Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,398

2 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP killed mouse but did not eat it

Some quick background on my setup:
    20 gallon tank
    Temps are normal (82-84 cool, 89-91 hot)
    Humidity ~%56
    Digital Thermometer + Digital thermocouple
    2 identical hides

Pretty standard I think.

Well he hasn't eaten since I bought him 3 months ago. No real stress there, he seems active and healthy and acts like 98% of BPs out there. Well I tried F/T rats, live rats, and F/T mice to no avail. Well yesterday I went and got him a live mouse and he killed it within minutes. . .but that's the end of the story. He looked like he was swallowing it but when I came back 5 mins later, it was just laying on the side of his tank. He just ignored the dead mouse and began his evening routine of trying to escape.

Is this normal.

Thanks

Re: BP killed mouse but did not eat it

Some bps are extremely shy eaters, if they see any movement in the room they will "spit" and run. They are extremely vulnerable when eating in the wild, so it's a natural instinct. Next time you feed him, wait till its almost dark out and put his food in the cage. As soon as you see him take the mouse, leave the room slowly. Don't go back in for at least 30 minutes and see if that works.
    "Wild" Bill Hicok

Wild Bill's Ball Pythons

Thanks

a picture of your setup is best. Are there no fake plants? mines didnt eat until I made it(tank) more secure. Correct me if im wrong, but pretty much fill the tank up. That helped for me. let us know. Was there still daylight out? Try the evening if you havent yet. Hope this helps. But yeah post the setup and im sure members will help you out.

Thanks

Oh another thing that would help is placing a background and a sideground i guess. I got a black poster board cut it to size and taped it to the back, sides and front. The front so I can turn on the light in the room and not disturb my snakes.

Thanks

After 3 months, I would think the nightly escape attempts should have ceased. Sounds like something is keeping the snake stressed out. Are you handling him a lot, or daily?
    Krazy has the right idea. If you don't have foliage, you could wad up some newspaper and toss it about the tank, until the snake feels more secure. Also, try not handling at all for a few days before the next feeding attempt.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest getting a fecal done, maybe he has internal parasites.

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Some bps are extremely shy eaters, if they see any movement in the room they will "spit" and run. They are extremely vulnerable when eating in the wild, so it's a natural instinct. Next time you feed him, wait till its almost dark out and put his food in the cage. As soon as you see him take the mouse, leave the room slowly. Don't go back in for at least 30 minutes and see if that works.
    bingo

one big thing i suspect you are doing wrong is watching the snake eat. in a lit room. if i were you i would put the mouse in there turn the lights off/ and leave the room. bp's are verry private sometimes. i have a few that will only eat if i am no where in sight or smell range. try it and i bet you it will eat after it kills. i have only ever had one snake that killed something and did not eat it and it was because i was standing right there. so lesson learned. give it a try in a few days and let know how it goes. if you see the snake hit it and coil leave the room and dont check till the next morning.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

same thing happened with my guy... so i turn all the lights off, cept for a little black light so i can see what im doing. then once he takes the mouse i shut the light off and leave the room. this is how i have to feed my guy all the time, if i try and watch he won't eat. sometimes i leave the black light on and hide behind the couch, and he will eat that way. but most of the time he drags the mouse back to his hide and eats in peace.

what kind of hides are you using. if they are too big that might be why he is always looking to escape.
    -Kevin

Thanks

Smile Re: BP killed mouse but did not eat it

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy99CL
    I got a black poster board cut it to size and taped it to the back, sides and front. The front so I can turn on the light in the room and not disturb my snakes.
    I forgot to mention that. But yes, I have the black poster board covering 3 sides. Aluminum Foil/Tape covering the top.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    After 3 months, I would think the nightly escape attempts should have ceased. Sounds like something is keeping the snake stressed out. Are you handling him a lot, or daily?
    I don't handle him alot. At most once a week. He is kept in our study away from people traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES
    one big thing i suspect you are doing wrong is watching the snake eat. in a lit room.
    Lights are off and I fed him at night. Although I DID accidently turn on the light for a second when I went back to check on him and make sure the mouse wasn't chewing it's way through him. I did not think he could be that sensitive. My previous BP ate during with day and with an audience. Just goes to show that these guys have different personalities.

Thanks for your help cats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kagez28
    what kind of hides are you using. if they are too big that might be why he is always looking to escape.
    I use hollow plastic log-type hides. He uses them sometimes, other times he gets between the hide and the vivarium glass. I was worried that they might be be too big, but I imagine that he would not use them at all if they were. I also thought that it might be too hot because he likes to spend the day in the cool hide but at night he seems very attracted to the heat lamp. I am using a 75W infra-red light but it is lifted up from the screen and it maintains the temps where they should be.

He gets very active at night for a few hours. I figured that it is in their nature to 'roam' during the night hours. He eventually goes back to the cool side at about 3-4am. Relaxes ON the hide, and then eventually creeps back into the hide, or into the crevice that he has made himself between the log and vivarium glass.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    Krazy has the right idea. If you don't have foliage, you could wad up some newspaper and toss it about the tank, until the snake feels more secure. Also, try not handling at all for a few days before the next feeding attempt.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest getting a fecal done, maybe he has internal parasites.

escape attempts never quit, when a ball is moving around they are basically lookiing for away out.... there not moving around for exercise..

Budda- male--360g- 100% het Albino from
    www.allstarmorphs.com thanks Larry.
    Montu- male--788g- normal
    Baby-????--338g- normal
    Sunita- female--1684g- normal
    Groper- male--1970g- normal--Rescued 03/07-- May 07 BPOM
    Sheikra--female--1697g- normal- Rescued 05/19/07

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast