right.
    I'm glad that -that- dog is confined. However, you repeatedly defended the off-leash policy in your neighborhood as being just fine. I'm trying to convince you otherwise. You didn't see a problem with it at all, until one of your dogs developed agression issues. Hence why I feel that you aren't taking the free-roaming issue seriously, and believe me, it's very serious for the dogs. That's what I was trying to convey to you.

If you have re-evaluated the topic and decided to put up a fence and keep -all- of your dogs properly contained, then I commend you.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

I defended it once. But I realize that leaving them loose was a temporary fix that got out of hand, a shortage of cash issue, and a dependence I became a little too comfortable with, and now I'm digging post holes tonight to start fixing the area of broken fence. My boyfriend stopped by our house this morning and kennelled and crated our dogs.

I know that working in a vet's office could probably embitter someone's attitude toward's pet owners (my friend did and he developed a similar attitude), but I just don't need someone talking about brains and guts when I'm trying to fix the situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    I'm digging post holes tonight to start fixing the area of broken fence. My boyfriend stopped by our house this morning and kennelled and crated our dogs.
    I'm glad to hear you are getting it taken care of. :-)
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    I'm glad to hear you are getting it taken care of. :-)
    Thanks . I know you mean well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Spectacular on the fencing! I hope it makes you sleep better at night, and now you can also let them outside for dinner parties when friends are over looking at the scaley babies too.
    Hopefully your efforts at training start to pay off quickly as well. Since you started in on it as soon as the aggression started you have a great chance of getting her under control without too much time and less wear and tear on your other dogs.
    Boxers can be such absolutely GREAT dogs, but whent hey go bad, they go VERY bad. I've personally had my hand ripped open by one, and I don't ever want any other boxer to get that way if I can help it at all. That one was purely because the owners didn't want to bother doing much to curb his behavior, and it started the same way yours has. Occasional animal aggression. They passed it on rather than correct the problem and after FOUR people suffered injuries it was FINALLY put down.
    Your dog is WAAY early in that progression, and I am estactic to hear you are concerned and willing to work with her to correct it. Boxers are way too great of a breed to waste them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

My guess is the boxer is just testing its new owners "boundaries"... You're doing it right by establishing those RIGHT NOW. First big thing will be leash training...and its good to hear you're already working on that. A lot of dominance issues can be handled by teaching your dog whos boss while on a walk...and plus it tires them out so you can do other work later.

I applaud you for your efforts...many give up on their dogs way too soon, because its "too hard".

Let us know how she progresses...and how about some pictures?

Best of luck.

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

We worked with her on a leash for about half an hour yesterday, holding onto the leash by our sides and keeping her right at pace with our feet, and walked her in between the two of us. I'm also trying to make sure I am very vocal with the right tones when I tell her no, and she is getting a no for EVERYTHING that she does out of line from now on, from sniffing at trash to giving a wrong look to the younger puppy. I think the biggest challenge is going to be working her with the husky. That's where the aggression is coming from, and now that I think about it, about a month ago, I walked them both on a split leash, and I could not get her to stop going after the husky... I didn't think much of it then, but now it's happening quite a bit. She's such a clown and has such a funny personality. I have been around severely aggressive dogs and I have faith that she can come back from this; it's my fault that I haven't strongly ingrained rules for her to follow.

Here's a couple pics .

Thanks

She's a good lookin' pup! I bet its hard to say no to that face eh?

I'm positive if you keep up with that work you'll have an excellent pet for the remainder of its life! Kudos for giving her a great home.
    Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBallPython
    She's a good lookin' pup! I bet its hard to say no to that face eh?

I'm positive if you keep up with that work you'll have an excellent pet for the remainder of its life! Kudos for giving her a great home.
    VERY hard! Especially because she starts snorting and getting frustrated when she knows we're upset at her. LOL Thanks.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456