Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,095

6 members and 3,089 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg Problem

Thanks

Egg Problem

Hey everybody.

This is my situation. I have 5 bp eggs they are in a tuperware container that is maintained at about 88 degrees. The container is inside a larger incubater with a small fan. I also have 1 foot of 11'' flexwat under the container to help boost the humidity. I have been adding water every week (about a half a cup) because there are 2 of the 5 eggs that are collapsing in on themselves. 2 others aren't 100% plump but look alright and one looks really great. So today i put som seran wrap over the lip, then put the cover back on to try and hold in more of the humidity. You guys have any other suggestions?? I just don't want to lose any. They are due June 1st.

Thanks
    ~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Re: Egg Problem

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
    Hey everybody.

This is my situation. I have 5 bp eggs they are in a tuperware container that is maintained at about 88 degrees. The container is inside a larger incubater with a small fan. I also have 1 foot of 11'' flexwat under the container to help boost the humidity. I have been adding water every week (about a half a cup) because there are 2 of the 5 eggs that are collapsing in on themselves. 2 others aren't 100% plump but look alright and one looks really great. So today i put som seran wrap over the lip, then put the cover back on to try and hold in more of the humidity. You guys have any other suggestions?? I just don't want to lose any.

Thanks
    ~mike
    This sounds like an issue I had. A few questions to confirm. Is the tuperware that eggs are in sealed closed? How much bigger then the tupperware is the larger incubator? What is the humidity in the larger unit?

My issue was a result of the humidity inside the tuperware being way different than the incubator humidity. I resolved it by adding a large bowl of water in the incubator to raise the overall humidity...then the egg containers seemed to due better.
    Sean

Thanks

[QUOTE=lord jackel]This sounds like an issue I had. A few questions to confirm. Is the tuperware that eggs are in sealed closed? How much bigger then the tupperware is the larger incubator? What is the humidity in the larger unit?
    [QUOTE]

The tuperware container has a snap tight lid, but i have my wires for the t stat running in over the edge which i figured was the main reason for the decrease in temp.the incubater is about 3 times bigger than the tuperware container. I would estimate the humidity to be about 80-85% in the larger container. I was thinkin about putting in a water bowl to help reduce the humidity loss.

thanks Sean,

~Mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Raising the humidity in the incubator could help, but there is no need to control the incubator humidity if your egg boxes are sealed. I would recommend mixing up another batch of incubation medium in a new egg box, transferring the eggs over and sealing it up from the start. They should all make it if you can get the humidity up to ~100% soon. I have had very sunken eggs hatch just fine.

-Evan

Thanks

Hi guys,

You think I should use Glad Press and seal or something like that to comletely seal it up??I think i remember reading on here that a few people do that.

~mike

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I've only had one clutch so bear with me.

Two out of the three eggs I had hatch were dented fairly deeply - pics below.

In the last pic the egg is dented deeply across the middle and at the time of hatching was almost flat. :eek:

The incubator I used was a fishtank 1/3 full of water so humidity was at 100% constantly.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Yea mine looks just like those. They are beginning to plump little by little. I premoistened the vermiculite and put press and seal all around the lip. It is holding the humidity great, i think they will be okay. Their color still looks halfway decent.

~mike

Thanks

How deep is the container and how deep is the substrate? With the proper vermic mixture and a sealed egg box, you should never need to add water.

Thanks

The container is about 6 inches deep with tub dimensions about 5x10 or 12 (sorry not at my house at this second) there is about 4 inches of substrate. I think the type of container i was using didn't seal up as much as i thought it would. Also the door to the incubator was sliding plastic and there is only about 18 inches between the upper fan and the top of the egg box, so the combination of that, the poorly sealing tub and first time error i think it is more under control. So i re hydrated the substrate and put the press and seal around the top and i now know that for the next year i will have things more under control and done correctly. Thanks for all your help everybody! i will keep you all updated!

~mike

Thanks

Just wanted to let everyone know, the collapsing eggs have now puffed up to just about normal (still slightly winkley). Very Happy, thanks for the help guys!!

~mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast