Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

2 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking what you think? could use some tips.

Just picked up this poor little baby. It's owners could no longer care for him/her.

So far he/she seems healthy but it has a vet apt. next week. I'm going to be doing some more extencive reasearch on this type of snake. Any pointers would be wonderful.

I would really love for him to be on display when he come out of the big Q. So what would you recomend for a really nice display set up? I could also use noe good name Ideas

Thank you for all of your help

P.S. if this is not in the right forum please move it . It looks just like a CP but i could be way off. (never seeing one in person untill now)
    Jessica K

Thanks

Re: what you think? could use some tips.

Nice snake. I'd get a nice big tank with plenty of vertical space and some branches to climb on. Maybe something like one of the larger size lizard lounges. Use a moist substrate like damp coconut fiber with a hiding spot on the ground, as well as one up in a branch. Use a big water bowl and mist regularly. Keep a temp. gradient of 75 - 85. Good luck and please post pictures once he's finally on display.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Thanks so much. I have always wanted one but could never afford one

I got him by mistake really. My friend got bit by a dog that belonged to the people next door to the owners and I knocked on the wrong door by mistake. There was a 55 gal. long/tall tank laying out in there yard and being me I asked about it. they told me it was for a snake and I asked about it. They said it was a python, thought to be a Ball Python. I told them I had BPs and they asked if I wanted him. when I looked could tell right away that it was a Carpet. So I now have a 55 gal long/tall tank and a nippy baby Carpet.

I'm going to use the 55 tank for my tree frogs untill this little fella gets bigger. The little guy is in a tub right now sleeping untill he gets a clean bill of health and a few months in the "Q Room"
    Jessica K

Thanks

Looks like a jungle/coastal cross or there abouts, maybe "Lucky" could be a good name now that he or she is in good caring hands!
    Scott Collien

Sputnik's Reptiles

Thanks

lol good name. Poor little guy seems really dehydrated (sp?) once he woke up from his nap he came out of his hide and drank for almost 20 min.

I gave him a good look over. so far i see no mites but i used PAM any way just to be sure. He seems to have some really stuck on shed that is covering his nose and mouth. Should I just leave it for his next shed? (he is going into shed right now any way)

Belly markings are speckeled gray and black and the scales are clear of any scale rot. I'm really suprized about that. his "critter keeper" home was NASTY!!

So what is this Cross that you were talking about? Jungle/ coastal?
    Jessica K

Thanks

He looks like a nice carpet. Though I do love my BPs, I have a great love of carpets and all Australian snakes. Out of the 25 that I have now, 6 are one species of carpet python or another.

Here's what we just set up for our Irian Jaya/Jaguar siblings. The tank itself is about 48"x19x20. Being made of wood, we were able to use bird perches that already have bolts drilled into the end. A couple of hides and a silk philodendron that I had hanging around and they're set up. Under the light is 94F during the day and 85 at night. They have one cool side that is 72 at night and the other side stays at 75-76.

I love having these guys out in the living room as they are really not that shy and like to hang out in the "trees". I think you'll fall in love with them as much as I did years ago!

deb

Deb

iHerp. Do you?

Thanks

He seems to be very much of an explorer. but his atitude is... well very much "touch me and I bite you!" I do however LOVE his blue tongue. it rocks.
    Jessica K

Thanks

I agree with Scott that he/she is likely a jungle/coastal cross. Esp. when the owners had no idea what it was. Had it been one or the other, they would more than likely have at least known it was a carpet python! LOL!!

I would give he/she some nice warm soaks to help with the dehydration as well as helping to ease the shed. You will be surprised at how well the animal will look after it sheds and has been taken care of properly.

If you are looking for a nice display setup, then I would go with something like Deb has pictured. As far as the general set up, I would agree with everything in the bottom quote except the moist substrate or the regular misting. It is not necessary. As long as the animal has a fresh constant source of water, you should be fine.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace
    Nice snake. I'd get a nice big tank with plenty of vertical space and some branches to climb on. Maybe something like one of the larger size lizard lounges. Use a moist substrate like damp coconut fiber with a hiding spot on the ground, as well as one up in a branch. Use a big water bowl and mist regularly. Keep a temp. gradient of 75 - 85. Good luck and please post pictures once he's finally on display.

Thanks

Thank you all for the info. I have been doing alot of reading on theise guys and so far I'm getting more and more thrilled about keeping him/her. hoppefuly he will loose the bad mood when he grows up *fingers crossed* (that wont stop me from keeping him/her though )

Saddly the owners knew nothing about snakes. They had him/her in a 1 gal. critter keeper on top of there dryer. I asked how long him/her was there for and the answer I got was "somewhere between 6 and 8 months." They were also convinced that he/she was a Pastel Ball Python.

good news though...
    I had to clean out the water dish this morning and I placed some warm water in it and he/she hopped right in. The shed is gone now and I was left with quite a poo to clean up.

I do however have a few odd questions that I couldn't find the answers for.

How big to the Jungle x Coastal Carpets get?
    How fast do they grow with a proper feeding?
    Around what age do Carpets out grow there nippy nature? Does this apply to the crosses? And once he/she has the 2 weeks rest would handeling for small amounts of time tame him/her down any faster?
    last one for now I promise....

He is roughly 2 and a half to 3 feet long... how old would you say he/she might be.

I know theise are hard questions to answer, and I feel silly for asking but I could never find out if I don't ask.
    Jessica K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jessie_k_pythons
    I do however have a few odd questions that I couldn't find the answers for.

How big to the Jungle x Coastal Carpets get?
    Being that jungles grow to about 8 feet and coastals to over 10 feet, somewhere in between.

How fast do they grow with a proper feeding?
    They can grow to adult size in 2 1/2 - 3 years.

Around what age do Carpets out grow there nippy nature? Does this apply to the crosses?
    Most carpets will outgrow their nippy stage by the time they are a year old. I think this one may take a bit longer to gain your trust.

And once he/she has the 2 weeks rest would handeling for small amounts of time tame him/her down any faster?
    Hard to say but couldn't hurt. If you are worried about the bites, I would suggest using some gloves for the first few times.

He is roughly 2 and a half to 3 feet long... how old would you say he/she might be.
    Could be anywhere from 7- 8 months to 1 1/2 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast