Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Taming an aggresive ball...

It's not that much of a problem but I was wondering if anyone could help me get my ball a more comfortable around people and not so insecure. I've got his cage set up good for him. It's a 7 qt which I thought would do good for him while I try to help him become more secure. I'm going to be putting him in a 28qt soon. I've used hides which he likes but he still keeps striking every chance he gets, I just got him a couple weeks ago, he is a het male which I heard are typically a little more aggresive than "normals". He's still pretty little 380 grams I think it was when I weighed him. Should I try holding him as much as I can? I hold him once in a while. Another problem is he is too focused on looking at me when I try feeding. And all he does is bite the rat/mouse instead of eat it. He's not eating well and I'm thinking he feels insecure which is a problem. I was also wondering if this would effect breeding once he's big enough. So any tips please about making him feel better and the feeding? Thanks!
    - Jon

Thanks

Re: Taming an aggresive ball...

Couple of things.
    1.Make sure temps are accurite nite/day.

2.Provide two shelters. at warm side and cooler side(so he can feel secure where ever the temps are best for him.

3.If youve just gotten him give him 2 weeks atleast to get used to the enclosure

4. After the 2 weeks hold him on a daily basis,(**please get facts on handling bps**

5. As for feeding try feeding pre-killed mice and dropp the mouse where the hide is. Then leave him alone. He could be frightened that your watching. Bps are very shy

6. Young bps ten to be a little insecure with us but will become very docile after daily handling practices

7.Hets are not more tempered then normal bps, All Bps are bps theres no differ characteristics. Execpt maybe when you try cross breeding *in which you should never attempt to do.

Thanks

sounds good, thanks for the tips
    - Jon

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

When handling a scared or aggressive ball. Move slow no sudden movements, support their body. Ball rarely bit the hand thats holding them. And if it makes you feel better get some gloves.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    When handling a scared or aggressive ball. Move slow no sudden movements, support their body. Ball rarely bit the hand thats holding them. And if it makes you feel better get some gloves.
    keep in mind though that even if you do get bit, the most you will feel is a little sting. if it's still a baby, you may not feel it at all! the first time i was bit, i didn't realize it until i looked down and saw little droplets of blood. as long as you clean it thoroughly (sp?) it's not a problem. i wouldn't worry about gloves unless you're pretty skiddish!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

My boa baby was a bit bitey the first couple weeks, so now I use a glove just to lift him out the tub, but then I take it off while I'm handling him. Go straight in after him; if you're apprehensive, he'll get nervous.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess
    keep in mind though that even if you do get bit, the most you will feel is a little sting. if it's still a baby, you may not feel it at all! the first time i was bit, i didn't realize it until i looked down and saw little droplets of blood. as long as you clean it thoroughly (sp?) it's not a problem. i wouldn't worry about gloves unless you're pretty skiddish!
    Natural reaction is to jerk your hand back when the bite comes. If you do this and they make contact you could risk hurting them more than you. Most people feel safer with a glove and it helps stifle the flinch response we have.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BaLLPAddICT
    It's not that much of a problem but I was wondering if anyone could help me get my ball a more comfortable around people and not so insecure. I've got his cage set up good for him. It's a 7 qt which I thought would do good for him while I try to help him become more secure. I'm going to be putting him in a 28qt soon. I've used hides which he likes but he still keeps striking every chance he gets, I just got him a couple weeks ago, he is a het male which I heard are typically a little more aggresive than "normals". He's still pretty little 380 grams I think it was when I weighed him. Should I try holding him as much as I can? I hold him once in a while. Another problem is he is too focused on looking at me when I try feeding. And all he does is bite the rat/mouse instead of eat it. He's not eating well and I'm thinking he feels insecure which is a problem. I was also wondering if this would effect breeding once he's big enough. So any tips please about making him feel better and the feeding? Thanks!
    Try this,
    Forget about handling him till after 2 or 3 successfull feeds.
    This should give him enough time to get used to (and feel safe and secure) his new home.
    Just change his water and clean the poop etc...

Feeding...
    Not too sure what you've tried to feed him rats or mice??
    I'd try rats 1st...
    When u go to choose your next rat, choose one that is smaller than the girth of your snake. 3/4 at most!! 1/2 the girth if possible.
    Make sure it's thawed and nice and warm, hairdrier etc...
    and doesnt smell so bad.
    Use tongs, grip the rat by the end of tail, "dance" the rat slowly ( just a little wiggle) toward the snake, till u get to 6 inch away.. keep dancing slightly hehe. Wait at 6 inch away till your snake begins to coil... (like preloading a spring) move slightly closer... snake will move slightly closer. keep dancing... Move slightly closer, 2 or 3 cm's... Then it's gone!!
    Feed late evening (low light) and if he takes the bait, back off and leave him alone for a hour. If he hasnt eaten it after a hour remove and try again leave at least 5 days later. Only contact should still be water and poop only.
    If he doesnt eat it try a small mouse.

If he does eat it. Repeat with same size after 7 days.

What you're aiming for
    1st is to get him feeding. Thats most important.
    2nd is he will get used to you by changing his water and cleaning tasks. 3rd Forget the word taming!! Think of it more like he'll put up with you, cus he's belly's always full and he's nice and warm.

Eventually, he'll work out that you handling him isn't a threat, but he still wont like it that much.

Hope that helps.
    Garth

Thanks

Post back soon, let us know how he's feedings going.
    Feed small!!
    Dont pick him up!! (i know how hard that is, wont be for long)
    On the feed day change water when u check he's eaten.

He'll be fine

Thanks

Okay, thanks a lot! I will be sure to let you know how things go next time I feed him.
    - Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast