Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

0 members and 3,336 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone...

Thanks

Hi everyone...

I started out with a Leo. Now after 2 or 3 years, My husband and I are waiting on our first pair of Balls!! We are picking them up in two weeks, so I wanted to make sure I have all my info correct.

Basking or hot spot should be at 88-92 and the ambient air temp should be 78-80, never below 75! I want to use a Uth with a thermostat and digital thermometers with a prob to read and control temps. Baby balls like small spaces so I thought a shoe box tub would work but for how long? Humidity should be around 50-60%. Water bowl and Hides 2(?)

Anything I need to adjust?
    ~Weena
    3.1 Leopard Geckos ~ Ralph,Karl,Harshad and Lizzy
    RIP~ Whitey
    1 Albino Pacman Frog ~ Artimus
    2.0 Cornsnakes~ FS and Cinno-mon
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hi everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by geckochick
    I started out with a Leo. Now after 2 or 3 years, My husband and I are waiting on our first pair of Balls!! We are picking them up in two weeks, so I wanted to make sure I have all my info correct.

Basking or hot spot should be at 88-92 and the ambient air temp should be 78-80, never below 75! I want to use a Uth with a thermostat and digital thermometers with a prob to read and control temps. Baby balls like small spaces so I thought a shoe box tub would work but for how long? Humidity should be around 50-60%. Water bowl and Hides 2(?)

Somebody get this lady a prize.. WOW right On girl. Way to make an impression. Looks like you did your home work..

They will out grow a shoe box in two or three months I'd suggest getting two 29gal long tanks and setting them up like this .
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=32800

A rack for two balls is a little over the top. I used tanks till I got more than three..

Welcome to the site and if we can help lets us know..

P.S make sure the hides are the same size.
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 04-26-2007 at 05:09 PM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Hi Weena, welcome to the forum!

Everything looks pretty good. I like to keep my low end in the low 80s, but 78-80 shouldn't be a problem. As far as when to move them up from shoebox size cages... I tend to move them up to sweater box sized at around 500-600 grams, but depending on your snake you should be able to move up as early as 3-400 grams if you want. Some snakes seem to appreciate the extra space and others seem like they'd be happy living in a shoebox all their life.

Be sure to post some pics when you get them!

-Lawrence

Thanks

Wow, Thanks for such a welcome!!
    I would think that researching a pet before you get a pet would be common sense. But, I know very well, that there is alot of incorrect info out there. People/Places that misinform/distribute wrong care info mainly due to either a lack of willingness to learn or they get there information from unreliable sources.
    I hope I can be a valuable asset to this Forum. Most of my experience is with Leo's but I am eager to learn and to share my knowledge with others.
    ~Weena
    RIP~ Whitey
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would think that researching a pet before you get a pet would be common sense.
    It should be.....but impulse buys account for 95% of the people with loads of husbandry problems.

Again welcome to the site and make your self at home..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

and welcome. Congrats on your first ball pythons and being prepared BEFORE they arrive.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I started out with a Leo. Now after 2 or 3 years, My husband and I are waiting on our first pair of Balls!!

Just a quick question: you're getting two... are you planning on hausing them together?

Thanks

Welcome to BPNet, Weena. It's heartwarming to see someone that is actually doing their homework first, getting enclosures ready, that sort of thing well before bringing the snake home. Now since no one has yet harrassed you for pics of your current critters...might I be the first to say....HEY GOT ANY PICS? WE LIKE PICS! WE REALLY REALLY LIKE PICS!!!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    It should be.....but impulse buys account for 95% of the people with loads of husbandry problems.
    I totally agree! After all, isn't that what the retail industry is all about? Unfortunately instructions don't come on the side of the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Just a quick question: you're getting two... are you planning on housing them together?
    Yes, I am getting two. I was planning on using a shoe box tub for each. How big of hides do I need? I am not sure how big baby balls are.

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Now since no one has yet harassed you for pics of your current critters...might I be the first to say....HEY GOT ANY PICS? WE LIKE PICS! WE REALLY REALLY LIKE PICS!!!
    I am so frustrated with the hole posting pics thing!! I found the demo on how to do it, I figured it all out, and then when I hit the upload button the page goes blank. Wierd... And, then I tried using Photo bucket and it said my files were not jpg, which I know is BS.... still trying
    ~Weena
    RIP~ Whitey
    1.1 Balls~Donut and Star

Thanks

It may be that they aren't resized for forum posting? You can also upload them into your free gallery here then just cut and paste the img tag and they should show up.

As far as hides for baby bp's I just love the ones I get from the good old dollar store. Three small dark blue cereal bowls for all of a dollar, we melt a hole in the "roof" and bingo...nice sized baby bp hides that they seem to love, easy for me to clean and when they grow out of them I just disinfect them, pop them into a big ziploc bag and keep them for the next babies to come along. Here's one of our 06's tucked up happy in her hide.

They are just now starting to grow out of these hides so will move up to the next size up blue cereal bowl (it's pretty much a regular size bowl, this one pictured is smaller than a full sized cereal bowl).
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast