Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,325

3 members and 1,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,581
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dog trainers?

Thanks

Dog trainers?

I think I've heard a couple of you out there say you're dog trainers. I was wondering if anyone should give me a little insight into the problem I'm having with my boxer. I have two other dogs that I had before her, and she was a rescue. She's for the most part obedient, and never aggressive towards humans. But during the last week, we've been notcing some aggressive tendencies toward other dogs. She's been attacking our other dogs, often where there is no initial agitation or badgering by our other dogs. This morning she attacked our puppy for standing in the doorway to the room. It's inexplicable and seems sudden. Our neighbor called us today as well, to ask us to keep her in the pen, because she's been biting one of their dogs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her more submissive in her interactions? This really can't continue. Thanks.

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dog trainers?

I have no suggestions at all. When our dalmation became aggressive (he was a rescue as well) our vet suggested we put him down as our youngest was just learning to walk at that time and her face was right at the level of his mouth. Hope you find a different solution to your situation.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Every time that he shows agression...be it subtle as posturing...or as obvious as snarling/biting you need to lay your dog down....and roll him on his back...pin him...

You need to teach him that it is okay to be submissive, and dominant behaviors are not acceptable. Hold him down gently....and only release and praise once he has calmed down...just keep at it.

Good luck!

-Jason
    Jason

Thanks

Jball I'll give that a try.

Euthanasia is NOT an option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel

That makes 2 of us, Im glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I hope she comes around for you Just don't give up on her

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    Jball I'll give that a try.

It worked pretty well with my Shar Pei.... although in the long run we had to legally have him euthanized...or get sued...and they'd euthanize him anyway. A neighbor had entered our home when we were gone...he was definitely a territorial dog...he bit the neighbor....

I will never ever give up on a dog, I also agree euthanasia is not an option for me...dogs aren't bad creatures...they just need gentle training, guidance, and socialization. There are people that should not own dogs...
    Jason

Thanks

well I don't understand how it got bad enough for euthanasia??? sorry to hear that though. but I've heard a lot about what jason is talking about especially since dogs are pack animals they respond well to displays of dominance, which is what it sounds like your dog is doing, she's showing the puppy that she's the matriarch.
    hope she can be made less of a dominant individual because I have tried the whole, I'm dominant thing as jason said with a very large lab x rotti and he just doesn't want any part he'll just start nipping and flailing, but i don't know.
    good luck

Thanks

It's just so sudden that her behavior has changed... And she's still very sweet towards people. I'm really going to have to stay on her to make sure. I really don't want to screw up what we have in this neighborhood -- all of our dogs run loose most of the time and the neighbors don't mind having this and this person's dogs in their yards, etc... And this would be just the thing to make that no longer possible.

I'm trying to think of some dominance exercises I could try.... I was thinking about feeding the two other dogs first, and as jball suggested, putting her in the submissive position when I detect that sort of aggression happening... Any other suggestions?

Thanks

i don't think its an overall dog issue, i think she's just jealous of the new brat taking up space in her house

Thanks

One thought. Is she spayed? If she's coming into heat her behavior is bound to change towards other dogs...especially towards males.
    Jason

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast