Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Scabbers

Thanks

Re: RIP Scabbers

I am so sorry; it definately sounds like you did everything humanly possible for him. May he rest in peace.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    How old is Stewie?
    Jo,

He's one we bred when we decided to start raising our own, and Scabbers had become a pet. He was a year this March.

He's a squishy, lover too. I'm REALLY hoping his IS just allergies, or asthma. He's snuffly, and a rare sneeze, but NO porphorin at all....that's why the vet didn't think anything of Scabbers...more along the lines of asthma or allergies. I'd really HATE to find out Stewie has an abcess, too but no use borrowing trouble. I'll wait for Dr. F to get the necropsy report and then discuss if we'd need to get radiographs.

Until then, I keep dosing him w/the doxycycline/pred like before and watch to see that he doesn't start belly breathing. I'm tempted to return the O2 bottle b4 another month's "rent" is due on it, but I want it on-hand, should Stewie start to need it.

Robin will be her for M's D. Haven't decided yet whether or not to suggest the funeral for Sunday, or Tuesday, when she comes back to spend the week with me.

Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

If it IS allergies, try some Triaminic Orange(chlorpheniramine liquid). If it works, then it's allergies.

You can also do a Baytril/Doxy combo as the pred will reduce his immune system enough to make him sick.

Try the antihistamine first though and see how that works. I've had good luck with it and Benadryl children's liquid.

Sorry about your boy
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Becky, Do I free choice the antihistamine (or cold medicine)??? Or is it a dosage on a schedule. Do I need to compound it down for the rat size/body weight?

Dosing rats is a lot different for me vs. horses/cows, but I'm learning each time I have to do it, and then I file it away for later reference.

Thanks for your help and suggestions! I'll talk to Dr. F on Monday about the baytril/dox combo as an option.

BTW, Stewie does have some echinacea in a water bottle as free choice, but I remove it every few days for about 5-7 days so he doesn't develop an immunity to its affects.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Re: RIP Scabbers : UPDATE

Spoke w/Dr. Heidl on Tues. and got the written report summary today.

Scabbers' abcess swab culture was identified as actinomyces and the reading said "3+" under GROWTH. And according to both vets, any broad spectrum antibiotic should have killed it. Both Dr. Heidl and my vet, Dr. F didn't know why the doxy and baytril hadn't worked. There was another entry saying pseudomonas with a "<1+" for GROWTH. ???huh? Either there was minimal growth or some growth but not much. I'm going to call Dr. F tomorrow and find out what it means. I do know that Pseud. is one that tends to be a secondary infection.

Dr. F called me yesterday and wanted to discuss the report. He did offer words of encouragement, and that he was "impressed" that I had had the necropsy done, and that I am caring for our pets, but still..........

Just thought I'd post the results here, so maybe someone else won't have to go thru this like we did.

R.
    Sweety314

Thanks

You can give the antihistamine every 4-6 hours depending on how he feels. It's children's formula, so I would give maybe 0.1-0.2ml 2-3 times a day. You may have to mix it in something as it tastes like booootay, or just make him take it, LOL.

How long has he been on the steroids? If you can try to wean him off of those and see if just the triaminic orange helps, then it may just be allergies. I have a few that get all snorty and snuffly during the winter(really dry air) and during the summer(pollen, mold, etc in the air). So really it never stops, LOL.

If the antibiotics aren't doing anything, then I'd try that for a week or two and see how he does. Children's Liquid Benadryl works well too.

www.ratguide.com is a great site for dosages and other fun stuff.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Thanks sooooooooooo much for the link Becky!! I've set it as a favorite.

You're always a big help for my ratties.
    Sweety314

Thanks

Western Oregon is meth capitol of the world right now and I can't get the ORANGE Triaminic. Would the cold/allergy Dimetapp work too? I've gotten him on the children's benadryl, but there isn't any improvement yet.

I'll try the grape Dimetapp and see what happens.
    Sweety314

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12