Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,296

0 members and 3,296 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: rack is worse than i thought

I think Ed is right, after looking at the first pic she could do that and off set the new screws to either side of the old one, fill the old hole and repiant it and you would never tell.. there should be plenty of space for a new hole.. i would just add that aleesha may want to pre-drill a starter hole to prevent splitting of the wood..
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    Wouldn't that mean a whole bunch of extra holes? And new holes that are awfully close to the old holes, which would jeopardize the integrity of the wood being drilled? Or maybe I'm just not picturing what you're saying correctly.
    Joe

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

the only problem with this idea is... my hubby routed out the side bars (for a lack of better word to call them) so the shelves fit in each one!

so we'd have to replace all four side bars in reality.

the reason we were going for the 1/4" gap was so we didn't need to drill the bins... the humidity would stay higher and they'd still have ventilation.

it's my understanding (and i could be wrong... haven't had a coffee yet) that the concern is the snakes 'nosing' the bin forward and escaping... so if we put something down the front and back so the bins can't be brought forward (but obviously i can remove it easily to get into the bins) then wouldn't that fix this problem?
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like this..

When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

oh i get it... i do... i just don't know if there's enough room in the routed out area to do it. of course *lazy thinking cap on here* i could just get him to turn the "vertical legs" (as we are now calling them) inside out and have the routed area visible...

but i can't imagine my hubby being happy about that. he already doesn't like how this turned out... and so i can only imagine his unhappy face if he has to have it look worse.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

While all good ideas at 3/8" gap there is still no real need to change and redo all the shelves...the snakes will be too thick to get out.

However, I agree with you Aleesha, I would run a board down the back so the tubs cannot be pushed backwards and then put small dowel pins in the front to keep the tubs moving forward.
    Sean

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    oh i get it... i do... i just don't know if there's enough room in the routed out area to do it. of course *lazy thinking cap on here* i could just get him to turn the "vertical legs" (as we are now calling them) inside out and have the routed area visible...

but i can't imagine my hubby being happy about that. he already doesn't like how this turned out... and so i can only imagine his unhappy face if he has to have it look worse.
    Or just route the area a little bigger to allow the shelves to be move up
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks for clarifying, Joe and Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess

it's my understanding (and i could be wrong... haven't had a coffee yet) that the concern is the snakes 'nosing' the bin forward and escaping... so if we put something down the front and back so the bins can't be brought forward (but obviously i can remove it easily to get into the bins) then wouldn't that fix this problem?
    Sounds to me like some sort of locking pin for each tub would be all you need. Just a little dowl or little block of wood or somesuch, attached to each shelf that can twist vertical to keep the tub from sliding out...and twist horizontal to allow the tub to slide freely. And one end of the rack can be up against a wall so you wouldn't even have to do that side, but you could easily do both sides, or nail one long piece of wood along the backside as a permanent catch.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    While all good ideas at 3/8" gap there is still no real need to change and redo all the shelves...the snakes will be too thick to get out.
    i worship thee

(the less work the better) LOL
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222
    try 2 thin strips of luwann (sp) under each tub to close the gap a bit...
    Sort of similar to what I did. I used 1/8 " peg board b/c it was handy. Since the rack is built it very well may be hard to fit a screwdriver in there and drill in the pieces; however, I don't see why some sort of glue wouldn't work as well.

As far as heat goes I like the fact that it sits a little higher letting the flexwatt breathe a bit, and I have not noticed any major heating issues to getting the temps just right.

There has been no sagging, either. Just an idea, although I'm on my second cup of coffe and a little jittery.

Thanks

I agree. the less work the better, and it will look just as good. like it was ment to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Joe

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast