Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

1 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

First Shed with me :(

First Shed was bad it was in pieces I tried but just had too much humidity problems my fluckers read 75% but my accurite only read 54% so I am starting to thing that one of them is off and it leans to the fluckers one.

But King looks really shiny after the shed had really nice color to him.
    Dean

1.0 Normal Bp -King

Thanks

Re: First Shed with me :(

the first shed i had with my bp was bad, too. it is all a learning experince. get your himidity and temps rihgt, and you will be golden. it's really exciting when you have a perfect shed for teh first time. better luck next month!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

It sounds as if all the shed came off without your help. If that's the case then be happy! It doesn't matter if it broke into pieces along the way or not. A "perfect shed" is one that is simply complete that you don't have to help with.

Also, if I remember right, you've only had the snake for a short time...so any difficulty shedding he may have had could likely be due to poor conditions and constant low humidity he may have been in before you got him. So long as you keep the humidity fairly consistently at or above 50%, you'll likely get a "keepsake shed" next time...a complete one that you can stretch out and save if you wish. (So long as there's no stinky presents rolled in it! )
    -- Judy

Thanks

now, i have a question, do some balls shed better than others? i ask because when i had my two together (bad, i know! separated now!) floyd always shed in one or two pieces but kiara always has trouble! she always needs help. just curious....
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess
    now, i have a question, do some balls shed better than others? i ask because when i had my two together (bad, i know! separated now!) floyd always shed in one or two pieces but kiara always has trouble! she always needs help. just curious....
    Yes, there are always individual exceptions. A few bp's will have trouble shedding no matter what humidity they are kept at. And a few bp's will shed flawlessly even in less-than-ideal conditions.

A hint for a problem shedder: Many people think that if they soak their snake prior to it shedding, it will help. But this usually makes things worse, rather than easier. Just like the water leaches out essential oils from our own skin (wrinkled fingers after a bath or swimming) it will leach out the extra fluids the snake is trying to produce in order to slough off the old skin. Instead of soaking before a shed....wait until the snake has finished, and THEN if there's stuck shed left, use the soaking method to help get it off.
    -- Judy