Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

2 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What does it mean when my snake...

Picks up her head and stares upward into space and wont look at me no matter what I do? I walked in from the kitchen cooking chicken and she was curled up under the heat lamp with her head picked up, staring into space (not at the heat lamp). I took off the top and peered over and tried to see what she was looking at but there was nothing there. I even wiggled my chicken fingers (haha) in front of her (even if that wasnt the smartest move) and she didnt respond. Why did she do that? She does it on rare occasions. Does it mean anything or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks

Re: What does it mean when my snake...

she 's just checkin things out.

Thanks

I don't know much about what "star gazing" indicates as far as a snake's health, but from descriptions I've read on the site, it sounds like "star gazing". Someone else can probably weigh in here on what it means (if anything).
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

not stargazing, sounds more like she's just sniffin and lookin around a bit checkin what's up

Thanks

You might want to keep an eye on that because I had a snake that did that and it WAS star gazing.

Thanks

Well, she's only done it on RARE occasions. Like, in the months that I've had her I've seen her do it maybe 2 or 3 times. But what does star gazing mean? I know I've heard people talk about problems because a snake kept looking up. thats why I brought this up

Thanks

My ball was star gazing because he had IBD (inclusion body disease) which is fatal. If you've had her for a long time, it's probably not that, because the disease acts very quickly.

Has she been to the vet since you've had her?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    You might want to keep an eye on that because I had a snake that did that and it WAS star gazing.
    not every movement or behavior of a snake is caused by a disease, a snake looking up does not mean it's stargazing, usually it just means its curious, ball pythons have a habit of doing the real cute periscope thing, but my rainbows just look directly up into the air. star-gazing would usually show as more of an inability to right itself or more or a tipping over type thing, not a controlled staring.
    although, that being said, it's never a bad thing to worry about your critter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qiksilver
    not every movement or behavior of a snake is caused by a disease, a snake looking up does not mean it's stargazing, usually it just means its curious, ball pythons have a habit of doing the real cute periscope thing, but my rainbows just look directly up into the air. star-gazing would usually show as more of an inability to right itself or more or a tipping over type thing, not a controlled staring.
    although, that being said, it's never a bad thing to worry about your critter.
    LOOK. All I said is keep an eye out. Because something very innocent can be more serious. That's all.

Thanks

She hasn't been to the vet because, aside from a few minor things the old owner did that I didn't agree with (type of bedding used, size of water bowl, amount of heat used, etc.) there was nothing wrong with her care and she looks and acts perfectly healthy. I also think the owner said he took her to the vet for a basic check up and sexing shortly before he gave her to me. Since I have no other snakes that might get infected or whatnot from this one, I wasn't too concerned about it.

Naturally, if I thought there was the slightest thing wrong with her I would run her to the vet. But so far, she's been wonderful. Always eats, active when I take her out, moves from one side of the tank to the other to regulate her heat, sweet disposition; no problems what so ever *knock on wood*.

I just found it curious that even with chicken waved in front of her, she didn't respond. She was laying back down again when I came back in. I didn't pick her up or anything because she's going dull and I think she's going to enter shed again. I don't want to bother her if she hasn't given me reason to worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast