Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

3 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

My tiny snake... prey size question

Nag is my first BP, so I apologize for all the first timer questions, but I just want what's best for him, and asking the pet store kids doesn't really help! When he came to me he came with his tank and all his mites and stuff, and the guy told me he was eating adult mice (f/t) I tried to switch him to rat pups, but he refused both times they were offered, but struck just fine for the mice. (the corn actually refused the rat pinkies too! maybe they don't like rats!?) I'd tried to switch after hearing about the health benefits (or the arguments that there are some ) but then it doesn't matter if he won't touch them... but while watching him eat, I wonder if he doesn't need 2 smaller things still since he's still so small! He's an 06 who was 135 grams last month at the vet, but he's eaten 2x (refused 2x with the rats) and shed and gotten rid of his mites since then, so he should be on track to grow...

Here is a pic of him eating a small mouse last weekend. He did not soak afterwards and is doing fine... (hasn't soaked or really roamed the tank since kicking the mites- I never really see him out- is that normal?) maybe it's just me! I just see that his neck is normally only as big around as one of my little stubby fingers and then it goes to this size, and I know he wouldn't get perfectly sized meals in the wild, but he wouldn't get dead meals dangled for him either! (I feed in a separate enclosure because I don't want blood and gore in his tank under that light it seems like it'd be a bit dirty for him- I'll continue to do so as long as he keeps eating in his separate enclosure.)

Thanks

Re: My tiny snake... prey size question

Our guys and gals hardly ever come out...they do when its feeding day lol. They are perfectly happy and healthy snuggled tightly in their hides...I'm sure yours is doing well.

What's your set up and numbers (humidity.heat etc.) Dont know if you already listed them in another thread or not *shrugs*
    We feed our BP's small smalls. (rats..and our tiny gal gets rat pups when I have them...a tiny mouse when I dont) I do have one that wont eat small small rats...but will eat a large mouse or a rat pup about the same size as one. *sighs*
    Ours never soak...they just dont...some folks snakes do and some dont...most everyone will tell you, you dont need a water dish large enough for them to soak in if everything else is spot on. Yours was soaking with the mites because it helped relieve the itching from them...now that he is clean there is no reason to...
    Hope this help and thanks for the picture..we love pics
    Also how much blood and gore can there be? We never have anything other then a spot or 2 of blood every blue moon.
    I rack my husbands balls & show my rack on Ball-Pythons.net
    ~I make girls with balls look good~

Qiksilver "
    yes, watch your children, I'll convert them to satanism..."

Thanks

I may be thawing the food wrong- I soak in hot water for the amt of time on the package, but sometimes with the smaller ones they come apart and drip guts and mousejuice when I'm dangling... and other times it happens when he coils...

He's in a 20L aquarium with a covered screen lid, a UTH and a lamp.. My temps stay at 92-95 hot/ 80 cool and about 66% humidity (I think he's fixin' to shed again though so I've been boosting the humidity it's usually between 50-60)

I mentioned soaking because he used to do it and I saw him do it after one meal (when he still had mites though), but he didn't after this meal in the picture, and since I was wondering if the food was too big I thought it'd be worth mentioning that he didn't soak after that meal.

Thanks

Yeah I forgot you fed F/T I had a few nose bleeders/gushers when we fed F/T.

What ya using to check the temps and as far as a thermostat?

Qiksilver "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAudOne
    Yeah I forgot you fed F/T I had a few nose bleeders/gushers when we fed F/T.

What ya using to check the temps and as far as a thermostat?
    No thermostat, but I have an accurite with a probe thing. Probe on the hot side, reader on the cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gibbrishclown
    No thermostat, but I have an accurite with a probe thing. Probe on the hot side, reader on the cool.
    k..you need to get a thermostat to monitor the uth.....they have the potential to reach levels way to high for your lil one...we checked ours and it went over 110 degrees in no time with no thermostat. You can pick up a dimmer switch at Wal-mart that plugs into the wall and then plug your uth into that...it allows you to raise and lower (dim) the uth's heat...it also wont hurt to get a temp gun...Brian got one from a restaraunt supply shop for measuring the temps of food...but you can get a cheaper one..just see what degree they fluctuate.
    This will let you know the exact temps of the bottom of the set up..to insure it isnt to hot (so no burns happen) or to cool Hope that helps ya ) And more pictures

Qiksilver "