Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

2 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Suggestions wanted! :D

I just bought a used 50 gal breeder for my snake. I have yet to buy the new supplies for it so before I do, I thought I'd get suggestions from people on here. I know it's a large tank and need ideas on how to keep the temps regulated. The care sheet says to tape the top to help keep in heat. But I'm afraid that will also keep in humidity and therefore mold and yuckies. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I'd like to hear peoples' experiences with different brands of heaters, thermostats, etc. Is one type better than another? Any original suggestions are good too - home-made hides that worked particularly well, etc. I have a brand new tank to set up! Any and all suggestions welcome. I could go in any direction with this!

Thanks

Re: Suggestions wanted! :D

Here is a sticky on setting up glass tanks. Normally unless you mist too often the humidity doesn't get high enough consistenty to cause mold...but if you notice it getting too high you simply have to remove some of the tape covering the top to vent the air till you get it dialed in.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=32800

A 50Gal is long so I suggest you consider more than 2 hides and stuff to take up space (sticks, wadded newspaper, fake vines, etc.)...it will make your baby more comfortable.
    Sean

Thanks

Well let me start by saying that it's pretty typical of someone to get the tank and have all these struggles in the world...First it's keeping temps right, then it's keeping humidity right, and yada yada yada...it's a lot easier keeping them in something as simple and cheap as a rubbermaid tub.

HOWEVER...some people like the look of that big ol' cage (which I might add, may be too big...you should consider sectioning off part of the cage)...It looks good, it's an attention getter...i used to have 3...but maintainence was a pain.

There's nothing wrong with wanting something that looks appealing, as long as you maintain everything properly. Humidity is pretty good in Florida. I find that I don't have to mist or do much because the humidity is already high here. Your issue may be temps....i'll let someone else with more know how inform you on keeping temps properly for tanks, because I've forgotten everything about a good tank set up. forgive me..it's been years

Thanks

We HAd a 55 gallon at one point for a bp...we had a screen to and I taped and foiled the screen as suggested and it worked great!! Since they are tall we left a circle out for the heat lamp and used a uth hooked to a dimmer switch at the time to regulate the temps...you have to work with the tape and foil...at times it was right on and other times the humidity was slightly high...I would also move the dish from the warm side to the cool side if needed to bring the humidity up or down...you wont have to worry about mold etc...spot clean it daily or however much is needed and clean it out well each week. We did 2 hides (snug of course) a water bowl in the middle...backing on the back of the tank to close it in a bit...at times I would also drap a sheet over the back and sides to close it in better if she seemed shy about the openess...also had tree for her to climb on...I really hated the tank with a passion and now rack them all...I never felt happy about not being able to dump it all out and really clean the crap out of it..maybe that's just me *shrugs* If you like the look of a large piece versus racking them then why not look into a nice set up from Animal Plastics? Or another supplier...I love the T3 (from Animal Plastics) I have for one BP ..I never have to worry about the humidity in that thing!!!!
    Also make sure to really clean out the tank before setting it up for the BP..I dont know what was housed in it before but you said it was used...

Either way you need to get the screen taped up...uth on a thermostat or dimmer...2 snug hides..a water dish....and so on...the set up list for glass tanks and every other sticky on here are right on and created by folks who know what they are doing...give it a try..you wont be dissapointed!
    Also what part of FL are ya in? I'm in SW Fl near Fort Myers.
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

Thanks

I knew I might have issues because of the size, but it only cost me $25. I couldn't pass it up. It looks brand new except for some scuff marks on the black rim. I've been reading the glass tank setup sticky over and over making sure I remember everything. I'll go ahead and use the taped top method and see how it goes. I wanna get a background on there for aesthetic purposes so I'm glad it makes them feel better. -lol-

I live in SE Florida. Closest to Miami than anything really.

Thanks

I wish I lived on that coast again I love SE FL darn it!! SW FL SUCKS!

But yeah I hear ya on the cheap factor...that's why we had ours..we got 4 bp's in about 2-3 weeks (they came in pairs...the first 2 were from some woman who couldnt care for them and then while in the pet store one day 2 punk kids asked if we wanted the 2 they had...) so we housed them the cheapest way at first and now rack them...which is also a cheap way if you are crafty and build the rack yourself like we did and alot of others do.

It's just all trial and error...I used black gorilla tape I picked up at Home Depot...you can get a dimmer switch there aswell for all of 10 bucks if that. Make sure you do have a temp gun though...you need to know exactly what the temp is...and grab an el cheapo Accu-rite to read the humidity (Mine was around $10 at wal-mart)

Keep us posted There's a million and one cheap ways you can house your snakes and do it right
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun
    I just bought a used 50 gal breeder for my snake. I have yet to buy the new supplies for it so before I do, I thought I'd get suggestions from people on here. I know it's a large tank and need ideas on how to keep the temps regulated. The care sheet says to tape the top to help keep in heat. But I'm afraid that will also keep in humidity and therefore mold and yuckies. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I'd like to hear peoples' experiences with different brands of heaters, thermostats, etc. Is one type better than another? Any original suggestions are good too - home-made hides that worked particularly well, etc. I have a brand new tank to set up! Any and all suggestions welcome. I could go in any direction with this!
    mold and yuckies

Thanks

For a more budget approach on hides go with plastic flower pots. For heating a good source I love to use is heat spot lights. If youre worried about to much heat get a controlled thermostat and keep temps as stated in the caresheets.